Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not a Bronco, but at least it's a ford. I bought a Mechanic's special... 1992 Lincoln Towncar Signature series.

Original owner was my neighbor's mother, who lives two houses down. She drove the car, reliably for years. Around two years ago, she bought a "replacement" Merc grand marque so the lincoln got parked. Sun started affecting it's shitty 1992 paint and it began to peal.

Car is mechanically sound (engine, and rear axle wise), but needs a few things to make her highway worthy.

The beginning of said issues are: Front Suspension/Steering. I'm suspecting the gear box is the culprit, as the bottom seal, where the pitman arm connects is leaking pretty badly. There are some other concerns towards bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints and idler arm.

Next part of issues. The brakes "went out" last night. I don't know why, but my brake pressure went to NILL after driving around my local city block area, just driving the car seeing what kind of issues it has. I suspect the master cylinder is at fault. You must press the pedal to the floor to stop this 4,000lb beast. It's not hard to press, but it's a lot of travel and there's no resistance while pressing.

Last of major isses...... When the car has reached "operating temp", there is a noise I can only describe as "Shaking a tin can full of bolts", that occurs at around 30-35mph in 3rd gear. I've learned that the 92's use the AODE transmission, and the 4R70W is almost identical, but stronger, much like the 4R100 is the E4OD's big brother... so I called Joe, my transmission tech, and asked him about it. He said he feels 90% confident that is a Sprag problem. He went into some detail about it, but I was at work while on the phone and can't recall enough of his description to relay it.

Other than those three things, everything else is beautiful. I have to bypass the factory ford/Dolby Digital amplifier, as it's toasted, the passenger rear window seems to have a track problem, but this is common for town cars and seems be a lubrication issue 90% of the time. Window doesn't want to go up or down, and I was told by the orig owner that if it goes down, you can't it back up again with the button.....

A/C works, Cruise works, Tilt, power windows and locks, fully electric seats, and a beautiful blue velor interior. Over all, I'm rather pleased for a $600 investment.

Now you all know me, I'm always open to criticism, any help diagnosing my issues is always appreciated. :beer

Now.... on with the pics?

The worst of the pealing paint....

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about a Matte black paint job with old school rat rod pin strips, chrome baby moons, and white walls...... Not sure about functional "lakes" pipes though... I kind of like how quiet it is.

I like the paint, but not the ghetto rims, I'd also like to keep the chrome trim around the car.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
my friend had one of those. The weather stripping around the windshield came off a little and went unnoticed until the first big rain storm. The cab smelled so bad of mildew.:barf

I'm all for pimping it out. if your going to paint it. I suggest flames.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
congrats on the new towncar.... 92's have whats known as the "bastard block" because its a 4.6 with an AODE instead of a 4R70W, as you already know

check out www.adtr.net, he's a vendor of crownvic.net and a real nice guy, i bought a set of control arms off of him for my marauder and they are fantastic.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
My parents had one just like it,same color even.GREAT road trip machine.Like a living room on wheels.I've heard though if the air suspension ever comes undone it's a major PITA,but the usual culprit is a proportioning/load levelling valve.
Right after they got it,Dad and I were sitting out on the deck admiring it.An oak leaf came floating down and landed on the hood.The instant it touched down,the air pump kicked in for a couple seconds.The old man looked at me and said,"Sensitive,ain't it ?". I miss him.

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The air bags are new within the last 5 years, thank god.... Mary Ann had them replaced when the speed bumps were put into the neighborhood. They work like a charm. If they should ever fail, I'll be going with a spring/shock assembly swap.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
The air bags are new within the last 5 years, thank god.... Mary Ann had them replaced when the speed bumps were put into the neighborhood. They work like a charm. If they should ever fail, I'll be going with a spring/shock assembly swap.
its only rear airbags.... at least im 99% sure? lol I know my car is

Also, theirs a way to control them manually (with a switch) if you want to.... You can also adjust how high or low it is with the ride height sensor.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Not a bad deal for 600, nice score :thumbup

You gonna try an make it a milage mister like sixlitre?

Neat car though, makes me think about pulling out my 87 t-bird and fixing it up.

KC

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's going to be a full time driver once I work out all the kinks in it. The bronco will finally be retired to occasional use and off roading.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,518 Posts
The only criticism I have is that you have it and I don't.:banghead

I'm trying to get one for my brother's and my trip back east this fall, and I've found a few with trans issues, but my main problem is lack of money. So here I am, just about tearing my hair out because I can't secure one right now so it'll be ready for October.:banghead

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll be doing some work to her on saturday, cleaning and trying to trouble shoot the front end problems.

Since it's payday, and buying parts for my car gets me thinking about all the other parts I need, I thought I'd add a fan cooled trans cooler, remote filter, and digital trans temp gauge & a digital tach. Maybe do one of those a pillar things? I'm really not so keen on the A pillar bit, but I don't want to mount gauges on top or under the dash.

I'd like to stay with the blue/greenish dash color, simply so that everything would be similar, but I'm really wanting a 300° temp gauge and most of the LED/LCD digital gauges are red....

Any ideas?

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
i have an autometer dual gauge pod for my car i never used and never will use... I'm not positive if it'd fit in the pre redesigned interior though..... not sure how different the aero and whale body A pillars are....

if your interested post up a pic of your A pillar and i'll compare it to mine.... its brand new in box, the box is pretty beat up but the pod is in new shape, never been mounted....

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll snap a pic tomorrow morning and get it posted when I get off work at 4 ish.

A/C works amazingly.

And yeah, deffinitely planning on the flat/satin/matte black paint. Probably going to build a 2x4 booth with plastic walls and spray it myself.

I hear that the 4R70W's are superior transmissions and the AODE is no slouch either. I'm hoping I can seriously increase the car's life with the filter and cooler. I'd really like to bypass the built in radiator cooling system for the trans, is that possible without having issues?

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
i don't see why it would be a problem, and plenty of people have added their own coolers.....

are you on crownvic.net yet? the members are getting worse but the old school tech info is still there and really good....

Edit: Just for reference, here is my A pillar

And i found a pic of the box

·
Registered
670 Posts
everybody does steelies, please be more original and pick a cool rim choice :doh0715:
most of the towncars i see are sitting up in the air with 24's on them, some 17 inch steelies and dog dish center caps would fit in with the old 60's era continentals.

you could TRY to go VIP but most american cars end up looking ghetto when you go that route.

VIP:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts