Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my name is anthony and i recently purchased my brothers bronco from him for a measily $500. It runs pretty rough. The things i noticed after 30 minutes of driving it are:

temperature runs high
at idle there is a sparatic clank in the lower end of the motor
transmission acts very weird, shifts quick, shifts late, slips like it fell into neutral and even when i give it more gas there isn't much of an increase in rpms and when it does kick in and try to go it seems like it barely pulls or it just makes noise and doesn't want to go faster? but eventually slowly but surely it pulls up to speed. it doesn't do this all the time, just sparaticly.

i did some searching earlier on how to do a self test to pull codes and seems easy enough, but once i go out there to do it, it seems the eec test connector (6pin) is missing?! the single test connector is there but the other one is missing. so i did more searching and can't figure out what's going on. i did read one thread where someone said "unless your lucky and have a 96, then you can get the codes easier". So does the self test thing work for a 96? i would like to get this truck back to running in tip top shape and other than the tranny acting weird and the odd noise in the low end of the motor everything else seems ok other than some rough body panels and some steering components need replacing.

Thanks, ahead of time, for any input you guys can give me. This site seems like its very informative and active, so hopefully i came to the right place.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK. so i went to the auto part store.

truck came back with 4 codes.

2 codes (PO171,P0174) computer detects rich or lean fuel mixture (says it could be bad 02 sensors, ignition misfire, fuel injector problem, engine mechanical condition OR since both these codes are detected at the same time it could be MAF sensor or a fuel pressure problem)
1 code said my vehicle speed sensor has failed or has bad connection (p0500)
1 code said catalyst efficiency low bank 1 ( says could be bad cat converter, engine misfire, large vacuum leak, or engine oil in exhaust valve) (P0420)

So i am at a loss as to what to replace first? any ideas? obviously i should replace the vehicle speed sensor. anyone know where this is located? but as far as the other 3 codes go. they seem to be kinda linked. Should i start by replacing the 02 sensors then move onto the MAF sensor. and then re-test?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Feel like i'm all alone here. but i guess i will keep talking.

i found this thread

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122096&highlight=vehicle+speed+sensor

Which btw, is a very informative post. BUT, it now makes me even more confused than before. Let me explain why.

The auto part store is telling me i need to replace the vehicle speed sensor, and this is the product they are telling me i need.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?itemIdentifier=91156_0_0_5520&skuDescription=Duralast+/+Vehicle+Speed+Sensor&brandName=Duralast&displayName=Vehicle+Speed+Sensor&categoryNValue=15999999&sortType=&store=1424&isSearchByPartNumber=false&fromWhere=&fromString=search&counter=0&itemId=430-0&navValue=15900430&filterByKeyWord=vehicle+speed+sensor&productId=91156&searchText=vehicle+speed+sensor&categoryDisplayName=Engine+Management&parentId=59-0

but i can't seem to locate this sensor? auto parts store says it is on the tranny housing, but i still can't find it. and the thread i posted above showed the vehicle speed sensor in the rear axle housing. Which would actually be this part that autozone calls an abs sensor!?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsProduct.jsp?itemIdentifier=352012_55326_0_4024&skuDescription=Duralast+/+Brake+Sensor+-+ABS&brandName=Duralast&displayName=Brake+Sensor+-+ABS&categoryNValue=14499999&sortType=&store=1424&isSearchByPartNumber=false&fromWhere=&fromString=search&counter=1&itemId=1766-0&navValue=14401766&filterByKeyWord=abs+sensor&productId=352012&searchText=abs+sensor&categoryDisplayName=Brakes+&+Traction+Control&parentId=44-0

Someone please chime in. i'm more lost now then when i started. LOL, but never ready to give up.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Welcome to FSB. This place has all the information you will ever need regarding Broncos. Gotta post in the other sections and remember this is a holiday weekend.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i was introducing myself. and my problems. :doh0715: Seen many other intros that were done the same way. Didn't think anything of it. but thanks for the welcome. was wondering what was going on when every other intro was getting a welcome except mine. i realize its the holidays but :tinfoil

·
Registered
393 Posts
Welcome to FSB!!! :) Don't worry bout it, you can write whatever you want when you introduce yourself hun. But, do try and post your problems in other categories and see what feedback you get, again welcome and feel free to make yourself at home!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
welcome , dont have a clue on ur problem with your truck . pretty sure the folks here can help , just give a little time .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts