Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some horse trading and now the proud owner of one 1978 ford bronco. The truck has been sitting in the woods since 2008, the best part is the truck was transported east from escondido ca in 2006, the paper from the shipper was still in truck. The truck has zero rust and somebody did a a good job on fixing it up. Let me know if anybody remembers seeing the truck or a thread on it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not much as of now other than get the mold washed off. it is an june of 78 model tilted as a 78. The build sheet was in the floor and square headlamps was a option. The truck looks in great shape other than the front fenders being cut. Don't know to much yet as i just got it in trade for swapping a motor in a 4runner. The trim code is a EA1 is that a custom?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got a chance to check it over some, I think it will clean up good. It i amazing to see one of these trucks with no rust. The carpet looks factory and the door panel's are the fancy one's, but i still don't know if it is a custom or a higher model.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
going by the pictures with the door panels and dash trim I'd say an XLT. Door panels are an easy swap, but the dash trim is a PIA to add. Doesn't really matter though. other than a few dodads pretty much everything important like driveline options could be had on a custom and an XLT. post the VIN from the DS door opening and the codes. it will tell you what motor it came with and the door trim tag will tell you axle codes and if tilt steering was present when it was built. OH!! FYI the mirrors aren't stock so there has been some body work done. I bet if you pulled off a door panel or a rear trim panel you would see where the trim retainer holes has been filled. Also the speaker hole is custom as the stock ones were behind the door panel.
Really nice truck by the way!! I'd be tickled to get one like that for a few hours of labor. More pics please?
Swamp

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has had some work done to it, but the body work looks good all the panels fit good. By the vin and parts of the build sheet it was a factory 351. No tilt but it is still the factory color chrome yellow.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After washing for a few hours it looks a lot better, still needs about 10 more cleanings.

·
Bronco Snob
2,098 Posts
Sure is a sweet Lil eye catcher ....nice find :thumbup

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My dad came over and waxed the whole truck and helped me take out the interior. After cleaning out the interior I was happy to find little rust witch is just on surface see in picture. Pulled all the plugs out and oiled cylinders, changed the oil and filter and drained the seven year old gas out. Took the top off of the carb and it was clean so I put it all back and tried to start it but starter motor is shot. ( why truck was parked seven years ago) I have a new starter but truck has long tube headers on it and I have to remove passenger side to replace it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dose anybody know what the big wire harness that you can see in the picture above?
It runs from the fire wall down the drivers side of the transmission hump to the left rear off truck. Not the seat belt harness and it looks factory, but was cut right at firewall by somebody.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
From the 30 or so Broncos I have worked on I have never seen that harness before. Best guess is it was for something a previous owner added on. Could be some power for some subs and an amp. Did you follow it to see where it comes from or where it goes?

Swamp

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The harness looks factory to me but it may not be. I install fire and police equipment at work and most car's and truck's are ordered with up fitter packages that have harness and switches all ready installed. It had to be for radio or something with light loads, many small gauge wires.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
bow, is it possible that this was an old forest service truck that would have had a light kit? I have a Bronco that came from Alaska and it had a rear heat unit installed in it at one time.
Swamp

1 - 20 of 72 Posts