Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks! My name is Jason, and I recently came to be the owner/caretaker of a 1980 Bronco that is a little rough around the edges (like me, also a 1980 model). Looking forward to making it new again. I'm hoping I'll find some answers to questions I'll have along the way here. I'm a fairly active member on another forum dedicated to Mustangs, and have learned a TON from the more knowledgeable folks over there. I've always had an love for Broncos, and the itch to get my red neck-rider finally got the best of me. :ROFLMAO: It's obviously got some rust issues, but I am hoping I can replace/repair everything and make it solid again. I think (hope?) I got a decent deal on it at $3,500...but maybe I was robbed, doesn't matter now I guess...the damage is done!

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Car
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Car seat cover Steering part

·
Super Moderator
30,988 Posts
Yo Jason,
Welcome to our DIY BIG Bronco community and it's great that you added your 80 signature!

Here is the 1980 Bronco Dealer Brochure by Ford via Gary

1980 Paint Chips by Ford via Gary @ 1980 Light Truck Exterior Colors

1980 Bronco Advertisement by Ford via Gary

1980-1986 Bronco/F Series Fasteners by Gary

1980-1986 Bronco/F Series Carburetors, Chokes & EFI by Gary

1980-1986 Bronco/F Series Specifications by Gary @ Axle Ratios - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible)

Differences in 1980-1986 Bronco/F Series by Gary

1980 Truck Service Highlights - Chassis by Gary
Includes the proper adjustment of the parking brake tensioner & rebuilding instructions on the Dana 60 axle and the NP208 and BW1345 transfer cases.

1980 Ford Truck Electrical Chassis Highlights by Gary (similar as Bronco) @ 1980 Truck Service Highlights - Electrical
Explains electrical features of the Bullnose trucks, including the exterior lighting, digital clock use, speed control installation & testing, CB radio installation & controls, ignition switch removal & installation & logic test, fuse panel, etc.

1980 Light Truck Roadability Diagnosis Guide @ 1980 Light Truck Roadability Diagnosis Guide
Explains how to check alignment and brake drag, adjust wheel bearings, center the steering gear, torque ball joints, inflate the tires, etc. And, has specifications for ride height.

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via member BroncMom!

Partial Chilton Manual for 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 Bronco. Scanned by broncocity.com @ Bronco City

1980 Free Wheelin' Fords Brochure, including the F-Series, Broncos, E-Series, and the Courier by Gary @ 1980 Free Wheelin' Fords announcing the 1980 Free Wheelin'...

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (50 posts required to view due to scammers who preyed on our members.).

Our Forum FAQs includes for example;
How to Use Search
How To Find New Posts
How To Filter New Posts To Only Display Specific Section(s)
How To Mark Forums Read

and more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links)

➡ Try to find time to participate and VOTE in our Full-Size of the Month and later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contests @ F.O.T.M Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.
Prizes are awarded to the winner; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted. Also, a years worth of premium FSB membership.

Enjoy our site!
Al

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,576 Posts
Do you guys do project threads on this forum? On my Mustang forum I document all my restoration efforts in that thread.
We do and I agree it's a great way to document, but also to share with us :) 78 - 96 Build Forum....Builds only

Welcome to FSB and congrats on the 80! It's cool you got one born the same year as you. She looks to be pretty much original and complete. Lookin' forward to see what you do with 'er.

We like Mustangs too, so feel free to share a couple pics of your Mach also!

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,583 Posts
looks a little rusty, but it is 42 years old…I don’t think it’s too bad? View attachment 199741
View attachment 199740
That looks great for a 42 YO frame, especially considering where it's from..

Depending on how far you want to take things, you could go from from doing a frame off and then POR15 everthing, or clean up the bad spots with a wire wheel and hit it with some rattle can undercoating..

It's cool being able to see one of the old swiss cheese frames in that good of a condition.

Definitely start yourself a build thread like @SRWillis advised.

Looking forward to seeing more!

·
Registered
'81 351w, 3+Od
55 Posts
1980-1981 were weird years for the Bronco. There was a factory CB radio in 80-81 which I have never actually seen. A sunroof was not an option for '81 so unlikely it was factory in 1980. Either way, it's a cool addition. If you find any branding or model numbers on your sunroof let me know. A sunroof is something I would like to add to mine.

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,919 Posts
For a MN rig I'd say it looks awesome.
Must have been cared for reasonably well.
Seen stuff 15 years newer not looking 1/2 as nice. If you drove it home

Safely

Call it a win.

Welcome from a western neighbor.

Reactions: Fredensborg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1980-1981 were weird years for the Bronco. There was a factory CB radio in 80-81 which I have never actually seen. A sunroof was not an option for '81 so unlikely it was factory in 1980. Either way, it's a cool addition. If you find any branding or model numbers on your sunroof let me know. A sunroof is something I would like to add to mine.
I'd like to find one of those factory CB's...I used to have a CB in my old '92 F150 when I was a kid. I'll give the sunroof a good looking over when I get home

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For a MN rig I'd say it looks awesome.
Must have been cared for reasonably well.
Seen stuff 15 years newer not looking 1/2 as nice. If you drove it home

Safely

Call it a win.

Welcome from a western neighbor.
Still has this on the side neighbor…ever heard of this dealer? Might be another reason the rust isn’t too bad, I hear they don’t salt roads in the Dakotas
Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior Rectangle Auto part

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,919 Posts
@Fredensborg
Been in Mobridge a few times but don't recognize the dealership.
Let's just say that there isn't as prolific use of 'salt' here historically as in MN.
SD probably uses it more than ND, although I don't have actual data to prove it.
However...condition speaks well to care taken to clean it up IMHO.

Reactions: Fredensborg

·
Registered
95 EB Bronco, 5.8L
89 Posts
That is a pretty clean rig alright. I'm now in KS, but having lived most of my life in MN, I can say that the salt sure is tough on vehicles. It gets into everywhere and your finding one from SD is fortunate. As suggested earlier, clean up things with a power washer and wire wheel and then use some good undercoating. Several members on here have some good suggestions with links to manufacturers web info.
You have a nice clean starting point for your project!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, I’m hoping it’s all fixable…I have better pictures in my build thread that show the extent of the rust. It makes me a little nervous, but I’ll dive in and see!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here’s a couple pics of the sunroof. I couldn’t find any FoMoCo markings, or identifying marks really except for on the top of the glass.
Grille Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Gas Auto part
Hood Grille Grey Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 21 Posts