Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1978 460 c6
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Me too. Freshly vandalized 79. It will need everything cosmetic but 460 drums great. Good luck View attachment 171734
That's rough. I don't see any glass in the Pic. Looks like a crazy x did it. Somebody had to be really mad to do all that.

Well let's start with the goal. I'm going to drive this thing daily and play off road. Thinking 35's and enough fender room to hit hard bumps off road. I used to stuff the biggest tires I could but you don't find the rock ditch in hood high grass till your tire is in it.

Now the problems. It has a rear main oil leak so bad it looks like a quart of oil is being poured out every 20 ft. Thats what happens to rear main oil leaks if ya park it which is what happened to this truck. The wiring is horrible it has a slow battery drain and the headlight wiring needs redone completely. The body is rusted bad but ill have a shop fix that. Not part of my skill set.

Solutions. I have a 1991 rv in the driveway that has 70k on the engine im going to drop in. Picked up some engine mounts from jeffs bronco graveyard and planning to use the c6 until I make the e4od 4wd. The only part I'm unsure of is the flexplate. I'm hoping the c6 torque converter will bolt up to the 460 flexplate. If not ill be tearing the e4od apart sooner than later. The headlight wiring im stripping from the rv as well. I found some highboy side view mirrors on Facebook marketplace but the guy wants to sell the whole rv for 5k after a tree fell on it not part it out. He said he has a lot into the engine but for that price I could buy a junkyard engine and build it to what he has. I'll work on that more.

I would like to hit some trails in a few months and have a blast. There's a place up in Arkansas that i would like to check out with the wife and kids maybe a weekend trip and camping.

Bud

·
Registered
5 Posts
clearcoat that paint man!
My daughter said the same thing but I'm going to paint it in pieces due to garage space. Since all the glass broken i figured it made the most sense to have the windshield area ready so I painted the cowl, roof, and quarters. I used raptor liner on the top. I wasn't able to find sliders for the top so I ordered all new glass and will convert to solid rear side windows. Hopefully I can get the paint finished and water tight over the holiday break

·
Registered
5 Posts
There a local junk yard that has a rough 78 bronco and a few trucks. Someone beat me to it and grabbed the passenger seat tracks but rounded off the bolts on the drivers seat. Is it worth picking up the buckets without a passenger seat track. What about rear slider frames (broken glass)? Any other hard to find parts i should look for?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
My daughter said the same thing but I'm going to paint it in pieces due to garage space. Since all the glass broken i figured it made the most sense to have the windshield area ready so I painted the cowl, roof, and quarters. I used raptor liner on the top. I wasn't able to find sliders for the top so I ordered all new glass and will convert to solid rear side windows. Hopefully I can get the paint finished and water tight over the holiday break
that is a beautiful color. but I am partial to bright reds.

Reactions: Bud bronc

·
Registered
1978 460 c6
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There a local junk yard that has a rough 78 bronco and a few trucks. Someone beat me to it and grabbed the passenger seat tracks but rounded off the bolts on the drivers seat. Is it worth picking up the buckets without a passenger seat track. What about rear slider frames (broken glass)? Any other hard to find parts i should look for?
I don't know a lot about 78 broncos yet but im working on it. Just look to see if its reproduced. If it's not reproduced its pure gold. Where do you live hiding the good bronco parts? I'm looking for towing mirrors like the old highboys what do yall think about the new reproduced towing mirrors like the ones on summit? They are only 30 dollars. Anyway good luck with your picking.

Progress you ask? I hacked out the headlight wiring from the rv today it was a pain in my a$$ and half way through i just started dikeing everything I didn't need. I didn't get a Pic but it's a headlight wiring harness. Wires and a few plugs. Tomorrow I might rip out the 351m and paint the engine mounts I got from jeffs bronco graveyard. Anybody need a 351m in Northern Louisiana? It runs good but it has a bad rear main oil leak. That and it's not a 460.

Bud

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm i Washington. They dont salt the roads so there are still lots of farm trucks to pick.

I'm hoping to make good progress this weekend if my glass shows up

·
Registered
1978 460 c6
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found some cool stuff on my bronco today getting the engine ready to pull. Going to talk somebody into helping me remove the hood then swap engines out.

My alternator bracket has a lifetime warranty through sears or well lowes now. Thats neat info.

No wires were hooked to anything accept for the coil and alternator. So many stripped wires dangling hitting stuff and half of the wires are stripped here and there hitting the frame and engine. No wonder it has an electrical drain on the battery. The terminal on the alternator was hitting the engine. I dont know how this truck didn't catch fire.

What is that? It has a hose coming off of it that goes about 2 ft down the frame then dead ends and 2 wires coming out of the bottom that go to a relay on the radiator core support. Dont think they had charcoal canisters in 78 did they? No emissions that I know of. Old charcoal canisters were pretty big to. This thing is rather small. Ac related? The compressor is on the other side and its ripped out and hoses are cut. What yall think?

Well that's it for today one engine disconnected ready to be pulled and the other engine and trans are about ready to be pulled. Just need to take out the trans crossmember and it will slide out

Bud

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,571 Posts
I'm looking for towing mirrors like the old highboys what do yall think about the new reproduced towing mirrors like the ones on summit? They are only 30 dollars. Anyway good luck with your picking.

Like these? I believe these are the "West Coast Jr." mirrors. The regular West Coast mirrors have a larger mirror head and a third mounting point by the front of the door, so they're not easily foldable like these should be. At least they're on an actual High Boy.

·
Registered
1978 460 c6
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like these? I believe these are the "West Coast Jr." mirrors. The regular West Coast mirrors have a larger mirror head and a third mounting point by the front of the door, so they're not easily foldable like these should be. At least they're on an actual High Boy.

Those look nice but I'm looking at these

I like the bottom convex mirror I use them the most in my excursion

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,331 Posts
View attachment 171831

What is that? It has a hose coming off of it that goes about 2 ft down the frame then dead ends and 2 wires coming out of the bottom that go to a relay on the radiator core support. Dont think they had charcoal canisters in 78 did they? No emissions that I know of. Old charcoal canisters were pretty big to. This thing is rather small. Ac related? The compressor is on the other side and its ripped out and hoses are cut. What yall think?
Is that a compressor for inexpensive air horns? Kinda looks like one of those. Especially with that vinyl hose coming off of it.

·
Registered
1978 460 c6
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you fellas after I get it running I'll try to see if it pumps air. How much volume do they put out?

·
Registered
1978 460 c6
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Some firefighters helped me pull my hood my go to buddy is down with covid testing. Why were they at the house you ask? So apparently I live in city limits and I can't burn leaves without a cover or any fire for that matter. Well anyway it's out.

Sweet set of long tube headers for a 400 351m. Ready for new engine once the headers are cut out.

Speaking of headers what ones will fit an efi 460 in a 78 bronco? I might call l&l. I know the efi and carb heads are at different angles on the exhaust side. All of the headers i have looked at don't specify efi or carb. I'm thinking outside frame rail. I'll give them a call next week after its together. Going to be a little loud with just the stock manifolds lol. Just going to run it long enough to tune the carb

·
Registered
1978 460 c6
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been super busy with the Christmas but things have been good. Made some progress on the build.

I had no idea how hard it would be to pull an engine from an rv. It would have been easier if my carburetor adapter would have bolted up to the intake like the 351m that came out of the bronco. Never planning to do this again. If the carburetor adapter would have worked this would have been so much easier but once I started cutting the frame I was committed. I would like to thank the people in the other thread for ideas I think this worked out the best.

Going to try to get the 4r100 off and see if the 460 flex plate will bolt up to the c6. I have a carb adapter from price motorsports and a holley in the mail. I want to use the 4r100 eventually but to get it running for cheap and faster now I'm using the c6. I have a spare 4r100 off of a 5.4 super duty in the garage that's 4wd and I'm going to take the output shaft out and the 4wd housing to make the 460 4r100 4wd. I haven't ever taken a 4r100 apart and I don't want my bronco in pieces in the meantime. Also I will need a controller. Well that's it for now I'll try to get this done today but there's more family coming over soon hopefully with these engine mounts I can just bolt the engine in and not mess with the trans crossmember. We will see

Bud

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,571 Posts
Speaking of headers what ones will fit an efi 460 in a 78 bronco? I might call l&l. I know the efi and carb heads are at different angles on the exhaust side. All of the headers i have looked at don't specify efi or carb. I'm thinking outside frame rail. I'll give them a call next week after its together. Going to be a little loud with just the stock manifolds lol. Just going to run it long enough to tune the carb

I've run just manifolds before to move mine a short distance, so I know exactly how loud that'll be for you!

As far as headers go, I'm assuming anything made specifically for a 78/79 Bronco is going to be with Carb heads in mind. I've mentioned before in other threads that EFI headers are limited in selection and that's not that they aren't made, but that they are application specific. I don't think anyone makes EFI head headers for a 78/79. If you're up for fabrication, you could change the flanges from one with Carb ports to EFI ports.

Here's a picture I pulled from google to give you, or anyone else that peeks in on this thread, an idea of the difference in their shape. Maybe you could just stick a Carb gasket on the EFI heads and put on Carb headers, not sure how that would hold up.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts