Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all:

Stock replacement distributor or performance upgrade??? WHY?

I actually need to replace the PIP sensor... or so that's what my troubleshooting has told me. But I figured since I don't have the proper tools for removing the PIP from the distributor, I might as well replace the whole thing.

Then it occurred to me... well, if I'm going to replace the Distributor, do I replace it with a stock rebuild, stock new, or performance such as MSD?

Most importantly, why???

Thanks in advance for your input!

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
stock = reliability

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:stupid
But if you have the money to buy a new distributor, buy a Motorcraft PIP sensor and have a machine shop install it.
That's where I'm a little confused. Browsing the forum I've heard horror stories about the Cordon distributors... which are very inexpensive. By the time you have a machine shop install a PIP to the old distributor I'm paying as much as a new distributor anyway.

So I searched for Motorcraft replacements... they cost more than a performance MSD (which I haven't read horror stories about). I looked at the 8451. Then, I don't know the facts... do you really get better performance from a 'performance' distributor when everything is stock anyway? Is stock really more reliable? Anyone here go with a performance replacement and regret doing so?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
I replaced my 20 year old original OEM Motorcraft Distributor with a MSD 8453 to find great improvement. I now run a MSD 8451, post remote mount CCD TFI ICM upgrade, with no complaints what-so-ever. I like the billet shaft as well as the cap & rotor.

The MSD is about $270. How much for the Motorcraft?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had to replace my dist twice, once in each different engine I've had (5.0 and 5.8), but I've had my truck since new in '86 and am rolling up on 300k.
The last time I bought one maybe 4 years ago I got it at AutoZone for around 80 buks. I suppose the aftermarket unit would be nice but if it's 300 buks I'll make due with a rebuilt stocker. There's no way to know if the aftermarket TFI components will last any better than the stockers but the remote module location might be nice. I've not had any problems with the stock location though even here in Phoenix. The loss of PIP signal has haunted me ever since I bought my 1st code reader. But, in '86, there was no emissions light so there was no annoying light on all the time. The only reason I replaced the dist in the new engine was because, as it got hot, it would act like it was running out of gas to the point of quitting. If I let it cool for 10 minutes I could drive for another 10 minutes but that got old. Many nice people helped this old guy push his truck out of an intersection cause it died 1/2 way through.

Nothing I've done ever fixed the PIP signal problem but I haven't checked the codes since I installed a newer ECU a couple years ago.

JohnF

'86 F150 Super
4" lift
33 AT's
9" w 4:30's
5.8 conversion

·
Low Buck Bum
3,543 Posts
Motorcraft DU50 = $60 (shop around)
Harbor Freight 6 Ton Shop Press = $65

Cheaper than MSD and you'll have a cool new tool :thumbup
If I would have had more time I would have gone this direction, unfortunately I had to use a machine shop. If they charge you more than an hours labor they're padding their time IMO...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Motorcraft DU50 = $60 (shop around)
Harbor Freight 6 Ton Shop Press = $65

Cheaper than MSD and you'll have a cool new tool :thumbup
Of course... That's more than twice as much as a stock Cardon replacement. With a complete new distributor aren't I just increasing spark and therefore gas mileage? Perhaps it's also time to do the sixlitre tune up while I'm at it.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With a complete new distributor aren't I just increasing spark and therefore gas mileage? - Seth Gatewood

:histerica the PIP sensor has nothing to do with performance or milage. It either works or it doesn't. - Fireguy50
Well, I know that. :whiteflag That's why I was asking if a NEW DISTRIBUTOR will possibly improve gas and / or performance? ...considering it will cost the same for the distributor as it will a PIP and press to remove the old PIP.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Of course... That's more than twice as much as a stock Cardon replacement. With a complete new distributor aren't I just increasing spark and therefore gas mileage? Perhaps it's also time to do the sixlitre tune up while I'm at it.
Do what Fireguy is saying, replace your bad pip with a motorcraft PIP.

Your dizzy is expensive from ford because your 351 is likely an OEM roller cam. This requires a special steel gear to be compatible with your cam.

The A1 cardone rebuild is likely not for a roller cam....The MSD probably is not either.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do what Fireguy is saying, replace your bad pip with a motorcraft PIP.
The motorcraft PIP is more than the cardon distributor.

Your dizzy is expensive from ford because your 351 is likely an OEM roller cam. This requires a special steel gear to be compatible with your cam.

The A1 cardone rebuild is likely not for a roller cam....The MSD probably is not either.
Actually, the Motorcraft distributor is $400 from Ford or from a parts store such as Napa closer to $300. The Cardon ($50), A1 Cardon ($80), the motorcraft ,and the MSD 8451 ($269) are all the steal gear for remote TFI, designed for the stock hydraulic roller cam that's in my truck.

It's these factors that had me questioning what is best. After thinking about it I decided to go with the cheaper Cardon with an MSD cap and rotor, new plugs, and 8.5mm wires to do the SixLitre Tune up while I'm at it (paid out about $160 total). My hopes are that I do increase fuel mileage via the tune up while having to spend money anyway. By utilizing the Cardon I get a lifetime warranty on the distributor, do the tune up and still pay less than the motorcraft or MSD distributor.

Already got the parts... so time will tell if it was the right choice! I appreciate all the feedback everyone has shared... I'll update the results when I get to it tomorrow afternoon or Tuesday.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The motorcraft PIP is more than the cardon distributor.

Actually, the Motorcraft distributor is $400 from Ford or from a parts store such as Napa closer to $300. The Cardon ($50), A1 Cardon ($80), the motorcraft ,and the MSD 8451 ($269) are all the steal gear for remote TFI, designed for the stock hydraulic roller cam that's in my truck.

It's these factors that had me questioning what is best. After thinking about it I decided to go with the cheaper Cardon with an MSD cap and rotor, new plugs, and 8.5mm wires to do the SixLitre Tune up while I'm at it (paid out about $160 total). My hopes are that I do increase fuel mileage via the tune up while having to spend money anyway. By utilizing the Cardon I get a lifetime warranty on the distributor, do the tune up and still pay less than the motorcraft or MSD distributor.

Already got the parts... so time will tell if it was the right choice! I appreciate all the feedback everyone has shared... I'll update the results when I get to it tomorrow afternoon or Tuesday.
Good luck, you should be Ok so long as the metallurgy matches on the dizzy gear.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts