Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got my new exhaust put on yesterday. My 351 is stock so I just went with 2 1/4 pipe from the manifolds all the way out with some 40 series flowmasters in the middle. Everytime I had been out messing in my truck with it running my wife complained that I smelled of gas fumes/exhaust when I came in the house. I knew the pipes had some leaks around the welds on the old glass packs but found out more when they pulled all the old crap out. The flange where it hooks on up at the left side manifold was rusted badly and the donut was only half there. They replaced all of it from the manifolds back for $340 and did a great job of getting everything lined up. I had them run full tail pipes but instead of bringing them out straight behind the wheel they tucked them up slightly higher and then just did a small down turn. It kinda hides them. I must say to....THE SOUND IS TOTALLY AWESOME!!! I'll try to get a pic up later today of how they did the tail pipes. THanks for all the help anyone had in previous threads that helped me make my decision on what to go with!

David

·
Registered
368 Posts
always good to get rid of those anoying leaks, but that price sounds high.
i got 3 inch from header collector all the way with flowmasters for $250.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: Cost

Yeah...It might be a little high. I checked around the area though...In Columbia where I work two shops were over $400. The cheapest I found was a place south of here about 30 miles. They were at $280...but I figured by the time I drove down and back I didn't see the savings. The guy I went to will charge $70 installed for one flowmaster. I think he made his money though on the pipe and the hangers. I will say though....he did an awesome job and I was out of there in an hour.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I just got my exhaust installed, too. I did it myself, though, with the kit from Summit. Its all mandrel bent 2 1/4" pipe. Just like you, my wife complained about the exhaust stink, so I had to ditch the probably 20 year old glass packs and throw in dual flowmasters. Mine sounds great. Did you get new headers? I got some doug thorley ones off ebay. They went in ok. They are kinda touching the end of the starter, so I'm going to have to beat the hell out of it with a bfh.

I've got to go to a muffler shop and get everything welded up because the collectors didn't line up that great with the pipes, so I've got a leak there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Headers

I know all about that exhaust smell! For now I just stuck with the stock exhaust manifolds. The motor is just a stock rebuild from autozone according to the guy I bought it from. I sure like the way it sounds though...very cool indeed!

·
Registered
22 Posts
new exhaust

yeah i just got new exhaust installed too. cost me $240 total with the $30 dollar cheapo glasspacks. it's only 2 1/4 but it sounds nice. i went with headers though, i had to replace the ones that were on it, they were cheapies from jegs that hit the frame rails. i tried a set from summit and they seem to work well, they were only $86. my tailpipes turn out behind the rear tire. i think i should have gone with atleast 2 1/2 inch pipe, the 2 1/4 seems to pop a little. anybody else try any big diameter exhaust. my tow rig has dual 4" mandrel bent(03 sd 6.0L).:rockon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts