Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i just picked up my first bronco today it's a 96 xlt with the 5.8l, it worked great during the test drive and all the way home for 90 miles. Once I pulled into town at the stop signs it would start to stutter, almost stall and all the electric stuff starts to flash off and on. did the same thing when i went to lunch. When i got off work It wouldn't even start!!! I thought the battery was dead had a friend give me a jump still nothing just the selinoid clicking, tried bypassing the seliniod still nothing pounded on the starter for a min still nothing. I am guessing other than some crappy luck with a new truck this is just a bad starter? I don't know if that could have anything to do with the other problems but at least if i could start it i could get it home. any input or advise would be welcome.
thanks
jason

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
A lot of times when a a unit like this Bronco sits for a period of time as they sometimes do at car dealers or even privately sold units sit sometimes....
This can cause the battery to take a crap.
At this point I would be checking the charging system.....make sure your alternator is charging.....check all the wires going from the alt to battery, and starter relay....starter itself and solenoid. This could also be a good time to buy a new battery......but make sure you get one with over 800CCA, and a good warranty. I would also be checking all the wire terminals and fasteners.

Just make 100% sure your Bronco has a good battery and good charging system......then go from there......like next you may want to check for codes.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tried a new starter this morning and also the battery out of my car which is the same size and only a few months old. still all I get is a click.

·
Registered
490 Posts
check the ground wires, make sure they are tight and have good connection

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Konham said:
check the ground wires, make sure they are tight and have good connection
new battery clamps and they are on tight, the grond to the chasis is tight also niether have any corrosion

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
could plugging in a OBD-II conector have screwed anything up, because now that i think about it i did try to see if there were any codes inbetween lunch and when i got off work and it didn't start

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Did you try it with a "KNOWN GOOD" starter relay (solenoid) to see if that is where your problem is?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i didn't try it with another relay/soleniod but i did try bypassing it and then the starter would click instead of the solenoid

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one of my coworkers had a customer that was a ford mechanic and he said that some aftermarket obd-II testers can fry the computer, the one i bought is one that hooks to my laptop could this be possible and would that cause the no start problem?

·
Registered
173 Posts
nice At least it wasn't a gm product that would have been a good smoke show

·
Back in TEXAS
1,967 Posts
Was that the wire from the relay to the starter or one of your grounds?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was going to suggest replacing your battery cables, I had a positive cable that was actually corroded inside the cable. All it was doing was making the starter click. I changed 2 starters thinking it was bad and eventually it took me and an electrician to trace it to the bad cable.

Glad you found it though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts