Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the next few months I plan on either rebuilding my 302 almost completely or dropping in a new crate motor so that I can pass this car along to my almost(gulp) 16 yr old son....Is there any list available where I can start picking up items along the way to ease the burden on my wallet at D-day? What are ya'lls suggestions? I currently use it as a DD with the sixlitre tune-up. I would like to upgrade the exhaust as well when we get into this deep enough...Thanks for the help and/or suggestions..

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
If you are going to let your son have the vehicle don't do any mods like the exhaust system, He will want to do all that cool stuff. You will want to use anti-seize on the water pump bolts, Exhaust manifold bolts and intake manifold bolts to do him a favor..... and have the rotating assembly ballanced.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I rebuilt my 302 for about $2000 total. That includes converting to roller and getting a junkyard block since I blew a hole in my #4 cylinder wall going through 4ft of water on the trail.:duh

So if you have a good block and you're not interested in a roller conversion then you could get out for for about $1600. I got my 302 rebuild kit from flatlanderracing.com and I was pleased with the quality of everything except for a few of the gaskets they sent. I ended up getting a Felpro oil pan gasket instead of the crappy cork one they sent.

Hindsight, I probably could have done it for the same price getting a long block but I really enjoyed rebuilding the 302 and I'm glad I did it. It's something I've always wanted to do and it forced me to learn a lot about engines in the process.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I would look in the classifieds or Craigs list for cheap parts rather than buying a boxed rebuild kit. I put together a sweet 351W from the classifieds on hot rod forums. I wasnt so much looking to build a 500 HP winder, but , I wanted to use certain things for long engine life as well as a performance boost. I bought a fully balanced rotating assy for $700.00. It included .030 over weight matched SRP dish pistons, Eagle I-beam con rods, freshly turned and balanced crank , New Skat flex plate, Professional Products Balancer, ARP rocker studs, Girdles for the valve trane, complete Fel Pro gasket set, Edelbrock Victor Jr. intake manifold(which I sold and bought Edelbrock dual plane Performer) and a set of World products Windsor Sr. Heads. That was a deal IMO. If you look long and hard enough I bet there is a way better deal to be had.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts