Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If its not one thing its another it seems. Tuning on carb and i go for a test rip and park it to change some stuff around.... Dripping from driver side, rad is buggered and has a slow drip.

The current rad is about seems to be the one that is 1 1/4 thick in the core, standard 351w w/ AC http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Radiator-302351M351W-8-Cylinder/productinfo/30612/

I no longer have AC, and my truck runs at a fine temp but I do notice while idling in the bush it gets warm sometimes.

Should I go with the above Rad as it current ly matches what I have or should I grab the Heavy duty cooling one? Its a 3 core and is 2" thick in the core.... Will this run me too cool
http://shop.broncograveyard.com/Radiator-302351M351W-8-Cylinder/productinfo/30614/

This sucks haha, they aint cheap

·
Registered
446 Posts
Given your location and that you don't have ac anymore, I would say a standard rad would be fine.

That being said, it would certainly give you more "headroom" in terms of cooling capability with the hd rad.

As long as you have a tstat of the correct temperature it will run at that temp, regardless of rad size.

Personally, I would spend the extra bucks and get the hd one, but I live in Florida, and I have ac.

·
Registered
9,829 Posts
Given your location and that you don't have ac anymore, I would say a standard rad would be fine.

That being said, it would certainly give you more "headroom" in terms of cooling capability with the hd rad.

As long as you have a tstat of the correct temperature it will run at that temp, regardless of rad size.

Personally, I would spend the extra bucks and get the hd one, but I live in Florida, and I have ac.
IIRC I have the factory style heavy duty 2 core radiator.I think that's the heavy duty one anyway. Even in Florida with everything working properly Ive never seen the engine get hot even in the middle of summer towing in stop and go traffic. I even drove it for a while without a radiator fan and as long as you were going 10mph it stayed cool. Last trail ride I got into some bad sugar sand with my aired up tires, even staying on the gas in 4wd going 5 mph the engine never flinched. The trans heated up pretty good but the engine was staying cool. IIRC it was only $130 or so for a new one from Rockauto. Well worth it to me. Of course with cooling your fan/fan clutch makes a difference, I have the heavy duty versions of those too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts