Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some time and sunshine today, so decided to install the new center caps and Gorilla lug nuts on the Mickey Thompsons. Not perfect, but much better.

First, the before photo, right front:

After removing most of the brake dust, that stuff is nothing if not tenacious. Couldn't get it all this time, but will chip away at it:

Rear before. Actually this is the relatively clean left rear, the right rear was really bad, but I didn't photo it before cleaning:

Next, the right rear after clean up:

Last, here's the old steel rear cap next to the new aluminum cap. While the alloy unit may dent, it won't rust:

Also, the new caps taper slightly more than the old ones did, so the socket fits on the lug nut and clears the cap now.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yeah...Aluminum wheels can be a beast to clean. I bought myself some polish yesterday and it seems to work pretty well. It was called mothers polish or something...it was the only thing halfway decent that I found at the Zone. There was a really good post a while back about how to clean aluminum wheels.
Zoop and a Flitz ball came up several times as a good way to get them to shine.:thumbup

·
Administrator
22,854 Posts
mothers is one of the best polishes to use...you can get a polish wheel and shaft at home depot...or sears...attaches to a drill and makes it much easier to clean.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I used to be an auto detailer and the best way other than maybe a flitz ball, is acid, steel wool, and a course brush. Time helps also, spent 2 hours one day on the DIRTIEST fvcking wheels on a BMW ever. But when I was done, looked brand new.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
will the aluminum scatch up??? ive heard that they have a clear coat over them that the steel wool will ruin??

i have same wheels...there cleaner than yours...but only have 4000 miles on them

nice work

DC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts