Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any1 have or had the new F150.

Looking at 2006 F150 crewcab 4X4. Got the 5.4, will pull 8600 (I think). Looks to get okay mileage too.

What everyones thoughts on this truck??

I was looking at the chevy 1500 4X4 also, that has the 5.3 and pulls 8100 (I think).

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I had one as a loner from Ford for a few days and I was impressed with it. The interior of the truck was great. Super comfy and it just had a nice feel to everything. In the couple days I had it that was the thing I liked about it the most. It had a 5.4Liter V8 which was supposed to have 300 horsepower, but it felt more like 250. A Nissan Titan I drove before that for a week was rated at 305 HP and every one of those horses was there under the hood. Didn't seem that way with the Ford though.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really, I just drove it around the block so I didnt really get to test her out.

It felt rather peppy though. It felt a little bit better than the 310 chevy said was in the 1500 I test drove.

Im trading in my 03 GT for a new DD and a nice crewcab (for the kids) and 4X4 should fit my needs just fine.:thumbup Was there anything you didn't like?

My wife has a 02 F150 but its only got the V6. I can't pull the BKO with that.haha

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
might want to look at 3/4ton-1ton if you want a towrig, the longer the wheelbase/stiffer suspension the easier it'll tow

·
Registered
925 Posts
my dad has I think an 04 chevy 1500 and I hate the seats in that truck. for some reason my legs will go numb after about 30 minutes of driving it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JoeBob1901 said:
might want to look at 3/4ton-1ton if you want a towrig, the longer the wheelbase/stiffer suspension the easier it'll tow

The F150 CrewCab 4X4's are going for $34,500 before discounts. I don't think I can swing a 3/4 ton payment. But I'd LOVE one of those.

I had a 94 F250 460BB and I loved towing with that. But 7 MPG towing or not really sucked.haha

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
djlarryp said:
my dad has I think an 04 chevy 1500 and I hate the seats in that truck. for some reason my legs will go numb after about 30 minutes of driving it.
That would suck, payin that kind of cash only to find out the seats suck. I wouldn't be happy about that.:cry Thanks for the heads up on that.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
adrianspeeder said:
That big towing number is a longbed reg cab 4x2 I believe. How big are you towing?

Adrianspeeder
They said it would pull little over 8500# I think he said 8600#. I would want to pull my BKO, weighed in at 5400# plus a trailer (what ever they weigh) plus gear. that would be the most I ever tow though. Normally I just pull the quads and a small trailer with either my wifes truck on my BKO

I'll check again to see what it will tow, maybe they were mistaken.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have an 04 F-150 FX4 supercab on 35's mine has the 5.4 and i have exaust, its got plenty of power for towing.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Broncoman351 said:
I have an 04 F-150 FX4 supercab on 35's mine has the 5.4 and i have exaust, its got plenty of power for towing.
Did you put a lift on or leveling kit to fit the 35's??

·
Registered
81 Posts
We have a 2005 F150 Supercrew FX4, it has the 5.4 w/3.73 gears.
I have put the leveling kit, exhaust, air intake and upsized BFG A/Ts. The power is ok, not that great, but what you would expect from a truck that big without a diesel.
I have pulled an 18' steel deck trailer loaded with 5 4-wheelers, same trailer with the Bronco and a 34' avion travel trailer. It does the job, just make sure you have an electric brake controller.
And don't plan on hanging with a diesel going up hill.
We average 15-17 with me driving, 17-18 with my wife, and about 10-11 towing.
But overall we love the truck, love the interior and would only trade up to a F-250 or 350. There is no way I would take a Dodge or Chevy over my F150.
I would like to add some power, a better sound system, and sooner than later a set of airbags for the rear. Since it now sits level unloaded, when a trailer is on it the rear squats.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
BroncoD said:
That would suck, payin that kind of cash only to find out the seats suck. I wouldn't be happy about that.:cry Thanks for the heads up on that.
Dont take his word for it. Try it yourself. The comfort of the seats is one of those things one guy might love, and the next guy might hate

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BrokeCuzWheelin said:
The hitches on 04-up F-150s are rated for 9900lbs with weight dist. You can also get a crew cab with a really short bed, short bed, or long bed now.
I think it's a 5ft box

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
do you HAVE to get a new, or close to new one? you can find plenty of 250's or 350's with the PSD for 33-39K down here in florida. they might be more in cali, but just something to think about. best part about the diesel is it's barely working hard when towing my rig, and after 120K miles its just now starting to get happy

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jrdbronco said:
do you HAVE to get a new, or close to new one? you can find plenty of 250's or 350's with the PSD for 33-39K down here in florida. they might be more in cali, but just something to think about. best part about the diesel is it's barely working hard when towing my rig, and after 120K miles its just now starting to get happy

Im trading in a 03 Mustang GT. So I kinda like the rebates to help with the neg. on my car. I can get on 03 F250 diesel 67,000 miles but the payment would be 80 bucks more and it's almost 4 years old. And $2500 down.:cry

Ive been waiting for a 01 F250 but there hard to come by at the dealers. Again, I'm a little neg on my car so selling out right isn't easily done.

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
I've been in both a f-150 and a titan. (Friends trucks.) The titan wooped the f-150's butt as far as power. I liked the interior more in the f-150. F-150 then added a factory supercharger for I think he said 5 grand, and now the f-150 is pretty spunky.

·
Dead Horse
5,931 Posts
ive driven a 2003 f-150 with the 4.6 and a chevy 1500 (not sure which motor). i have trouble driving the f-150, the tires are tiny, and the gas pedal is soooo soft, and the broncos is hard to push, so i have problems spinning them on take off. ive road in the new f-150s, i like the interior layout. the chevy i drove was alright, i just dont like the feel of the truck, something about the steering wheels positioning. there both good trucks, all depends on what you prefer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts