Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Figured I would introduce myself because I'm going to be on here quite a bit through the summer Troubleshooting and restoring the 79 Bronco that I just bought. I'm a collector that has a wide array of cars. But this is pretty much my first 4-wheel drive to restore. I had a 78 Bronco of my fathers that I drove in high school During the winters up in Pennsylvania. My 68 Charger was my summer ride. Anyhow, all of my kids are motorhead's and my 17 year old daughter had a brainiac idea to buy a Bronco that is 3/4 done and paint it and give it a cosmetic restoration to drive for the summer. Of course she wanted a manual transmission. So we found one out of Texas and it arrived a week ago. It is heading off to my friend's body shop down the road this weekend to get torn apart and start the process. Here are a couple of teaser pics. The Paint scheme is being devised today. Not sure if we are sticking with the original or going with a freewheelin look. I did run a Marti report on this vehicle. And of course it comes out then they only made four of them total in this combo
Eric

·
Super Moderator
24,710 Posts
Yo Eric,
Welcome to our Big Bronco group!
The 79 looks pretty good.

To assist you, here is:
Ford 1979 Bronco/F Series Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual via Ziggy⚠⚠⚠ @
1979 Ford Bronco Wiring Manual pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
It shows Electrical component location, operation, troubleshooting, with wiring and vacuum diagrams.

1979 Ford Bronco Wiring Schematics, Connector Pin-outs, etc by Ranger429 @ 79 wiring schematics

1979 Bronco Brochure @ http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/Ford/Bronco/Ford_US Bronco_1979.pdf

1979 Ford Bronco vs. Blazer Article by Ford via Indybronco @ 1978 Ford Bronco Bronco vs. Blazer (79) pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Ford Shop Manual Diagrams: 1978-1979 Full Size Shop Manuals, partial @ Technical Diagrams Archives
My Tablet takes hours to download, so try the first in this list as long as you have Adobe Acrobat 9 or later installed.
Includes:
Wiring Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Rear Lights Diagram
Motor Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Air Cleaner Diagram
Chassis Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes '78 Brakes Diagram, Gas Tank Setup Diagram
Body Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes; Upper Body Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, heater Ducts Diagram, Tailgate Diagram, Console Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, Grill Setup Diagram, Heater Controls Diagram, Interior Trip Diagram, Rear Sheetmetal Diagram, Tiltwheel Diagram, Tire Rack
Let me know if the downloads are worth the effort.

See Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop by Dave Resch

Partial Chilton Manual for 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 Bronco. Scanned by broncocity.com @ Bronco City

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as 1978-'79 Bronco Tech that requires 30 posts to view or post) or 1978-'79 Bronco Tech, Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view), etc.

To save you time and for better responses, please fill out your Signature with location, year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. .
Bronco info is now able to be put under your user name.

Click your profile button in the top right and go to account settings.

View attachment 154202

On that first page, named Account Details, scroll down to "Vehicle Info" and type in up to 100 characters.

View attachment 154203

View attachment 154204

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How to Use Search and more tips!

See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

➡ Try to find time to participate in and Vote in our Full-Size of the Quarter & Full-Size of the Year Contests @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Also see the prizes! They are awesome as compared to other sites' "contests"!

Al

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello all, Figured I would introduce myself because I'm going to be on here quite a bit through the summer Troubleshooting and restoring the 79 Bronco that I just bought. I'm a collector that has a wide array of cars. But this is pretty much my first 4-wheel drive to restore. I had a 78 Bronco of my fathers that I drove in high school During the winters up in Pennsylvania. My 68 Charger was my summer ride. Anyhow, all of my kids are motorhead's and my 17 year old daughter had a brainiac idea to buy a Bronco that is 3/4 done and paint it and give it a cosmetic restoration to drive for the summer. Of course she wanted a manual transmission. So we found one out of Texas and it arrived a week ago. It is heading off to my friend's body shop down the road this weekend to get torn apart and start the process. Here are a couple of teaser pics. The Paint scheme is being devised today. Not sure if we are sticking with the original or going with a freewheelin look. I did run a Marti report on this vehicle. And of course it comes out then they only made four of them total in this combo View attachment 153991 . View attachment 153990 Eric
what a beauty, what exactly needs to be done? Looks mint to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

More or less it needs some cosmetic love. Putting a new set of General X3 Grabbers on it with the red lettering. It is getting paint. And probably a freewheeling decal. Thinking about going pearl white with the full body reflective decal all the way around. She likes that Look. That will eliminate the race track along the bottom. . But of course, I'm keeping the body side molding. With the black. Needs Two new chrome bumpers. And the wheels that I am going with are early 80s wagon wheels that are going to be powder coated in light Argent silver with a double stripe red trim ring and original center caps..

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,708 Posts

There's quite a few people who start out with rigs way nicer than ours, aren't there? lol I'd be happy if mine finished out looking like his is right now.

Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's quite a few people who start out with rigs way nicer than ours, aren't there? lol I'd be happy if mine finished out looking like his is right now.

Welcome to the board!
Something to be said for those west coast bodies.. Us Pennsylvania people dont mind spending some cash to have a good one shipped up here to the rust belt. This thing is so clean underneath that its scary.

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,200 Posts
Hey... Another Pennsylvanian in the group ? where about are u? I'm just west of Erie... I also bought my rig in Texas and had it shipped up. It spent most of it's life in Arkansas, then back to Texas where I found it. The underside is immaculate. About the only part they put any effort into restoring. I did a lot of the interior resto last summer painting panels and doing a bed liner and carpet... U can see my progress in my build thread (Broncmoms 82 resto). This summer we do the front half ?
I think yours looks really great... Idk where there's room for much improvement on that rig.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco XLT 351W with C6, manual locking hubs. 6” suspension lift with 35” Cooper tires
322 Posts
Good looking ride man! I hope my daughter wants one some day! And a manual to boot!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey... Another Pennsylvanian in the group ? where about are u? I'm just west of Erie... I also bought my rig in Texas and had it shipped up. It spent most of it's life in Arkansas, then back to Texas where I found it. The underside is immaculate. About the only part they put any effort into restoring. I did a lot of the interior resto last summer painting panels and doing a bed liner and carpet... U can see my progress in my build thread (Broncmoms 82 resto). This summer we do the front half ?
I think yours looks really great... Idk where there's room for much improvement on that rig.
Thank you. I actually live near Seneca high School, but my practice is on keystone dr near Delta Sonic on Peach St. I dont really have much to do on it but my painter is going to get rid of the Texas sun fade . Interior is perfect and needs very little.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. I actually live near Seneca high School, but my practice is on keystone dr near Delta Sonic on Peach St. I dont really have much to do on it but my painter is going to get rid of the Texas sun fade . Interior is perfect and needs very little.
This is the paint scheme that she picked out. White pearl metallic with the freewheeling decals.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I love the sun n fun packages but u said this was one of 4 with this color combo... Imo it would almost be sacrilege to change it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I love the sun n fun packages but u said this was one of 4 with this color combo... Imo it would almost be sacrilege to change it.
I thought about that, I truly am a purist. Do you want to tell her that we are keeping it maroon??? I dont. White with freewheelin it is.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Well... I'd be happy to cause I'm a firm believer in telling kids no... They need to learn they can't always have their way...Especially if it's going to result in the elimination of a 1 of 4 classic Bronco... But... Each to their own i guess... I hope she enjoys it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
how about getting it vinyl wrapped instead of painted? Protects original paint under it and the possibilities are endless...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The truck does not have original paint on it. It is the original color combination. It looks like someone painted it in a sand and gravel pit outside on a Friday night in the dark. It's terrible looking. It does not fit in with my car collection whatsoever. So it is definitely getting painted. It can always be changed back. The important thing is all of the panels are beautiful , thank god

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Engine refresh is complete. Putting in the new gas tank and it heads off to the body shop.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Everything. Someone painted the motor orange at one point in its life. The valve covers were leaking. All of the vacuum lines were dry rotted and original.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
So they pulled the motor to refresh everything?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts