Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Do you approve of AutoGuide morphing our site for nefarious commercial purpose?

• Total voters
241 - 248 of 248 Posts

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,517 Posts
Sounds like the FOTM and the banner.
Yes. The FOTM and FOTY are show and tell, but that’s not the reason we are all here. We’re here to figure out, with the help of everyone here, how to keep these FSBs on the road. I just don’t see the people with new Broncos asking each other how to fix something.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,246 Posts
No apologies necessary Mr. @schwim . You've been a great help around here and to me personally, you have the insider knowledge I gave up keeping up with decades ago and you're an over-all nice enough and entertaining guy. No hard feelings what-so-ever over here buddy. I can bitch and moan and still appreciate that there are legit angles from good folks that I've never considered or I may just disagree with anyway. Wouldn't be a discussion or any damn fun anyway if everyone agreed all the time.

I'll stomp my foot and piss and moan a bit but life goes on... every day, all day long. ;)

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,336 Posts
Apparent bottom-line: It wouldn't matter if all the FSB guys were to pay a "fee" as incentive to prevent AG messing with the site. AG has their sights set on the future. No matter what. Based on this concept, though, why would it be of benefit for AG to make any efforts to keep the "old timers" around and placate us even to the slightest degree? We are not their target audience. Do they need us here for something? It's not like we're going to be able help, to any significant extent, with the new Bronco stuff coming out. It seems like they would be just as satisfied to let us all get pissed off and leave. Then, they could bastardize the site however they wanted with no flak. Why are they "humoring" us?
You need active topics to attract new users, if they have competing options. The database of posts may be the monetary stream, but the current users are the transition to hopeful growth.

·
Eric
2,610 Posts
You need active topics to attract new users, if they have competing options. The database of posts may be the monetary stream, but the current users are the transition to hopeful growth.
Okay, but aren't the current users mostly all about the FSB? There are fewer and fewer of those on the road (drivers and vehicles alike) every year and thus a dwindling base of followers. Seems like the vehicle-focus is the limiting factor here. For this site to be profitable and "grow", AG would have to integrate new stuff, right? It's kind of inevitable. I find that, if presented up front, people are more okay with a plan-of-action once they've had a chance to let it process/settle and have had their say. "Surprises" don't sit well with most. Why wouldn't AG just plainly state, "Here's what our long-term plans for this site are..." While, no, they don't owe an explanation to us, it would be the ethical and respectful thing to do. I have not met 99.99% of the people on this site, but it seems like I could stereotype them as a crowd that appreciates a show of genuine character.

A typical reason to not be up front and forward is if you expect significant resistance and are avoiding it, or, are planning how to "phase" it into existence. Little "surprises" here-and-there only serve to fan the flames of suspicion and resentment. This thread is a perfect example. It's simply another elaboration of, "Hey, hey, hey... WTF are you guys doing and why? You can't just throw some sideways s**t into the mix like that. It's not cool and it's disrespectful."

Shoot me straight and I'll hear you out. Talk to me like I'm a child and you better believe it's going turn into one of those "conversations" you can hear through a closed lead door. An understanding needs to be reached if this thing's going to work smoothly.

Or, they can just keep slipping in little "surprises" and we'll keep yelling at them for it. I can take solace in the vision of some AG employee sitting at his keyboard, with his head hung low in his hands, whispering quietly to himself in despair as he reads another 'AG Sucks' thread title with 14 pages of content to wade through, "F*** me..... not this horse-sh** again..."

You know... whatever's easier.

·
Premium Member
3,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Seems like the vehicle-focus is the limiting factor here. For this site to be profitable and "grow", AG would have to integrate new stuff, right? It's kind of inevitable.

You know... whatever's easier.

definitely need to cash in on the new bronco buzz. and that means sending in people to build up threads in a new section. they've done that.

whatever is easier? shit man, just do it. ignore the bitching except the occasional token attempt to placate. i don't believe the majority of the complaining would be avoided if they had laid out a business plan for the site. it's just that the bitching would be about the business plan and the flaws in the business plan.

90% of the long time members be like...

·
Resident Nice Guy
2,298 Posts
If you look at their properties (automotive and powersports are their strongest representation), you get an idea of the number of sites that they are juggling. Maintenance, upgrades, public relations, etc. can really suck the profit from one. When dealing with something approaching 200 sites, I think the mindset of the owners shift from "What will make these guys happy on this one site?" to "What do we need to increase the return on our properties?" We're not being dealt with like you would a valued member of a site. We're being treated like a tiny, tiny part of a much larger picture.

Remember Cricket, or whatever his name was? That was their attempt to see if having a single face to represent the company on a site would make financial sense for them. It didn't, so cricket is gone and we're back to a bunch of people using the same VS forum account to try to pick up where the last support person left off in a topic that really requires more of an idea of the history of the support issue. That was a definite step back in public relations but that's not their goal. Their goal is the nickels and dimes of a couple hundred sites, public relations be damned.

Sadly, they're not in the business of making us happy. They are in the business of absorbing properties and squeezing as much overall revenue from them as they can for as long as they can with as little investment as possible. They don't have any inclination to do any more than the very bare minimum to keep this site up and running. Whether we are happy with the banner or the topics discussed on the forum does not fit into their big picture. We are not part of their big picture.

I'm not a fan of it but being perhaps a bit younger than most(is 46 younger)? I'm more used to being treated this way online. I believe the only option to keep it from happening to your favorite forum is to never let it get into a commercial entity's hands.

241 - 248 of 248 Posts