Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Zombie Hunter
13,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With having so much time on my hands lately i have put a lot of thought into a change of career paths.

I currently hold an associates degree in Law Enforcement, but really have no desire to be an officer. No offense to the cops on the board, but unfortunately the way things are going in this part of Ohio, cops are the first to be laid off, which in my opinion is highly unfortunate, it's finally starting to show in Cleveland what a fully manned police force can do to a city.

I was thinking about going to school to obtain a degree to become an EMT/Firfighter, the local community college offers EMT Training and a course called Fire Techology.

I have some time to think about it as seeing i won't be going back to work for what looks like another 8-10 weeks.

I have always worked with my hands, wrenched in some type of manner. The majority of my resume is blue collar. I started out my blue collar life by working on chair lifts and snow making machines at a local ski resort. I then moved onto a Wave Pool at a local Waterpark. After that it was plastic injection molders, where i learned the majority of my electronics. Worked in a fab shop for a while, did some Environmental Testing for a while. For the last 5 or so years it has been maintenance and engineering to a point.

I was looking into the military, but with the recruiters around here, they really don't understand what i am looking to get out of military enlistment, and most of them want me to sign up for the long term, i am not really interested in that.

I am looking for a change, and want to do something else with my life. The only thing that worries me is that i am 31, so the EMT/Firefighter thing would put me at a disadvantage when i am going for a job and am up against someone ten years younger.

Like i said, i am just looking for some suggestions about what to do. I want a change and would like to hear what you guys do for a living, please feel free to post up your opinion, i am interested in hearing it.

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
I am a software engineer. it pays pretty well, but is stagnating somewhat cause there are so many hb visas being issued to indians so companies can save money. they are basically like scabs. but, it is not a bad job by any stretch.

·
Banned
6,930 Posts
How about finding a small start-up shop where you can wrench and work your way into maybe a part ownership.....just a thought

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
hey bro i feel your angst.
i am 32 and looking for a change too. i have been a professional chef for the last ten years and am finding it harder and harder to find good jobs and mostly lasting jobs for various reasons, least of which is the illegal alien issue., there are fewer and fewer businesses that are willing to hire folks with culinary degrees and experience. they would rather hire transient workers becasue they dont have to pay them. its quite frustrating in my industry right now too.
being a fsb'er and addicted to the site, i am looking into going back to school and becoming an auto tech. i am also very very concerned that being older, and right out of school i will be competing with kids right out of hs and tech programs with all kinds of certs ans such, but i have to do something too.
i will be following this thread closely to hear from others and get their feedback on the plight of the bluecollar.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Rob just become a hooker. You already put out when you are drunk minus well get paid for it.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
marv said:
How about finding a small start-up shop where you can wrench and work your way into maybe a part ownership.....just a thought
Got to remember Marv. i live towards a large city, most of the start up businesses around here fail within the first year. And there aren't a whole lot of unique business ventures around here, almost everything has been thought of.

imlikeojnow said:
Rob just become a hooker. You already put out when you are drunk minus well get paid for it.
My plan is to make more that -$6.00 a year.

Please keep posting, i am leaning going back to school for the EMT/Firefighter thing, but would like to hear from some EMT's and or Firefighters prior to doing this.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
can you be a firefighter with a bum shoulder? if that is what you want to do then go for it.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Geezus buddy, your resume could be mine. :shocked

I also started off with a 2-year law enforcement diploma, intending to enter the military police. At the time (93), there was a drawn-out wage freeze in Canada, and the military was a very low paying dead end job. Things are much different today.

After graduation, I decided to come out west to blow a winter at a Ski Resort while I decided where to go. I was promoted in the safety services department within 6 months, and the place kind of stuck on me.

I have held a few jobs with this company, and served for over 10 years on the local VFD. Today I am the Chief, and Safety Services Manager, responsible for all the emergency services for the village.

As for your desire to become a FF/EMT, 31 IS YOUNG!

Many depts are hiring up to 40 or even later if you have a little experience. The Fire Service is no longer a strong back job, and they are looking for mature and intelligent folks who are capable of learning at an advanced level. The fire service is very technologically oriented today, and trucks and equipment become more electronic and computerized every day.

