Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I purchased an 87 Bronco...

Now I am running into a problem, it does not run, which I knew, but it is about 100 miles away from my house.

I planned to rent a dolly from u-haul, but they say that I cannot pull a bronco because they are too big...

Towing it will cost me about $350 which is insane being that I paid just $600 for this thing.

So I am thinking about buying a tow bar, and bringing it back that way. I have done some reading and most people say that this is not a good option either.

Like I said I have about 100 miles that I would need to tow it. Do you think I will be ok? The tow bar is ofcoarse rated for 5000 lbs.

Any other ideas?

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
those uhaul dual axle flat beds should be able to hold it no problem.... we fit a tahoe on one

·
TTB for short
2,189 Posts
Have a friend with AAA? AAA plus members go up to 100 miles for free. The member has to be with the vehicle though, so buy your friend dinner to sit around a half hour (or more, after all it is AAA) and wait for the tow truck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree that AAA is your best option here. If you want to risk the U-Haul dolley you need to tell them you are towing something smaller like a sedan. Then they are going to ask you what you are towing with and make sure your tow vehicle is capable of towing the dolley with the "sedan." Then you go and pick up the Bronco and off you go. Only thing is if there is a problem with the dolley and you get busted it will be your dime to fix. That being said if I couldn't use AAA then I would risk the dolley.

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
Have a friend with AAA? AAA plus members go up to 100 miles for free. The member has to be with the vehicle though, so buy your friend dinner to sit around a half hour (or more, after all it is AAA) and wait for the tow truck.
Thats what I was thinking. Or if you don't have AAA or a friend with it why not just buy a AAA Plus membership, its 90 bucks a year(thats what I pay anyway) and its well worth it

·
TTB for short
2,189 Posts
I hate AAA... but I confess, I have used it once. My gf's parents have it for her and we used it when the Bronco blew up on a camping trip. Guy looked at me kinda funny when I had him dump me off at mcdonalds exactly 100 miles from where he picked me up and one of my drivers was waiting to take us the rest of the way lol. They charge $4/mile for overmilage.

If you have any AAA questions feel free to hit me up. I used to tow for them for years before I knew the difference between net profit (or lack thereof) and gross profit

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
ive used a tow bar on mine, for a stock or stockish bronco a 5000lb tow bar will work, drilled 2 holes in the bumper, and used and existing hole,

can see mounts in picture,
here is the one i used
http://www.vtowing.com/Towbars.aspx

towed my bronco about 60 miles to bring it home with it, and would fell comfortable driving it across country with it

·
TTB for short
2,189 Posts
Make sure you call in a flatbed.
Please don't do that. Your towing contractor should know his capabilities and what truck can do what. He'll probably send a flatbed anyways because of how far the drive is, but if his flatbeds are tied up you could end up waiting until one of them is freed up when he has a perfectly good wheel lift truck ready to go.

On second though, it is AAA. Might be better off with a flatbed, that way if the driver is a dumb ass its less likely he will tear something up.

As a general rule, its better to tell the towing company what you have then let them decide what equipment to send. I know when someone starts off telling me "You're gonna need a..." I immediately tack on a 10 dollar **** you fee, because 9 times out of 10 they are dead wrong about what kind of equipment they need.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
I had AAA tow a 24 foot uhaul once when it got stuck in a gravel (Read that as mud) driveway. The sent two trucks before they got it out cost me nothing extra

·
TTB for short
2,189 Posts
That was stupid on their part. AAA won't cover that, which means they did it and got paid the same as a regular winchout. 2 trucks for $35 or whatever bullshit AAA pays now days.

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
AAA is one of the best yearly memberships i have. I've used 3 tows this year on the bronco. Make sure you call in a flatbed. I think the member ship is around $160 a year. Sign up and call in a tow.
160 bucks? I just paid my membership(AAA Plus) and it was less than 100.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the suggestions, just talked with a buddy tonight who has a f350 and a flatbed...

Going to get her next weekend!! Cant wait to get this baby home.

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions, just talked with a buddy tonight who has a f350 and a flatbed...

Going to get her next weekend!! Cant wait to get this baby home.

Right On...Glad you got it figured out!
What kinda shape is it in and what are your plans for it?
Everything you will need to know is on this forum. The people on here are a wealth of knowledge.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sounds as though you have a solution BUT a tow bar will work just fine. I have used a tow bar for several different "tows" I have towed 2 68-72 half ton 4x4s 45 miles each a 81 bronco 35 miles and a s10. My dad towed his 84 Bronco from Kenai Alaska to Quinault Washington, 2800 miles with the same tow bar. I was 13-14 seemed to tow fine.

It would tow fine, slow down and make sure that the tow rig is heavier than the bronco.

·
AKA: Butthead
2,857 Posts
I re-did my Dent Side tow bar to fit the '91 Bronco and towed it home. :)

The next day took these pictures...

...those are snow chain tensioners I just happened to have with me.

If you have to remove the front bumper, do yourself a big-favor and heat
the bolts up to smokin' hot before messing with 'em, that glue Ford used
on those bolts can strip the head-holder-out and then you are left with a
15mm bolt head that's a really sorry piece of shit to try to hold onto.

BTDT both ways, heat is so easy it ain't funny. :)

Everybody sez a manual don't have to have the drive shaft removed like
an automatic transmission does but oops... Ford sez otherwise!

No kidding on any of that.

Alvin in AZ

1 - 20 of 24 Posts