Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
'96 XLT, 5.0, E4OD, Electric 4X4, Automatic Hubs
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if his has been mentioned yet but would you consider the 6G a Full Size? Not sure where the Full Size term came from, but if it was based on the fact that Full Size's were bigger than Early Broncos wouldn't the new Bronco also be considered Full Size as they are about as big as the Full Size? The style is geared more towards the early Broncos, but the size is clearly not. Not sure if this question is even worth discussing, but I thought of it when I saw the 6G in the banner, so figured I'd ask.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,662 Posts
Not sure if his has been mentioned yet but would you consider the 6G a Full Size? Not sure where the Full Size term came from, but if it was based on the fact that Full Size's were bigger than Early Broncos wouldn't the new Bronco also be considered Full Size as they are about as big as the Full Size? The style is geared more towards the early Broncos, but the size is clearly not. Not sure if this question is even worth discussing, but I thought of it when I saw the 6G in the banner, so figured I'd ask.
Fullsize came from the fact that our broncos were based on the fullsize trucks of the day. So if the new bronco was based off an f150, then it would be fullsize.

To me it looks the size of the most recent toyota FJ cruisers... Not full sized.

·
Registered
'96 XLT, 5.0, E4OD, Electric 4X4, Automatic Hubs
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhhh, I get it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer Bronco 5.0L AOD Full length headers, no cats annoying Flowmasters
85 Posts
Its built on the Escape platform, but with big tires, which is about in line with the pre 78 Broncos, but I do like it's looks. I haven't seen one in person yet, so until i do, i cant have a good opinion.

I have friends with jeeps, and that's the market this new mid-size Bronco is aiming at, which is fine. My biggest complaint about a jeep, is that it is so small inside
that you are basicly touching shoulders with the person in the passenger seat, and you get a 4" wide console, which is why I got an old FSB, cuz I like lots of room inside. The width of the vehicle is all fender flares, & I would rather have interior space. So I hope the new bronco isna bit more roomy inside than a jeep.

·
Registered
12 Posts
  • The new Bronco can be as wide as a 1978 full-size model.
  • The new four-door earns the overall title of Biggest Bronco Ever.

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco, 351w, Edelbrock aluminum top end, Holley 600, 4" BDS lift, 35" Maxxis Razr's, stuff..
2,468 Posts
I think this whole debate is a waste of time. They are all Ford Bronco's and they all have strengths. Roll with it folks. They are all cool rigs powered by Ford. Let's build, wheel, and have some fun!

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,535 Posts
Its built on the Escape platform, but with big tires, which is about in line with the pre 78 Broncos, but I do like it's looks. I haven't seen one in person yet, so until i do, i cant have a good opinion.
Actually the sport is built on the escape frame. The "full size" is built on the ranger frame.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,197 Posts
Not an FSB technical question fit for the noobie section. More like a "Bronco Discussion" or that other section that shall not be named. 😝 I concur with @BigBlue 94 ... 1000%

·
Registered
932 Posts
  • The new Bronco can be as wide as a 1978 full-size model.
  • The new four-door earns the overall title of Biggest Bronco Ever.
Bigger than a Centurion?

Actually the sport is built on the escape frame. The "full size" is built on the ranger frame.
...which still isn’t an F150. Wait, does that mean the new Bronco is more akin to a -shudder- Bronco II?

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,592 Posts
Sort guys I’m just not into jeeps :ROFLMAO: ;) , or most newer rigs for that matter! If it’s based of a ranger it ain’t full size

Reactions: Desert Bronco

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,197 Posts
Bigger than a Centurion?
...which still isn’t an F150. Wait, does that mean the new Bronco is more akin to a -shudder- Bronco II?
I'm not gonna search it down but if you recall... long, long ago, in a forum not that far away, I kept calling the new Bronco a revamp of the BII, not an FSB.

And yes... if you want to try and compare the 4 door, do it properly and realize that the king Bronco, when it comes to overall size (not lift) is absolutely the Centurion Bronco. Where's @Audra when you need her?
Unless you count old SuperJunks (I think it was) home made 2nd gen 4 door. That thing was a Bad-Ass Bronco limo!

Know your roll 2021 M.S.B. 😝

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco, 351w, Edelbrock aluminum top end, Holley 600, 4" BDS lift, 35" Maxxis Razr's, stuff..
2,468 Posts
For comparison here are some specs;

FSB/B21/Original

Wheelbase 105/100/92
Length 183/173/151
Width 70/86/69
Weight 4600/4500-5200/3200
Cargo 50CF/80CF/?
Height 74/73/71
Front Headroom 41/41
Legroom 41/43/?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Here is a photo next a ? Ford

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,312 Posts
Centurions weren't produced by Ford. As such, they don't belong in the conversation of biggest Broncos. Anything can be modified to be larger after it leaves the factory.

I wasn't aware that the "full-size" in FSB traces its roots to it being based on the full-size pickups of the day. I figured it was literally a size reference, relative to the Classic Bronco. That is indeed a dilemma with the Ranger-based '21 Bronco, regardless of how it compares size-wise. The underlying definition doesn't fit.

On the other hand, I've seen lots of articles refer to '78-96 models as the Big Bronco. From that perspective, '21+ models fit.

What we have is a terminology issue, not a size issue.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
14,960 Posts
For comparison here are some specs;

FSB/B21/Original

Wheelbase 105/100/92
Length 183/173/151
Width 70/86/69
Weight 4600/4500-5200/3200
Cargo 50CF/80CF/?
Height 74/73/71
Front Headroom 41/41
Legroom 41/43/?

Wait am I reading that correctly? They're saying the new Bronco has 80 CF of storage. which is 30 more than the FSB? Find that hard to believe from looking at the pics..they didn't look like they barely had any cargo capacity..

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,312 Posts
Wait am I reading that correctly? They're saying the new Bronco has 80 CF of storage. which is 30 more than the FSB? Find that hard to believe from looking at the pics..they didn't look like they barely had any cargo capacity..
I wonder if those numbers are flipped? A quick search doesn't show FSB cargo capacity specs, but my napkin math says 80 CF sounds about right. 50 is way too low. 6 x 4 x 3 = 72 CF, and it's probably more than 3' height.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
I was surprised by that cargo number as well but that’s what is listed for both. The 21 is very wide, maybe that’s doing it?

Regarding the full size truck discussion - the original bronco was not based on anything - except maybe an update to the Ford GP. It was original. A new vehicle designed for a specific market sector.

The “full size” bronco (I don’t even think that was ever a formal Ford model description anyway, it’s always been just Ford Bronco; see - just a Bronco, not a Full Size Bronco.)

from 78-96 is a F150 short short bed with a seat in the back. Following that logic, which is more “Bronco”, the 66-77 or the 78-96? I don’t think that’s the argument that wants to be used by those saying the new Bronco isn’t “full size”.

It’s just another Bronco that happens to be designed and built in the modern era using modern stuff.

Cheers

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer Bronco 5.0L AOD Full length headers, no cats annoying Flowmasters
85 Posts
An Escape or Ranger sized vehicle with suspension, wheels, and tires to make it wider & taller.

So with that mentality, I offer you the 1984 full sized Bronco! Just ignore the fact that you are touching shoulders with the passenger, and cant tow very much like a full size Bronco.

But dont get me wrong, I do very much like the new Bronco, it's just not a Full size F150 based Truck is my only point.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts