Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I got tired of the original "Bucket" that compromised the center console on my '89. It really did nothing for me but hold drinks and be a black hole for all the stuff that I stored in it. I decided that it would've much better to go ahead and make a new one that formed more of a console below the radio.
I removed the offending console and used cardboard to shape the sides of the new one I was going to build. Integrated into this shorter console, I have added a panel of switches (3), 12 volt outlets (2), and inline fuses for the switches and outlets (the old glass fuses that are spring loaded and accessible from the front).
My small Cobra CB was put in to eliminate the visible wiring behind it as well as the mounting hardware. I used 2 old stainless steel Sierra Cups to make the cup holder inserts.
The sides were covered with camel covered vinyl and a black plastic front to keep a more finished look that matched the interior. The fit is very tight and looks clean. All in all I am happy with it.
I know the next comment that is going to come..... where are the pics!! Right at the moment, I am not able to get them. Hopefully I will get some pics in tomorrow night and will post them. I also saved the templates for the side pieces, if anyone is interested in using them to build a similar set up. I can take a pic of them as well with a ruler.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I would like to see the finished project and the templates as well, sounds like a nice job.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are the Pics

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa424/commtechva/console/

All of this cost me $18
Materials:

1/4" plywood scrap i had available at home
3/4" aluminum angle (about 8' or so) again scrap I already had
1/2" steel C channel from floor project again .... scrap
3 toggle switches salvage from assorted broken items
2 12v power outlets salvage from portable 12v jump battery
3 fuze panels in home shop supplies I had
2 Sierra Cups old unused camping supplies
sheet of black plastic $8 bought black Tote and used the flat top portion
pop rivets in home shop supplies
CB already in truck
1/2 yard of marine grade vinyl $10 Fabric store

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good job it is very clean looking. I like the way it looks like it belongs there.

·
umm...idk
359 Posts
wow that looks really good, you have about the same idea I have, I need a small up front console since my dog loves to sit in the middle of the seats when he is in it. My stock console has been out for a while for my dog, would be nice to have something like that.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
copy and paste the img link code in your post modit, That way the pics show up. No one wants to click a link.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Why not put the trailer brake module in there too?? :shrug

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
copy and paste the img link code in your post modit, That way the pics show up. No one wants to click a link.
Thanks, I was not aware I could get the links to show on the site. I thought I had to be a paying member to post pics. My Bad......

777Bigmac777 said:
wow that looks really good, you have about the same idea I have, I need a small up front console since my dog loves to sit in the middle of the seats when he is in it. My stock console has been out for a while for my dog, would be nice to have something like that.
Mine likes this as well. She likes to go from the front to the back while driving and this makes it a lot easier and safer

WasACop3436 said:
Why not put the trailer brake module in there too??
I thought about it, but felt it was better to have the controller at the dash, closer to main controls of truck if I needed to use the brake slide on it. If I put it on console I would be reaching to the center of the truck to use it.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
really good job. But what did you do with the other center console???
Thanks, I took the "bucket" between the seats out. It was just too large for a car storage area, everything ended up in the black hole. They really should have made that into a more compartmentalized console so everything did not end up getting all mixed together.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts