Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, nice site you've got here!

My name is Drew, and I recently picked up my first Bronco, and I absolutely love it!
I'm a regular on a few mustang boards, and am mainly a stang freak, but I thought I'd check your place out and get some info on what I've got just for future reference.

Here's what I picked up:
96 Eddie Bauer, maroon (whats the name of this color?) with tan two tone and tan top. 351 and I'm guessing E40D? Were there optional tranny's in this year? I know its not an AOD-E because it is HUGE.
The previous owner installed airlift airbags in the rear, which is very nice when towing my stang to the track.

Are there any problem areas to look at or keep in mind on this year or engine? I've heard something about the rear window motor going out? Is this a typical problem?

Also, I've noticed the tailgate is somewhat hard to release and the handle is a bit bent out. Is there an easy fix on this?

Whats the main bottleneck in performance in this engine? I know theres got to be a ton left in it. I'm assuming mainly the heads???

Will newer (97+) F150/Expedition wheels fit on it? I'd like to have a newer style wheel on it, and can pick up some 17" expedition wheels fairly cheap.

I've also noticed when I drive in a hard rain for a little while, the carpet will get pretty damp. Mainly around the rear cargo area, but also some on the passenger side front floorboard. Is this a weatherstrip issue or an undercarriage one?

I think thats about it for now, sorry for writing a novel. Just thought I'd try to kill a few birds with one stone :)

again, great site you've got here!

-Drew

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its just a basic street/strip car more or less.
347 with highly ported GT40P heads, ported Typhoon intake, AFM cam. mild drag suspension, blah blah blah
I've gone a best of [email protected] 11's NA is my goal, then the nitrous goes back on it :)

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Welcome aboard, most of those questions are already answered some where on here and are just a search away...This should help:
A few things to know:
1. Make sure to vote for FOTM each month by going to the FOTM thread and picking your fav. nominee! (10 new nominees each month, and someday it could be you!)
2. Be sure to vote for this site at TOP4x4 by clicking the link at the top of the page. (It brings us in alot of new traffic!)
3. Post up some pics of your rig! (click here-->[http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6204]click me, click me!![/URL] to find out how!)
4. Add your rig's specs (or a pic) to your sig line. (It comes in handy when asking questions for people to know what kinda rig thier helping you with!)
5. Before asking a handfull of questions please try the search button at the top right hand corner of the page.
It looks like this:
This site has been around long enough that ALOT of topics have already been discussed and now all you gotta do is read.

Welcome aboard, make your self at home!!!:thumbup

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
fiveohpatrol said:
Whats the main bottleneck in performance in this engine? I know theres got to be a ton left in it. I'm assuming mainly the heads??? -Drew
Heads are fine, the exhaust can always use headers and bigger pipes.
The intake is really slow, made for torque under 3000RPM. power typically goes under at that point.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
37,574 Posts
79F150 said:
Welcome to the site.:thumbup
.............:stupid :thumbup

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
Welcome, you had the gt-40P heads ported after you bought them. A few of us have them on our Broncos, I love mine!

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,683 Posts
Welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll enjoy your Bronco, but as you are finding out they are not without their quirks..The water in the cargo area and the water passenger side floor board that comes in from the rain could be a couple of things..I spent weeks trying to track my leaks down. The passenger side floor board leak is most like from where the blower motor comes through the fire wall. At the top of it there is a seam that is typically filled with some type of putty, I just siliconed the hell out of it and the problem was solved. Make sure you check the rain gutters around the roof for cracks. If they're real bad you might want to consider getting it repaired. As for the water in the cargo are, thats a tough one. The tops won't leak from the sides, but at the very back there is a piece of weather stripping at either side that seals when the tailgate is put up. that might be worn out on yours. Good luck.:beer :beer :beer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, thanks for the all of the welcomings!

Blaze, I wasn't sure how long the site had been around, or if these were common problems. I'll be sure to use the search from now no before posting.

SMOOTH, The porting was done by myself and a friend of mine. I also added Ferrea valves to them. You simply can't beat these heads for the money. I picked a bare pair up brand spankin new for $200!
Maybe I'll keep these heads when I get my AFR's for the stang, and slap the P's on the bronco, along with some porting on the intake :beer

thanks again for the warm welcome

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,998 Posts
one more welcome couldn't hurt...WELCOME. i am a big mustang fan, wouldn't hurt to post some pics when you get a chance (of your FSB and the stang).

:chili:

·
Super Moderator
27,223 Posts
Yo Drew, Welcome!
...96 Eddie Bauer, maroon (whats the name of this color?) with tan two tone and tan top.
from orig 96 Bronco dealer brochure...Dark Toreador Red Clearcoat Metallic top with Light Saddle Clearcoat Metallic lower accent. (combo was avail only in the EB model)
351 and I'm guessing E40D? Were there optional tranny's in this year? I know its not an AOD-E because it is HUGE. 5.0 and E4OD were standard in EB with 5.8 and E4OD optional in EB.
problem areas:
- oil pan rust - our's started to rust @60k Miles
- radiator plastic side seam leaks esp. during engine cool-down period/overnight; our's leaked @ 40k miles I believe
- auto tranny and transfer case operation - electric push button motor/connector is a prob. area
- auto hub operation (get it in sand or mud and try the 4x4 system) - our's blew on beach @ 30k miles despite frequent maintenance
- rust in inner rear fender lips and bottom of tailgate (our fender lips was rusting due to beach sand wearing the paint)
- radius arm bushing deterioration - esp on passenger side
- cracked exhaust manifold/y etc.
- roof/gutter area cracks (but mostly in earlier years)
tailgate is somewhat hard to release and the handle is a bit bent out...happens wehn cargo inside is slid out and bends handle and it's linkage; or "from attempting to open the tailgate before the glass is FULLY down and it causes the inside handle not to return fully flat"....replace it w/new stuff from Ford or Broncograveyard.com
and see Steve's pic and info on this:
http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/showmedia.php?id=71412
carpet will get pretty damp..cargo area...ck weatherstripping on cargo floor; water will seep up believe it or not at speed; or the weather belt at top of the t gate on outside where it rubs against the glass; ck this for integrity too.

clean w/s, use baby powder, etc. and give it a ride in rain to find leaky area if a visual doesn't find the source.
F150/Expedition wheels fit on it? ..already answered

performance...have $ for a K. Belle s/c?...lol///I have this need for one...soon!

Have fun here; best Big Bronco MB on da web!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts