Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on trimming my fenders and putting 37's on my stock suspension. I'd like to get some opinions on what tires i should run. The major thing that I'm looking for would be long lasting tires. I've searched the forums for this quite a bit, and found some that only got 10 to 15k, some 30k though. I'd like to get the hightest possible, so I guess this means getting a hard tire? I'm sure that I'd like a radial tire, preferably a MT. It seems like the AT tires last longer, but they also don't seem like they'd perform too well. Money is an issue, I'm pretty positive that I won't be buying them new anyway. I've heard that the BFG MT's were some of the best. They have a good ride, perform well, and last fairly long. Can anyone back this up or mention some other good ones? Thanks

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
BFG A/T's are perdy awesome in snow, haven't gotten stuck yet with them

·
Registered
150 Posts
A/T is good in the snow but not so hot in the mud.

M/T is made for the mud, not that great in the snow.

What do you mean by 37's and stock suspension..?

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mean that so I have next to no money I'm just going to trim my fenders up 3 inches or so to compensate for the 3 inch increase on each side of the tire from 31's to 37's. I'll be piecing together a 6 inch lift after I can afford it. Planning on getting a NP 435 tranny before any of this though. I think I've seen a couple trucks with 37's with just trimmed fenders, correct me if I'm wrong though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
from what I've read on here, 37inch tires are not a good idea on the ttb. Your ttb might wear out before the tires do...

but as far as mud terrains, I have a set of avons (made by cooper) and they are horrible on ice and snow. I definitely wouldn't recommend them as year round tires if you plan on driving the bronc in the winter.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I've heard that it's not good to go above a 37" tire on the TTB either. Not sure if that applies to just the rock crawlers or the DD/weekend mild offroader. I was originally planning on 35's but they seem to look kind of small in trimmed wheel wells. And by steering issues I guess you'd mean rub on the radius arms right? I alread have a fair amouth with my 31's :S I think I might just got for a little bit less trim... like right at the upper crease on the fender perhaps? and then call it good at 35's. Not planning on going totally crazy with the thing anyway, just mild to medium wheeling. Sound ok?

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
I've had a set of 35" Mud King mud terrain tires on my Bronco for a couple of years, they normally last me about 35-40K miles and cost $110/tire. Great in mud, too. My 84 Bronco has a 6" suspension lift and still the tires can rub on the body at times. As for cutting the fender openings, I would stick with nothing taller than a 35. You'll still likely get some contact crossing a ditch.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I run 33s and cant make nearly a full turn in a parking lot without rubbing on the radius arm. I cant imagine what 37 would be like without a lift.

good luck tho,
NJB

·
Registered
185 Posts
daverbmxer said:
How do they perform in snow and mud though? In North Dakota the winter is here 9 months of the year you know lol.

Thats were I want to be. I love the snow.

I wouldn't go anything larger than 35 w/ a daily driver.

·
Registered
258 Posts
A/T are cheaper than M/T usually, and good for all around performance, if your not a full time off road rig. Once you get over 35" tires the price rises dramatically so I've noticed.
M/T are not for snow and ice.
I don't know if I would go cutting on my truck if your thinking of a future lift that will accomodate the tires your looking for.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i heard the same thing about 37's on the ttb. Im getting a 8" skyjacker lift and want to run either 36's or 37's. i'll mostly be running it on the backroads with some offroad. nothing that would be beating the sh.. out of it. I'd also like to hear some feedback on this subject.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I think that trimming my fenders would be the best solution when I don't have much money. I'm planning on cutting the arc just below the upper crease. Then I'll but some vertical slits right up to the upper crease, and bend it back with a rubber mallet maybe. Seems like what most of the guys have done that do it. Then hopefully I can weld a piece of 1/16th inch metal on the underside of the trim to cover the gap between the inner and outer sheetmetal of the fenders. I also have some 10 inch rims that stick quite a ways out, so hopefully I will still be able to turn fairly sharp with 12.50 tires. By the way, I guess that AT tires would be about the best for steep slopes with gravel right? That will be mostly what I'm doing is alot of logging road stuff in BC.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Just get some 35" BFG ATs and be done with it. They are great in snow/ice, some guys have gotten more than 50k out of a new set, and they are pretty easy to come by used.

37s will KILL your TTB if you do anything but street. Your turning radius would be worse than a four door, long bed super duty as well. 35s are really too big to run w/o any lift, but it is doable . . .

Another thing; correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't BFG make you go up to a 17" wheel to run 37s? I can't remember if thats the case or not. If thats so, your plans of cheap 37s are fawked.

·
Registered
244 Posts
For light off roading, I think you should run 31's until you get your lift, then change your tires. I ran 32's with no rub, but know 33's rub, anything bigger and you are asking for rub. If your present tires are shot, I would wait on the exact size I wanted until after the lift. I understand money issues, I want a lift, but needed new tires, so I bought 31's in an A/T until I get $$$.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,998 Posts
no one has even mentioned the crappy performance you're going to get by going that much bigger tire without re-gearing. 35's its going to be pretty noticeable, imo, (especially with a 302), 37's forget it, that truck will become a pig.

i'm with hms79 on this. wait until you can afford to do it the right way the first time.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, thanks, I've thought about it long and hard. My NP 435 tranny is top priority. I'm sure you guys all know but it's the 4 speed manual with a super low first gear. Twice as low as my current manual transmisison. If it were an automatic I would be more concerned, but I'm deciding when to shift it anyway. I think I should be fine, wouldn't you agree? I'll have a 61:1 crawl ratio...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts