Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 92 XLT in great shape for 1200 bucks.
Has a rear main oil link which I new about. Just went out this morning to just look at it like a hot blond, and I noticed to coolant puddles. Have had it for a week and the first time I have seen this.
The first one is coming out around the lower rad hose water pump area, new hose and water pump should fix that. The second one seems to be coming out of the rear main seal area, so that has me a little stump. I assume there is some type of freeze plug back there somewhere. By the way it's a 5.8 with 184,xxx on the clock.

Any help would be sweet. Also that bronco in my sig I sold about 4 years ago, so I am a returning member. They always come back eh.

Thanks Roman

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
check the top of the engine, It maybe leaking from the top to the bottom. any signs of the motor being rebuilt? coolant can be leaking from the head bolts if it was rebuilt and the rebuilder didnt seal the bolts before putting them in or it can be a freeze plug as you mentioned. There are 2 freeze plugs on the back of the engine as well.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just took some pictures of the new beast, mainly showing where it's leaking.

Like I said it's an 92 xlt, 351w, new tires, weld rims, new 3 inch exhaust front to back. Body is in good shape, interior is in good shape. Came with a bunch of stereo stuff as well. Paid 1200 for it, the guy was asking 2000;)

On to the pics.
Motor, not sure if it's had any work done to it or not.

Motor

Lower rad hose to see where it's leaking.

This one is right below the water pump.

Right behind the harmonic balance.

This one is the back left side of motor. I appears it's traveling down the lip of the oil pan.

And finnally a pic of the Bronco.

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
pressure test it till you see where it is coming from. looks like the water pump or tstat housing is leaking a bit. no biggie there. it could be running to the back of the motor. there are freeze plugs back there as well. like i said i would pressure test it and see where it is coming from and fix it then. BTW nice looking truck

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pressure test it till you see where it is coming from. looks like the water pump or tstat housing is leaking a bit. no biggie there. it could be running to the back of the motor. there are freeze plugs back there as well. like i said i would pressure test it and see where it is coming from and fix it then. BTW nice looking truck

You talking this right?
http://www.benplace.com/pressure_test.htm
If so thanks, if not could you point me in the right direction.

Thanks

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
yeah that looks right. i didnt read the whole thing. Basically you remove the cap and pump the tester up, building up pressure. once pressure is built up you can see where the leaks are coming from. the one is the rear can be from the front getting blown back.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I agree with likeoj that it is running back. Had a jeep once that had a puddle of coolant every morning under transmission drove me nuts, got it up on a friends lift and found it was coming from water pump. Water does wierd stuff! Plus what are the odds of it not leaking at all then leaking in two places? But you never know

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
wow, you stole that thing. lets see some shots of the wheels

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Yeah, throw a pressure tester on there to see exactly where it is coming from, but if I were to guess I would say that it is coming from the timing cover gasket. Mine has been leaking there for over a year (not as bad as yours but...) :brownbag

If you are going in to replace the water pump you might as well replace the timing gasket too because I guarantee you with 184,000mi. the gasket is causing some of that leak. Oh and check the timing chain too! Don't you just love "while you're in there jobs"?:histerica

1 - 11 of 11 Posts