Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost like the to be...or not to be question.

Would it be worth paying the $250 for a brand spankin new carb out of the box?

Or

Paying $100-150 for a carb that you might have to rebuild?

I say this only because I no nothing about carbs, not saying I wouldn't mind learning, and that I am interested in what I've read about the Holley 600, so i'll be shooting for that.

Any helpful comments would be appreciated! :thumbup

·
Low Buck Bum
3,543 Posts
How about roughly $40 for a rebuild kit for what you already have? That's my favorite!~well, until I drove a fool injected, now I don't know squat about carbs and I don't care.:thumbup

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just bought a new Holly 600 from the local Auto Parts. I have rebuilt many of them. Just something about opening the box putting it on & 1 pump & poof she is like new. Slapped it on the Motor home & runs like new. A guy walked off with the original carb, so had no core to rebuild.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have rebuilt edelbrocks and have had no real issues so far. Holleys on the other hand i find a little more detailed.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Depends on how sloppy the throttle shafts are. That's usually the only wear item. Other than that it's just a matter of cleaning.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well lets just say for the sake of saying....that i know absolutely dick squat about carbs and if you show me two polished carbs and one was bad and the other wasn't i wouldn't be able to tell you which side was front or the rear. haha

I believe i have the 390 on it now. totally stock. I've been reading alot on the results...i'm willing to give it a try. **thanks to abandoned bronco**

Also in order for me to pass inspection, my exhaust hangers gotta get replaced and i figured while i'm down there near the manifold might as well treat myself and the bronco :D

·
Low Buck Bum
3,543 Posts
390? As in a two barrel carb?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
390? As in a two barrel carb?
i'm assuming it was the 1bbl. maybe it isn't the 390 at all.

Whatever was pushed from the factory...that's what I have.

I know that I need new intake manifold with the new holley 600,

I just wanted to see if it was worth trying to rebuild it or spend the extra $$ to have it ready to roll

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
gotcha...you are correct then, salt. 300 I6 did come with the tiny 1 barrel. i don't think you want to go up to a 600cfm carb, iirc that will be a bit big. i want to say the 4 barrel best sized for that motor is in-fact a 390cfm but will require a 4 barrel intake swapped on. if you haven't seen this thread http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144707, i recommend you read it as it covers in detail modifying the 300 I6. when i was shopping for a bko, i was considering getting one with the 6cyl and was looking at swapping on an Offy intake and 4 barrel. check out craigslist, they are not uncommon and are a heck of a lot cheaper that way.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the only way you have a 1 barrel is if you have an inline 6cyl. if you have a v8 then it is a 2 or 4 barrel. what motor do you have?

remove your air cleaner and take a pic of the carb, we can probably help id it, at least tell you if it is 2 or 4 barrel
yea it's a 300 inline 6

He has a I6 and I think it is a 1 barrel
winner winner chicken dinner
gotcha...you are correct then, salt. 300 I6 did come with the tiny 1 barrel. i don't think you want to go up to a 600cfm carb, iirc that will be a bit big. i want to say the 4 barrel best sized for that motor is in-fact a 390cfm but will require a 4 barrel intake swapped on. if you haven't seen this thread http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144707, i recommend you read it as it covers in detail modifying the 300 I6. when i was shopping for a bko, i was considering getting one with the 6cyl and was looking at swapping on an Offy intake and 4 barrel. check out craigslist, they are not uncommon and are a heck of a lot cheaper that way.
yea, i've read up on that thread. He has another thread on ford truck enthusiest forum comparing the 390 to the 600 and he likes the 600 better. I mean either or...i just want better gas mileage than the single digits :haha

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
yea, i've read up on that thread. He has another thread on ford truck enthusiest forum comparing the 390 to the 600 and he likes the 600 better. I mean either or...i just want better gas mileage than the single digits :haha
i have not read that thread....what does he like about the 600? better power i'm certain...did he mention his mpg change/diff?

Then you need to take those 38s off there!
that or swap in a diesel!! the 7.3idi in my f250 regularly got 17mpg, so if it stays the same in my bko that is a 70% increase in mileage! you can always just throw in a 4bt like fritts, he was getting about 30mpg with 36s! (of course there is a slight initial investment involved)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts