Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Older pushrod engines are far easier to make aftermarket heads for than modern DOHC or more complex production engines. They also benefit from it far greater. When is the last time a company has put out an affordable head for a Triton engine or a 5.7 Toyota V8?

I feel that modern manufacturing has made spending thousands of extra dollars on assembled heads unnecessary. Increased tolerances and engines designed from the get go with CAD and newer 3D modeling techniques. You just are not going to get the impressive gains with a head swap we get on our older engines with a newer engine optimized from the factory.

Thumbs up for either trying to market a lower cost option from a respected company or just trying to stay alive and push out more volume.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,209 Posts
that's great but it seems odd to add a new budget level head for an engine that hasn't been made in how many years?
Kaase came out with a new head for the BBF a year or two ago. I guess new stuff for old tech is the in thing these days.

·
Registered
95 5.8L XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Electric, Manual, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15's, 299K
697 Posts
It's not a "NEW HEAD" it is the same cast head as before with less Machining work done to it, so naturally it'll cost less. Expand the market, not a bad idea/way to scoop up more $$$

·
Eric
2,552 Posts
No chamber sizes? An "as-cast" AFR head would be kinda cool. Especially if they can get it into the sub-$1k "as-cast" price range. Probably not, but I wonder if they'll expand the line in a few years to include different runner/valve/chamber sizes. Be neat to see these heads in a power shootout against other manufacturers.

Just checked out AFR's website. They have the specs and pricing here: 185cc SBF Enforcer Cylinder Head

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,004 Posts
If they perform anywhere near the regular lineup, $349 ea bare & $539 ea assembled sounds like a very good price point. That puts them in line with the best of the budget alternatives, but hopefully without giving up that last "little" bit of performance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts