Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

Battery is 100%, but this week the truck would require a jump to get started. Fine once started. I suspected the alternator and/or starter relay so I replaced them both.

No, I didn't do the 3G swap. Just replaced it with an 80W. Next JY trip I'll look for a 3G. Truck will now start but then quickly dies. And when I do get it to run for a bit it's a low gurggle. When I step on the gas it dies. What could it be?

I feel confident that I wired everything up correctly, and reinstalled the serpentine belt right, but now I'm questioning myself. I did loosen the distributor bolt so I could turn it out of the way and get to the thermostat housing, but I turn it back when done. Did that screw up the timing and I need to reset?

While I was doing the alternator I decided to replace the thermostat. When I reinstalled the new gasket and housing there was a big leak. When I tried to torque it down tighter I cracked the housing. Now I've installed a new housing with a rubber O-ring around the bypass and main hoses. Still a small leak from the bottom of the housing. Any advice on fixing that too?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Gents,

Battery is 100%, but this week the truck would require a jump to get started. Fine once started. I suspected the alternator and/or starter relay so I replaced them both.

No, I didn't do the 3G swap. Just replaced it with an 80W. Next JY trip I'll look for a 3G. Truck will now start but then quickly dies. And when I do get it to run for a bit it's a low gurggle. When I step on the gas it dies. What could it be?

I feel confident that I wired everything up correctly, and reinstalled the serpentine belt right, but now I'm questioning myself. I did loosen the distributor bolt so I could turn it out of the way and get to the thermostat housing, but I turn it back when done. Did that screw up the timing and I need to reset?

While I was doing the alternator I decided to replace the thermostat. When I reinstalled the new gasket and housing there was a big leak. When I tried to torque it down tighter I cracked the housing. Now I've installed a new housing with a rubber O-ring around the bypass and main hoses. Still a small leak from the bottom of the housing. Any advice on fixing that too?
What year do you have? I can't picture having to move the distributor bolt so you can get to the thermostat housing and I think your stalling issues are caused by the timing been thrown off. There are many good write ups on this site on how to check the timing so I would start there.

As far as the small leak from the bottom of the housing, put an uniform bead of sealant and your issues will go away. I used the Permatex stuff below and it's been leak free for 3 years..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fixed it. Put some gasket sealer on the thermostat housing.

For the rough idle it was the distributor. I turned it back to the same spot got it started, then tweaked it slightly until the idle got back to normal. Belt was squeakythough so I replaced it for good measure since I have no idea how long it’s been on.

then while returning the belt tool to autozone the darn thing wouldn’t turn over for me to start up. Battery reads 100%. But my battery was a crappy value craft. 650 cold crank. Traded it for a duralast 750 cold crank and things started right up. Fingers crossed for no more starting issues. What battery do most guys run?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Battery Output depends on which battery you buy, the have premium, best , good lines... The general consensus is that Interstate is a premium brand at a decent price with a no nonsense warranty.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Once again I think I've fixed it. I bought new battery cables and re-did the alternator wiring so it is now above reproach. Then it started up nice. Then I took my dog to the lake and it wouldn't start. I could hear the starter whirring, but not making contact with the fly wheel. So it seems the real culprit may have been my POS starter all along. It was a reman one and was all autozone had when it died in the parking lot. So I removed the starter, returned it, and bought a brand new one for $30 bucks more. Started right up like a champ. Fingers crossed I finally have this electrical issue beat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts