Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all....new member here. I have been searching the forums and have not been able to find a write up on how to adjust the neutral safety switch...I have been having problems with having to hold my shifter wayyy up into park to get the switch to see that it's in park. I figure it's just an adjustment issue...I don't think that I have back up lights either which I also gather is a symptom of the same problem. I have read on how to bypass the switch completely, but I'd rather try adjusting it first.

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,873 Posts
straight from all data...should be the same for the 78

Place transmission manual lever in neutral position, then insert a .091 inch gauge pin through gauge pin holes, Fig. 8.
Tighten switch attaching bolts, then remove gauge pin.
Install outer downshift lever and retaining nut.
Install downshift linkage rod return spring between lever and retaining clip on low-reverse servo cover.
Reconnect electrical connectors, then check operation of switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is exactly what I was looking for...is it necessary to unhook the transmission downshift rod and remove the downshift lever? Only reason I am asking is that it looks like the lever is still there in the picture.

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,873 Posts
That is exactly what I was looking for...is it necessary to unhook the transmission downshift rod and remove the downshift lever? Only reason I am asking is that it looks like the lever is still there in the picture.
no you shouldnt...that pic is actually from the page to R&R the switch...with also directions on adjusting.

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
I loosen the shift linkage nuts before adjusting the NSS. Get the NSS adjusted correctly then move onto the shifter and get that adjusted correctly and you should be good.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
The two bolts that hold the NSS to the side of the transmsiion case loosen them.

Verify the transmission is in neutral postion, do not go by the shift indicator on the column as the linkage to it may need to be adjusted best to loosen the nut on the crossbar to column bar and let it slide.

Block the wheels on the truck and manually put it in neutral by counting the detents adjust the NSS to it.

If you still can't figure it out put it back together and take it to a mechanic

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.