If you really want to follow that career, and you have nothing else holding you back (i.e. criminal record, poor fitness, medical problems, etc.) don't be afraid. Find out what certs are required in your area, and get started. You could be fully certified as a FF/Paramedic in barely two-years, and at 33 you will still be in the prime hiring category for many departments.

Just beware though, as Fire Jobs are hard to get. It can take several years to master the testing and interview process before you get the job. But if you want it bad enough, you'll get it.

Good luck with whatever you choose. :beer

·
Zombie Hunter
13,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imlikeojnow said:
can you be a firefighter with a bum shoulder? if that is what you want to do then go for it.
Supposedly once i go through PT (physical therapy) i will be damn close to 100%, there is a chance i may lose a couple degrees of rotation.

I'd just like to hear from some firefighters/EMT's about their experience, if they are happy with the job, what they are getting out of it.

I guess what it comes down to is i am sick of having a job that i no longer get any pride or happiness out of. Wrenching at one point of my life was somethign to be proud of, especially at the ski resort. I was one of two people at the resort that they trusted to do it. Now it just seems like anyone can do what i do.

I want a job i am happy with, and i have heard that usually they won't even consider you as a firefighter unless you have some EMT experience.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Hey Rob, my cousing is a firfighter in houston, well was. He said he loved it. Wished he could still do it. but he lost his vision in his left eye in a welding incedent. Well good luck man and make the best out of every situation you are in.

·
ex N00b
137 Posts
I am 43 and doing a career change. Mine is a transition from IT into Nursing. Initially I was concerned about being 43 (45 when graduating), but believe it or not, I have already had job offers! The reasoning is that I am a "life-experienced male going into a female dominated field". The life-experienced part is the biggest positive they are telling me because I am mature (boy, got them fooled!) and am serious about the commitment. The "kids right out of school" still don't know what the heck they want to do.

31 IS young for a career change! Go with it bro! If you are physically capable of becoming an EMT/Fire-Tech, do it. It sounds like you really want to go that route anyway. Just don't let age be a negative.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BroncoDave said:
I am 43 and doing a career change. Mine is a transition from IT into Nursing. Initially I was concerned about being 43 (45 when graduating), but believe it or not, I have already had job offers! The reasoning is that I am a "life-experienced male going into a female dominated field". The life-experienced part is the biggest positive they are telling me because I am mature (boy, got them fooled!) and am serious about the commitment. The "kids right out of school" still don't know what the heck they want to do.

31 IS young for a career change! Go with it bro! If you are physically capable of becoming an EMT/Fire-Tech, do it. It sounds like you really want to go that route anyway. Just don't let age be a negative.
I thought IT was the up and coming field to be in, just out of curiousity, why the change in careers?

·
ex N00b
137 Posts
Bronco Rob said:
I thought IT was the up and coming field to be in, just out of curiousity, why the change in careers?

A little thing called burn-out and boredom!

Being in Florida, you know we are challenged with certain weather anomalies... One role I had was business/disaster recovery coordinator. That can burn you fast.
The most "fun" role I had was infrastructure tech, basically I would either design from scratch or re-design a company's technology. The problem was that I continually worked myself out of a job! I would bring in top of the line systems and automate everything, then I would get bored and move on to the next project. With the dot-com bust, I was impacted by businesses going under, then 911 happened and the various travel industry clients shut-down expenditures because folks stopped travelling. All in all, my specific niche is getting tougher to find work for, and I am not interested in becoming a programmer. I am now a system operator and my main duty is to complete my homework and studies!
boring as heck, but it's a paycheck

and, yes... certain IT roles are still hot, but many are being off-shored too.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Hey rob think of all the chics you can get as a firefighter

·
Zombie Hunter
13,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imlikeojnow said:
Hey rob think of all the chics you can get as a firefighter

HA!HA!

I am done with women for a while, the last one really did a number to me, still suffereing some effects from it.....she is missed.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
if you plan right you can start a business and succed, 80% of business fail within the first year when THEY DO NOT go through supported classes or look into professional help when starting a business plan.

but if you take those classes or get professional help 80% succed with there business and make money.

im in those classes, its all in how you present, advertise, and offer goods/services that people want/need

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Bronco Rob said:
HA!HA!

I am done with women for a while, the last one really did a number to me, still suffereing some effects from it.....she is missed.

yeah but as a fireman if they dont leave you can squirt them with your hose. hahaha there is a sig line for you

1 - 20 of 38 Posts