Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,531 Posts
Ahhhh Arizona...the new California....
yeah with all the California people moving here. get your hippy liberal asses out of my state. I will carry all the guns and ammo I want while drinking "hunting" from my vehicle driving down the hwy on my quad.

AZ rocks now get the F out.:goodfinge

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah with all the California people moving here. get your hippy liberal asses out of my state. I will carry all the guns and ammo I want while drinking "hunting" from my vehicle driving down the hwy on my quad.

why ya think I moved to the middle of nofawkinplace out here. :toothless

·
Crusher Mike
6,111 Posts

(team america music) ARIZONA FVCK YEAH!!!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Texas also instituted a fee system a few years ago for the few public lands (and private OHV park created with public funding) we have in our mostly privately-owned state (you Arizonians don't know how good you have it with all that public land in your state). The way most of us Texas wheelers look at the fee requirement is that it legitimizes our recreational hobby, much the same way as hunting and fishing license fees legitimize those recreational activities. Our OHV fees also help fund the maintenance of the OHV lands, or at least they're supposed to. But more importantly, any money making scheme the state government can institute makes it that much harder to do away with in the future, which in turn makes it that much harder for anti-OHVers to do away with our recreational activity.

Your state fee system should have the same benefit, and you'll now have more ammunition to bolster the fight to keep trails open. In fact, your state's legislation says the following:

"...The goal of the new regulations is to provide better OHV management and protection of natural resources while maintaining access. Funds generated from this program will be used to help ensure sustainable opportunities by bolstering grant programs that pay for maintenance, signage, mitigation, education, and enforcement...."

Hope it all turns out well for y'all'!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Not that I'm for bigger government but...ATV use is out of hand and destroying a lot of land. About 10% or less of rider are completely ignorant, under educated on the consequences of their actions, the perception their action causes about the entire off road community and the actual physical damage they can cause.

People now have the ability to throw cash down and buy a built side by side and head deeper and deeper into the desert. Not all but a lot are beer fueled, not caring, abusive and blasting a stereo louder then the exhaust stroke of a 2 stroke 500. This problem has really become the case of 1 bad apple spoiling the bunch. It has been the fuel that money grubbing politicians masked as "Greenies" aided by a very liberal media have capitalized on as a way to control something they haven't been able to in the past and generate more revenue.

I'm OK with permits and use fees as long as they are put to use in the way they were intended. But mostly I'm OK with it as long as their requirement and proof of purchase is enforced. Because the people that actually buy them, in general, aren't the problem. It's the a$$hats that don't follow the rules and common sense that are the problem anyway. If AZ G&F were to set up a "sting" operation every other month at different location and start impounding the abusers toys and levying fines, with the media in tow maybe the abuser type enthusiasts would start to take note.

I've purchased a State Trust Land permit every year that I've been in AZ. It's a PITA to go down town to get it or it takes forever to get it in the mail but I've done it. In the past 12 years I've only been asked if I had it once. And that was in the middle of the el Camino Del Diablo 70 miles from pavement in any direction. It wasn't even ask for it by some one that can enforce it's requirement. I was asked for it by a Border Patrol agent. The only passes he really wanted to make sure I had was for crossing the Goldwater Range and the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge...which I had.

In all the time I've spent in FJ and TM I've see more cops there responding to accidents then any other type authority. Off the top of my head I can only remember ever seeing 2 people from the AZ Department of State Trust Land out in FJ. 1 actually asked me for directions and the other was looking for cows with a rancher. Neither one asked to see my permit.

IMO-
Charge me and I will buy it.
Enforce it or get rid of it.
Use the funds to maintain not close.
Use the funds to help educate the inexperienced and seasoned vets.

-Scott

·
Bronco Master
599 Posts
I'm always skeptical when the state starts asking for money. Remember what happened with the offroad fund and Tammy's job? They'll take the money in the name of education and preserving access, then once the account is large enough to do something with they'll syphon it off to the general fund to provide more services to illegals.

I have no problem paying for access, as long as the money is used properly and the access is maintained.

I've often thought that we could clean up all the idiots from our roads be charging $200 per year for a driver's lic, and impound the vehicles of those caught driving without a paid lic. and insurance.

·
Registered
586 Posts
If its street legal...and registered with plates, its good to go anywhere with an extra OHV sticker....right?

·
TTB FTW
884 Posts
So am i suppose to pay for a permit to use the offroad trails,does it require a title/plate? I dont mind paying some cash if it helps me ride legit.

Problem is for me I ride Atc's (three wheelers), and I dont have a title,trike didnt come with one,as far as i know none of them did it wasnt a requirment back then(if i am correct). So with no title the dmv will give me no plate, but there is no way to get a title, just a bill of sale from the PO!.

My friend had trouble with the cops on his 200x, they impounded the trike and he had to prove that it was his without a title, it was a real hassle for him. I would like to keep my trike and having a plate/permit would be the legit way to do it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
so if it doesn't apply to trucks and SUV's then a street legal quad or side x side should be exempt too then

·
Bronco Master
599 Posts
so if it doesn't apply to trucks and SUV's then a street legal quad or side x side should be exempt too then
The weight and design of the side x side or quad would suggest you'd need to pay:

OHVs are defined as those machines primarily designed by the manufacturer for off-highway use and weighing 1,800 pounds or less. New requirements include:

Purchase of an annual sticker through the Arizona Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) validating use of the OHV in Arizona. This will be a flat fee that is yet to be determined but it is anticipated to be lower than the value license tax currently being charged for registration. This includes all-terrain vehicles, side by sides (Utility Vehicles), dirt bikes, and sand rails. Trucks, sport utility vehicles (SUVs), cars, and other recreational vehicles (motor homes) will not be affected.
OHV Operators and riders under the age of 18 will be required to wear a Department of Transportation (DOT) approved helmet designed for motorized vehicle use
Sound restrictions for OHVs generating sound greater than 96 decibels

·
Registered
586 Posts
that is gay that you pay to register it and then you have to pay to offroad it too..... if this wasn't AZ i'd say the logical thing would be......but its AZ and logic was thrown out the window when a city was built in the middle of the desert with no water near by

·
Bronco Master
599 Posts
I heard on the radio this morning that they raised the state trust land permit from $15 to $50-75. :imp Looking at their web site I has a question about the prohibited acitivities. Driving on established trails is ok, but rockcrawling is not? What if the established trails include rockcrawling? Or am I missing something?

RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES ALLOWED ON STATE LANDS WITH A PERMIT INCLUDE

• Hiking, horseback riding, bicycling, picnics, photography, bird watching, sightseeing
• Camping (restricted to 14-day limit per year)
Off highway vehicle use (restricted to existing roads and trails)

RECREATIONAL ACTIVITIES NOT ALLOWED ON STATE LANDS UNDER ANY PERMIT

• Target shooting, paint ball games, fireworks
• Non-recreational or extended camping
• Recreational flying
• Visiting prehistoric and historic cultural or archaeological sites
• Metal detecting
• Collecting or removing natural products (rocks, stone, soil, fossils, mineral specimens, cacti, saguaro or cholla skeletons, plants (live or dead), or firewood for home use
Rock crawling or rock hopping

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.