Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I stopped by mechanics to look at the donor engine. He now had the oil pan off and we started looking at the crank. The bearings were toast, some scratches on the crank, a few deep. The cam had a worn spot on one of the lobes and the lifter for that cylinder was worn. We discussed continuing the rebuild or replacing with an engine from Jaspers.:chili:

I have searched:thumbup

From what I found on here there have been several problems with Jaspers, but they back up their product 3yrs/100,000 miles. I found that when a problem arises, they take care of the customer.:rockon

The engine is a 351w with the RV cam.:chili:
pics coming soon

·
Registered
162 Posts
cj, beware of one thing: Jasper actually has pretty good customer service and a very decent normal duty long block for the money when all is going well--but what they don't have is anyone there with a clear view of what our Broncos need or the nuts to stand up and sort it out when it all goes to hell. I fell for that +10% cam issue back in '03 and it took me months to sort it out, basically by reading everything I could on this board.

Broncos with SPEED DENSITY COMPUTERS (87-93 and some 94 5.0 motors and 87-95* 351 motors) DO NOT LIKE CAMS with lobe seperation lower than 114 degress or heavy lift. The jasper engine with the upgraded "tow/performance" cam has a 112 degree lobe seperation and you are asking for more headaches if you blindly jump in without being knowledgeable.

Do yourself a favor and read every article on this forum applicable until you understand everything about speed density versus mass air, LS degrees, cam lift and etc. There are also some excellent gurus and mods on here with very good write-ups but they've answered the same questions so many times, they get a might edgy at times. Good luck.--Buzz

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
:stupid

He's dead on... Jaspers aren't bad motors, just make sure that the RV cam they pick out has a LSA of 114 degrees.

The "How to pick CAMSHAFT" thread by Fireguy50 in the tech writeups area has a list of good cams to use, maybe they can substitute their cam for one of them.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have put a call into Jasper Engines, to get more specifics on the RV cam. In the meantime I will continue reading, and learning:shocked

I don't currently have any info about this cam, does any one already have this info and want to share:thumbup

My Bronco will be dd, with some offroad use but I pu$$y it on the trails. I am looking to upgrade my exhaust, either when engine is installed or shortly afterwards. Not looking to get new heads(gt40) untill I get lift and gears installed:drinkbud

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Have you considered any of the other reman engine suppliers that ship nation wide?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, the shop doing swap has a relationship with Jasper, can get engine and accessory kit with no money out of pocket.

Sales rep called 7 something in the morning:banghead. Left a message stating the cam was 206/221 and 445/453. No info about the LSA, I called back twice and just heard back. The lsa is 115. :beer

This is good ?

I have scoured their website for info on horsepower etc but found minimal info. I asked the rep if he had anything he could send me but he didn't.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Any LSA of 114 degrees or greater is fine, just can't go below it.

Honestly, if they can't at a minimum provide a dyno sheet of their engines, I'd seriously consider looking somewhere else. I find it hard to believe... a company as big as Jasper doesn't have specific information on their motors? That's crazy.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No I need to come up with about 1300 more to complete the project. I have my own business and it was slow Jan/Feb, March has shaped up as a good month and I am getting ready to buy a Moving Truck for my business.

·
Registered
71 Posts
CJ, I'm in Wenatchee and recently took a trip to US Engines in Kent. Met the owner and he seems to be a genuine guy. He likes Broncos and seems very knowlegable about his trade. If I were you I would consider at least making the trip to Kent to talk with this guy.

I'm originally from Edmonds and visit frequently. Specifically down at Arnies at the Port of Edmonds.

Good luck, Dikthod

·
Registered
302 Posts
This is a very interesting thread! I am in the market for a new motor and after looking for a quote from jasper, a 5.0 would be 2100. I don't know if I have the bones to cover the expense, but was looking for inouts on Jasper engines.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well I personally have a 93 ford bronco with a 5.0

On another topic (but similar) what do you guys think about central coast mustangs?

·
Registered
262 Posts
This might not quite apply but.

I was always under the impression that a good, used low mileage, well maintained motor was better than a reman.

I personally haven't had much luck with Jasper motors, actually i used to be an installer for them but after 3 of their mod motors blew up (fleet use) i gave up. I mean these 5.4's from the factory were getting 300K, none of the Jaspers made it past 100K.
With that in mind when i put a new motor in my 89 f250 i priced a reman from Jasper, Ford, and ATK engines. I happen to stumble across a 97 f350 cab chassis with 43K on it, with records at a salvage yard that i deal with through the shop. 800 dollars later i had a perfect 351 in the trunk of my crown vic.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
I personally haven't had much luck with Jasper motors, actually i used to be an installer for them but after 3 of their mod motors blew up (fleet use) i gave up. I mean these 5.4's from the factory were getting 300K, none of the Jaspers made it past 100K.
you realize that 100k is the avg. life expectancy of a rebuilt motor, right?(if that)
i'm with you on the junkyard motor though......they are built better from the factory!:thumbup

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
I will tell you from my experience in looking for a long block. the guys at jasper didnt know there ass from a hole in the ground when it came to outfitting trucks. that is why i got mine from precision engines in houston. they shipped it to me the way i wanted it, and i talked to them extensively about the cam and even threw out one that i knew didnt and wouldnt work for my motor, and the builder told me it wouldnt work, a plus customer service. even when they sent the f-ed up oil pump with it i bought a new one and they sent me a check for the price of the new one plus some cash to cover the install. i liked them alot

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
you realize that 100k is the avg. life expectancy of a rebuilt motor, right?(if that)
i'm with you on the junkyard motor though......they are built better from the factory!:thumbup
and you get your info from where? if they are built with shit parts, it aint going to last long.

·
Registered
302 Posts
woah woah woah.... you put a motor in the crown vic??? in the trunk??? That is amazing. It didn't sag or scrape?

This might not quite apply but.

I was always under the impression that a good, used low mileage, well maintained motor was better than a reman.

With that in mind when i put a new motor in my 89 f250 i priced a reman from Jasper, Ford, and ATK engines. I happen to stumble across a 97 f350 cab chassis with 43K on it, with records at a salvage yard that i deal with through the shop. 800 dollars later i had a perfect 351 in the trunk of my crown vic.

·
Registered
302 Posts
There's someone selling a 5.0 engine with E-303 cam and GT-40P heads mullen oil pump long block with less than 20000 miles. He said he got the motor from Central Coast Mustangs. What does everybody think about this?????

·
Registered
262 Posts
woah woah woah.... you put a motor in the crown vic??? in the trunk??? That is amazing. It didn't sag or scrape?
Hell no.
I had a spare engine for the Porsche in the trunk of the Vic with the trailer on the back. So about 500lb in the trunk plus whatever tongue weight was from the trailer.

Supercharged 5.4L V8 took the nitrous out when i did the motor swap. Then reinstalled the nitrous with a 50hp shot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts