Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not new to 4WD or busted knuckles but any motor swaps I did I was incredibly lucky with imho. I have a few questions i posted up some general questions on first tools I should get but I posted in the 78-79 area so here I go.

A step one it's an old 82 bronco shocks are blown exhaust is gone (literally manifolds to 2 foot of pipe then blown off at some bolt junction the last exhaust guy bolted the exhaust together.......

B Changing fluids. This weekend I am getting under the truck replacing tranny/t case and engine oils. Considering changing out U joints and Gear oil in the front and rear axles. it was easy on my chubbie but I'm unfamiliar with fords and that's an extreme understatement. BUT good news is your rotor is so easy to get too!

C Block numbers last owner said it had a 302 I want to verify.

D Tranny on a standard 82 ford 3 speed was? Sorry but chevy all I have to figure out is if it's a turbo 350 400 or R4..you guys have alot more choices.

E Recommended tools. I plan on changing some outter axle bearings eventually if not sooner and inner once I switch to dee troyts!!!!

F If it is a 302 my 350 was a Crate HO motor pushing some 400 odd foot lbs of tq down. short of a supercharger I dont' see a 302 matching those numbers. how able is the 302 at handling something this heavy.

G exhaust recommendations. It's gone....It fell off..it fell the [email protected]#$ off....3 inch single 2.5 inch duel H pipe? recommendations? When answering remember I live in California.

H Did I mention tools? Other thread said craftsmans a go!! What about impact stuff.

·
Registered
453 Posts
D Tranny on a standard 82 ford 3 speed was? Sorry but chevy all I have to figure out is if it's a turbo 350 400 or R4..you guys have alot more choices.

F If it is a 302 my 350 was a Crate HO motor pushing some 400 odd foot lbs of tq down. short of a supercharger I dont' see a 302 matching those numbers. how able is the 302 at handling something this heavy.

the trans should be a c6. i have a 302 and i like it. but it would take alot to match a 350s power. i ran right with my buddies blazer and he had a 350. and as far as tools. impact sockets are great. lots or pb blaster and a big hammer. ha.

·
Registered
266 Posts
For the exhaust, luckily you can score a really good 3 inch tailpipe really cheap.
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...=mandrel+cheap

If you want to spend a bit more money, a new y pipe will really get that exhaust breathing better, and give you an increase in MPG.
If you search "y pipe" "y-pipe", etc you'll get tons of info.
Bassani seems to be the most popular.

You can also make your own y pipe, check out what this guy made:
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=114224

I highly recommend doing upgrading the ignition, pays for itself in no time
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63592&highlight=ignition+upgrade

If you post a pic of your engine, somebody will be able to tell if it's a 302 or 351.

As for tools, I try and save where I can. Sure you get what you pay for, but sometimes you can score a bargin. I picked up a good set of sockets from http://www.summitracing.com/ for cheap. 1/2" drive, 12 sockets that went up to 1"... for just $15. Sockets
Or you can take a gamble at http://www.harborfreight.com/

And I'll throw in the link to the Search Tutorial

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright so I popped for the little 145 piece tool set at sears...good ol craftsman..they have a 40 dollar impact wrench???? that's gotta snap fast. Ok Mercron5 Oil 6 quarts new gasket..T case takes gear oil? hmmmm Unfortunately it looks to be leaking and it looks to be leaking red "tranny" type fluid.......

B checked out the front drive shaft today..it's hammered toast not broken but...well it's not pretty

c Rear drive shaft appears to be solid BUT the rear axle looks to want to sweat some gear oil when your driving. I say that because there's never a noticeable "drip" on the ground and yes I always look under my trucks each time I drive..I'm used to beaters that pee themselves alot. BUT how difficult to reseal the pumpkin on what I believe is a ford 9.

D the TTB 44 front looks solid...Except..when I get to near bump stop turning the wheel I hear a clunk I'll have to find someone that will spin the wheel for me while I look I suppose but anyone have an idea I can check solo?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is the policy on bumping your questions? And PS that link fo that mandrel bent exhaust doesn't work for me on ANY of the threads that I have seen it on and it makes my teeth hurt!! I want it!!! I need it!! whoever welded the exhaust before I got it..got the y pipe so hot the exhaust literally fell apart AT the y..no joint..no bolt up that came loose..no....it just feel the @#$# off!!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yeah some Broncos like other vehicles have had the crap beat out of them and put up wet, get used to work atleast until you get it back in decent shape.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I Like the truck it will do alot for me than my old 77 1/2 ton 1 ton. I am a little happy I have a c6 as opposed to some other tranny's for durability. As far as the T case I'm unsure it's leaking around the center case :( slow so I can live with it sort of...but it means I will at LEAST have to drop the damn thing and perhaps take to a shop to have them reseal it which means they might as well go through the damn thing which is alot of money lol. Oh well keep oil in it for now..speaking of oil...T case takes gear oil 80-90 weight correct? Same as front and rear diffs.

Also the tranny shifts extremely early..like I let off the brake accelerate it hits 2nd and 3rd before I hit 15 miles an hour sometimes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts