Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1984 5.8L, 4spd auto, 9" rear end
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Blue 84 Pony with a new driver!

Hello! I decided (yes, the wife let me) to purchase a vehicle that I could drive around in (not really a DD but reliable), and also have something that I could have some fun with, take to the hunting lease, and have something to tinker with... So I went out about 20 miles north of Austin, Tx (near where I live) and bought me an American gem, a gently used (lie), super awesome (that's real) 1984 FSB! (and the crowd goes wild!)

Now that I have it in my possession and have had a chance to look it over, I have some questions because I am introducing myself to Broncos as I introduce myself to you. I have used the search function as much as I can to answer some of my questions (I know someone will tell me to search again based on all the forum posts I have read) but I wanted to post some before pics (I never get good before pics on projects!) as well as toss out a few questions I am pondering, hoping for some insight from the members!

The first Picture I will post is the one from the Craigslist ad that I first laid eyes on this prize!

The next one is my first fun project... 2nd key turn as the owner and after a short stint using a makeshift push-button starter to get me to my house, I got to do the the key actuator replacement!

So now that I am quite familiar with certain delicate parts it's time to get a run down on what I know and what you might think.

First is the fuel pump. The mechanical pump was replaced with an electric pump and a regulator (with return) but it is so loud! Are what I have on now considered cheap quality? After reading through many posts it sounds normal I guess, but do you think the benefit of the electric over mechanical balances this ? It's louder than my engine fans. (I have an electric add on on top of the mechanic fan)

Next is the suspension, I haven't seen enough stock Bronco's to know what the stock setup looks like, but mine doesn't seem very tall so I think it is stock... The reason why I bring it up is clearly the shocks and springs have been replaced (the rubber spacers are obviously newer than '84) but I don't know where to measure or who to measure against to find out if I have a lift. (Which I don't think I have) anyone have a good place to check something other than the total height?

Finally, is the Electrical. The PO obviously did some work to this thing that included some re-wiring, but it is just a fuse panel that is screwed down to the wheel shroud. Is there a better place, or box, or floaty or something that you guys put this in or on, or under to keep them a little less vulnerable to the mud&water?

Thank for your help!

·
Super Moderator
24,684 Posts
Yo Blue84Pony,
Welcome to Full Size Bronco Land!
It looks very good, congrats.
I would rather have the Fuse Panel inside the passenger compartment, under the drivers-side of the instrument panel. Such as in 85;

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications or restoration , it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (75 posts required to view).

Forum http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/21-noobie-bronco-tech-questions-flame-free-zone/165569-common-replies-faqs.html includes for example:
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/21-noobie-bronco-tech-questions-flame-free-zone/131287-baba-looeys-favorite-fsb-links-lots-lots-tech-links.html

Vote for the newest Full-Size of the Month (F.O.T.M.). See pictures & build info of each Bronco nominated! But there is a 60 day waiting period before you can vote or be nominated. Purchasing the FSM upgrade does not wave the 60 day waiting period. Contests will be held every other month; JANUARY, MARCH, MAY, JULY, SEPTEMBER. Each month in-between will be used for nominating contestants to run in the following Month.
You will get ideas by those competing.
Then get ready for the Full-Size of the Year (F.O.T.Y.)!
See my signature.
Al

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
Welcome to FSB and congrats on picking up a clean-looking (except for that wiring, yuk, lol) Bullnose!

On the fuel pump, if you are still running a carb and have no plans on running fuel injection, I would go back to a mechanical pump, unless there's a problem with the lobe that drives it. I tried a pump from O'Reileys IIRC and had trouble with it, but I'm now running a Carter pump and it works good.

On the electrical, I don't know what besides the fuel pump the additional circuits go to, but when I did my 3G swap I put in some inline fuses off of the mega fuse block. Pic for maybe clarification.

Lookin' forward to seeing what you do with it!

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
836 Posts
I’ll 2nd going back to a mechanical pump. Keep your electric in the glove box in case your mechanical pump goes out in the middle on nowhere, it’s easy to jerry rig an electric pump back in to get you back to civilization.
On suspension, I’d put money down that it is all stock
For the electrical, I’d figure out what all those fuses feed first and go from there. If it’s all going to extra stuff, or is really scabby I’d rip it all and re-do it better. But if it’s decent, or if it goes to stuff the truck needs to run, could probably just do some organizing and cleaning up. Dunno of a better place to mount the fuse block off the top of my head, but I’m sure we could find something

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,395 Posts
If one has to put a fuse block under the hood, pilfer one off an import most Honda under the hood fuse blocks are in boxes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts