Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother and I were sitting around at my house looking at the bronco and started talking about what i was wanting to do with it. After talking about it for a while we were bored so we decided to change it.

The main reason for this was it had some pretty ghetto exhaust work done to it

It came out of the cat at 3", then they welded 2 1/2" into the end of it, then farther down it eventually turns into 1 7/8"

With that, the truck had absolutely no power

We cut that off at the 3", and drove it to town to get some exhaust pipe and it felt like i gained 50 hp the way it took off!

After playing in O'Reilly's for a while this is what we came up with (the exhaust shop was closed)

Definitely an upgrade :thumbup

Comparison:

Here is what it looks like on the truck

Sounds MUCH better to, there is an exhaust leak because on the very last weld we ran out of wire (mig welder):banghead, so there is a half inch long gap that i have to weld up this week

I'll post up a video cause i have been searching for one on 4.9 exhaust setups and didn't find much

·
Registered
200 Posts
good job on taking matters into your own hands fabbing up something the way you wanted it to be. I'm personally not a big fan of exhaust that exits in front of the rear tire, but its your truck and to each their own I guess. Looks good. I'll be waiting for you to post up a video

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good job on taking matters into your own hands fabbing up something the way you wanted it to be. I'm personally not a big fan of exhaust that exits in front of the rear tire, but its your truck and to each their own I guess. Looks good. I'll be waiting for you to post up a video
Yeah, I'd only do it on a 300.. If i had a v8 I'd put duals out behind the tires... but its an inline! I'm trying to get the video on supermotors right now, but i think i'll just put it on youtube and be done with it

Plus it only cost me about $40 :rockon

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Shouldn't be too long before that is smashd under the right frame rail

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shouldn't be too long before that is smashd under the right frame rail
I don't do much off roadin' so hopefully I won't smash it too soon, but if my framerails do touch the ground i'm gonna have some more serious issues than the exhaust lol

It sounds deeper and less ricey in person

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Haven't been able to listen to it yet since I'm at work and YT is blocked. Did you still use a muffler or did you just run straight off the Converters? Just curious since Mine, right now, are still just the factory Converters and I really couldn't hear a difference between the way it was and the way it is now, except that I had a little more drone when driving down the road. I'll post pictures of my setup in a few weeks when I have the time to put everything together. I've got the muffler sitting under it on the hangers but had too much length to mate it up to the factory Converters at the time so I bought the rest of the system and I'm waiting for time to put it all in.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when I bought mine, the muffler was rusted out, so we just ripped it off and welded pipe in its place. Wasn't really much louder to be honest. You can see the section we welded in in that first picture.

I just have the factory y pipe, the factory dual in single out cat (mine only had one cat factory i'm assuming) then the pipe i had pictured, no muffler. I think it sounds a TON better than it did and it has a lot more noticable power. I don't think its too loud, but I also get a kick out of pissing off rice burners :rofl:

the plan is to buy a Walker Y pipe this summer and hollow out the cat because it is ancient and is most likely plugged up. Over here in Misouri all us hillbilly kids punch out the cattys in our trucks to make em louder AND legal lol

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
I pretty much now have a complete Walker Exhaust system. I just got in my Y-Pipe #45166, Walker 15042 Cat and Dynomax Turbo 17410 cat back exhaust system.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What part of MO you in?
I'm from Troy, about an hour northwest of St. Louis, But I'm now living in Linn where i'm going to school (Linn State Tech College)

Your setup sounds pretty good JohnMcD348, but sounds expensive for my income :toothless There isn't any jobs to be had in Linn

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Local shop here charged me $10 to weld the gap that i couldn't finish at home :thumbup Sounds a little better now and I don't get a headache from exhaust fumes anymore :toothless

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
So you got all the piping actually at oriellys?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So you got all the piping actually at oriellys?
LOL yeah, we just sat at the exhaust area and started sticking things together, i gave them my drivers license and they let us carry it out in the parking lot and test fit it. In the end we used 2 45 degree bends and two straight pieces of pipe

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
I'm from Troy, about an hour northwest of St. Louis, But I'm now living in Linn where i'm going to school (Linn State Tech College)

Your setup sounds pretty good JohnMcD348, but sounds expensive for my income :toothless There isn't any jobs to be had in Linn
I actually am doing it kinda on the cheap. I bought nearly everything when there were discount and rebates on most things.

The Cat Back exhaust had a $75 debit card offer from Walker.

The Converter had a $40 rebate.

The Y-pipe didn't have anything on it but everything I bought, I got through Advance Auto and I bought it online and used Discount codes so I got it even cheaper, plus I'm getting the rebates. Buy it a piece a the time when the money is there for that item.

YPipe: $77.99-$30(discount) $47.99+ free shipping

Converter: $112.99-$30 = $82.99, I missed a Magnaflow universal fit converter that was 20-30 cheaper or I would have gotten that one instead to save even more money. Plus 'll get $40 back in rebate so it'll be $42.99 Total.

Cat Back Exhaust System: $172.99-$50 = $131.60 , Plus I'll be getting a $75 debit card rebate so it'll end up costing $56 in the end.

All totaled, not including clamps and other items to put it all together, $148. Also bought a new Bosch O2 sensor for $37, bringing it up to 185. So, all things considered, it shouldn't cost me anymore than about $200 for a brand new system from the manifolds back.

I fully understand about the money thing. I've been planning, saving and shopping for bargains where ever I can find them. That's the only way I could have done it.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
LOL yeah, we just sat at the exhaust area and started sticking things together, i gave them my drivers license and they let us carry it out in the parking lot and test fit it. In the end we used 2 45 degree bends and two straight pieces of pipe
Dang. All the oriellys around here don't carry exhaust pieces unless you custom order... Maybe they put them all in the back though.... I think I'm going to straight pipe this weekend! Notice any more power/better mileage due to an unrestricted exhaust flow?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I actually am doing it kinda on the cheap. I bought nearly everything when there were discount and rebates on most things.

The Cat Back exhaust had a $75 debit card offer from Walker.

The Converter had a $40 rebate.

The Y-pipe didn't have anything on it but everything I bought, I got through Advance Auto and I bought it online and used Discount codes so I got it even cheaper, plus I'm getting the rebates. Buy it a piece a the time when the money is there for that item.

YPipe: $77.99-$30(discount) $47.99+ free shipping

Converter: $112.99-$30 = $82.99, I missed a Magnaflow universal fit converter that was 20-30 cheaper or I would have gotten that one instead to save even more money. Plus 'll get $40 back in rebate so it'll be $42.99 Total.

Cat Back Exhaust System: $172.99-$50 = $131.60 , Plus I'll be getting a $75 debit card rebate so it'll end up costing $56 in the end.

All totaled, not including clamps and other items to put it all together, $148. Also bought a new Bosch O2 sensor for $37, bringing it up to 185. So, all things considered, it shouldn't cost me anymore than about $200 for a brand new system from the manifolds back.

I fully understand about the money thing. I've been planning, saving and shopping for bargains where ever I can find them. That's the only way I could have done it.
Damn dude! that is el cheapo for full exhaust! :beer

RIDICULOUS power increase on mine since it was so restricted before. feels like i added 2 more cylinders! :rockon I was getting 16 mpg mixed before upgrade but i don't have enough $$$ to fill the tank all the way so i'm not shure if or how much it has increased. I am hoping for 18 mpg just so i can rub it in my "will that junker make it back and forth to college" mom's face who gets 18 in her minivan LOL

If your just straight piping it Jason idk if you will feel any more power but it will be louder and may have a diferent tone

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
well mine has an exhaust leak currently and im pretty sure a cloging cat since each put of the exhaust leak send a vibration through the truck :brownbag

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well mine has an exhaust leak currently and im pretty sure a cloging cat since each put of the exhaust leak send a vibration through the truck :brownbag
Well smash that cat then! :smash

I'm almost positive that mine is the original cat from 1987 so im either going to hollow it out or take it off depending on Missouri law. On my 93 f1shitty i took a torch and cut a hole in the side of it, smashed the insides of it, turned it on to blow everything out, then welded it up and put the heat shield back over it. sssshhhh.... the government will never know :haha

1 - 20 of 23 Posts