Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

New bronco owner Rear Window trouble

2882 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  kenny714
I am now the proud owner of a 78 Bronco. Now I get to start working on all the little things that have been neglected for many years, heater, brakes, lights etc!
I am having quite a time with the rear window. It was already uninstalled when I got it and I am having a hard time getting it back in. I bought a Chilton manual, but it doesn't go into the detail that I need to get it all back together. I tested the motor on the battery and it seems to work, I can't get either of the switches to work, it is like there is a wiring problem somewhere. I was thinking about just running new wire to one of the switches but wanted to get some opinions from you all who have worked on them before. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks-
Schuyler
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Rear window issues are common with Broncos, do a search and you'll find gobs of information on fixing rear window related issues.
Yeah, mine only works from the key switch in the tail gate and only when I hold my tongue just right!
We found that my gear was ground, so i repaired the gear. Next was wireing i had power going to the motor to a certin point, fixed the wireing good to go. Next to see if the key switch will work, no go. but it all goes in there like the regulator and window, window support thing that it bolts too. its WAY easier then some of the new car door power windows.
There is a low limit switch, shuts off power when the window is all the way down, make sure that isn't shorted. And there is also a switch in the center of the gate for the latches, it only supplies power to the motor if the latches are closed both clicks.
I think when i took my rear window apart all the switches were disconnected, would this be why my key switch dosnt work?
I got the window installed and ran a couple of wires up to the battery and the motor works fine- it will raise and lower the window just by switching the pos and neg on the battery so that got the window up for the winter. I must have a wiring issue, it seems like it would be easier to wire in a 3 way toggle switch than to trace all the wiring back trying to find a problem. Thoughts?
I got the window installed and ran a couple of wires up to the battery and the motor works fine- it will raise and lower the window just by switching the pos and neg on the battery so that got the window up for the winter. I must have a wiring issue, it seems like it would be easier to wire in a 3 way toggle switch than to trace all the wiring back trying to find a problem. Thoughts?
Behind the left taillight is the connector for the tailgate harness. Start there and make sure the tailgate harness is OK.

Behind the guage/speedo is a relay that powers the inside switch, check it.

Check the wiring from the inside switch to the tailgate harness connector, they could have a break in them.
Thanks! I will give it a shot.
That's what I did with both the 86 and the 78. I disconected all the other crap too. (low limit and latch switch) You need a 6 post on-off-on momentary switch. Wireing it is a little wierd but, not to bad.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.