Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.8
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I came across this 1984 Bronco that the owner says has no title, no engine, basically he said It's shell, frame, and interior. He has it for $500. I'm not quite sure how difficult or expensive it will be building this entire Bronco. Keeping in mind my dad's uncle is my mechanic and I get pretty good pricing on labor. If I get it at $300 is it worth it? Can I get it running and drivable with 2-3k before I start adding all the cosmetics.

Link: Check out this 1984 ford bronco for $500 on OfferUp 1984 ford bronco for Sale in Coolidge, AZ - OfferUp

There is also another one that seems to be more complete 1988 5.8 for $2k says it just need a fuel pump. There is no way of knowing until a new fuel pump is installed right? I'm assuming $1,400 since there is risk.

Link:Check out this Ford bronco 1988 for $2000 on OfferUp Ford bronco 1988 for Sale in Phoenix, AZ - OfferUp

I've usually purchased Bronco's that are running and in pretty good condition. What are your thoughts on these?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
well if you cant get a title you cant drive it. if its been junked or want to abandoned property type deal thats pretty easy. if it get contested though you are screwed. engines and trans be pretty cheap to find however. enough trucks vans suvs that had what you need. so if i could title it that 84 being that clean of body would be good one.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
the 88 also looks to be very clean but not running i wouldnt pay that much. i hit them at 1200 bucks maybe go 1500 tops.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the insight. I'll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I would stay away from a vehicle like this unless you're highly accomplished as a DIY'er (or are a well-rounded tech).
Far too many things to worry about and costs will explode quickly on you as you dive into it.

Better save up and buy something in decent running condition that maybe just doesn't look so good.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
833 Posts
In my opinion, unless you already have parts, or you plan to spend big money doing everything custom, hot rod engine, etc...., it’s better to buy something complete.
I dunno about Arizona, but here in Nevada the only way to get a title for something is to have a tow yard or wrecking yard clear it and get a salvage title. My local tow yard does that for about $300 and it takes a couple months as long as there are no issues. From there you still need it inspected by a certified shop and then the dmv to be registered since it is considered salvaged.
So I think if you are building a crawler, yeah maybe. If you want a nice bronco to drive on the street, I would start with one that has paperwork and is complete

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, so looks like the 84 is out. The 1990 is still an option but I'll have to see the condition of it and see how much I want to risk that it is the fuel pump. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,395 Posts
Take your dads uncle that is your mechanic with you.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
In my opinion, unless you already have parts, or you plan to spend big money doing everything custom, hot rod engine, etc...., it’s better to buy something complete.
I dunno about Arizona, but here in Nevada the only way to get a title for something is to have a tow yard or wrecking yard clear it and get a salvage title. My local tow yard does that for about $300 and it takes a couple months as long as there are no issues. From there you still need it inspected by a certified shop and then the dmv to be registered since it is considered salvaged.
So I think if you are building a crawler, yeah maybe. If you want a nice bronco to drive on the street, I would start with one that has paperwork and is complete

idk about az. ky is simple if its junked by the original owner you can get a new salvage title. if not you can transfer via bill of sell. its not very complicated. if you cant get that from the title owner you can send a certified letter as its abandoned property but that would be a last resort. i wouldnt be scared of anything but not getting the title on it. a good 302 and aod wouldnt cost more than 800 bucks around here.

·
Registered
330 Posts
1) title is certainly an issue
2) Why did the motor get pulled? Did the tranny go and the PO used the engine in another vehicle?

If the sheetmetal is REALLY good, maybe offer him $100 over what a junkyard is paying

·
Super Moderator
24,672 Posts
Yo Abraham,
84 is a no-no.
88 depends on last time it was inspected and if it passed or failed. Does AZ have an on-line report for inspection findings?
Here's an older report for our 96

They even provide applicable technical service bulletins!
¤¤¤
When Richard Rawling, star of TV show Fast N' Loud was growing up in Fort Worth, Texas, his dad, Raymond Rawlings always had a car or a motorcycle lying around. “It wasn’t the nicest or the best, but it was his,” the younger Rawlings says. Ray wasn’t much of a mechanic, more of a detailer and a tinkerer. On weekends, the guys in the neighborhood would come over, mess around with whatever car Ray had at the time and drink beer in the garage.

One of those guys who came around also taught Rawlings a lesson about negotiating that he still carries with him: “I was around 13. He said, ‘Son, you could buy a $10,000 car all day long for five grand if you have it in your pocket. Always carry cash.’ ”

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
1) title is certainly an issue
2) Why did the motor get pulled? Did the tranny go and the PO used the engine in another vehicle?

If the sheetmetal is REALLY good, maybe offer him $100 over what a junkyard is paying
metal looks pretty good and jy prob be close to 400 so its on par

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I decided to not go with either because of the unknowns. I'm just going to wait for something better to come along. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
2k should buy a runner at least id think. offer up isnt the best idea. fb or craigslist it much better to find cars on at least from what ive found.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I made an offer on a 95 Eddie Bauer. He excepted so I should be picking it up tomorrow or Monday. I actually saw this Bronco about 6 months ago, when he had it listed for 6500. He wouldn't go lower than 6k. This time he has it at 5500 and I offered 4500 and he excepted. I'm going to check it out to make sure nothing has changed in the past 6 months but it was in great shape back then.

I usually like original but the rims he has aren't bad. The grill I might take it off and leave the original. The front seats need new leather but doors, dash, carpet and exterior paint is all in good shape. Hopefully it all works out.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The damn guy sold it even after agreeing. I saw a 90 Eddie Bauer yesterday which was decent. I think I can get it for $2,600. There is a 96 5.8 Eddie Bauer I'm going to see today. He dropped the price from 10k to 7800. The truck looks pretty good but he has a 6 inch lift and huge rims/thin tires. Only 160k miles. I'm a huge fan of the year and trim so I might go for it. If so, I'll post pictures.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Since the Broncos you've been looking at are priced all over the place, I'm assuming you have a decent budget.

The general rule for buying older vehicles is to buy the nicest one you can afford. Minor mechanical stuff is usually inexpensive to fix yourself, and not too difficult, but if you have to do bodywork/paint, or interior stuff that will get expensive quickly, and suddenly that $3k Bronco is not as good a deal as the $7k Bronco with perfect paint and interior.

This is especially true if you are not a DIYer... if you have to pay labor for work, it will add up very quickly.

AZ is especially hard on the interior plastics on these trucks, and replacements are very expensive, when they're even available, so buy the nicest one you can find and take care of it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts