Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, here is my delemma.

Guy in alabama has a 351w that sapposably has 60k miles on it, that came out of a grand marque or crown vic..

Heres my question, he says it runs and with no smoke. I have no real way to verifiy this and was thinkin about just taking a gamble if I can get the price right, and then go through the bottom end and do all gaskets, seals and whatnot assuming the cylinders appear unharmed. So lets go by block/head/rotating assembily value. Whats it worth?

(Honest opinions here please)
Jeff

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have a 351W (1990) that I know needs a rebuild for $150. Unless I can hear, see and watch it run in person, I ALWAYS assume it is a core.

If a guy claims to have rebuild it 10k ago, unless I see docs w/ mileage I assume it is a core.

Never had a problem buying engines this way.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Buyer beware.. franklin hit it right on the head. if you make sure its solid then assume your getting a core. My opinion would be get it rebuild it and then install it, but then you have to look at the cost of getting it to you. your in TN and its in AL is it worth it?

·
Yeeeeehaw Y'all!
2,038 Posts
Franklin said:
If a guy claims to have rebuild it 10k ago, unless I see docs w/ mileage I assume it is a core.
:stupid Yep... unless the guy is able to show you the recipts and willing to give you a limited warranty in writing, I'd also only consider it as good as a junk yard engine if you can't hear it run.

·
FJ80 Expedition Rig
1,461 Posts
I'm going to have to go with Ironclad and Franklin, if you can't hear and see it run, you have to assume its a core to protect yourself from being swindled.

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
See and hear it run if it cant be started look for the cleanest meaning well maintained smashed rolled etc car or truck at the junk yard or privet seller do a wet and dry compression test if you cant do a compression test check spark plugs if its smashed it was most likely running at the time it was smashed and check odometer if you can if you cant do these things plan on rebuilding the whole motor or you might be in for some major graef 100 is all i pay for a core motor like the one you mentioned :thumbup​

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All Im willing to pay is core value, I just wanted to know what ya'll would give for a core. Thanks!

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
How many gallons away from you is this guy BigBroncoXLT ?

That would influence my decision to go and get it for a yet agreed upon price.

Sixlitre

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
see thats what i went through as well. I need a new engine but do i go used or rebuilt. i can get a used one for 500 bucks from a salvage yard and they said they ran the VIN and the mileage is 67000 miles. Then i got to thinking, what if i am in the same boat with that one that i am in with the one i got, then im 500 in the hole, and need to get another engine. So i am just going with a rebuilt long block for 1200

·
Registered
223 Posts
What should you do? Well, you just need to ask yourself one question: Do you feel lucky, punk?

I LUCKED out when I got my motor. I paid $250 for a 302, all accessories, wiring harness, and computer, and a BW 1356. Then I turned around and sold my bad 302 for $400. Turned out my "new" motor worked fine, and the guy was truthful.

But on the other hand... when I bought my Bronco, I was told it just needed a tuneup and some seals replaced. Ended up needing a new motor.

It's all a gamble.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts