Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I've tried reviewing the exhaust threads but couldn't find much information on good setups for broncos in CA. My truck is pretty much stock right now and would like to get a complete exhaust system.

- I've tried to look at the different brands of headers on Summit but couldn't tell which ones are C.A.R.B. legal for my 5.8.

- The Bassani Y-pipes (both types) which are popular here are not Cali legal right?

- Cats that I've seen mentioned here are catco and the bassani one. any preference?

- Muffler: hooker aerochamber or flowmaster 40?

If there is another thread that covers this, please let me know since I couldn't find it for exhaust setups that mention that they would would work for CA's strict emissions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Get headers from JBA, I have had them on my 86 bronco with a 5.0 for years. Then get a 3" Cat and Moroso Spiral Flow Racing Mufflers 3". Then have a local muffler shop make a 3" run all the way to the back or side exit. I am here in San Diego and my bronco passed smog.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Hello All,

I've tried reviewing the exhaust threads but couldn't find much information on good setups for broncos in CA. My truck is pretty much stock right now and would like to get a complete exhaust system.

- I've tried to look at the different brands of headers on Summit but couldn't tell which ones are C.A.R.B. legal for my 5.8.

- The Bassani Y-pipes (both types) which are popular here are not Cali legal right?

- Cats that I've seen mentioned here are catco and the bassani one. any preference?

- Muffler: hooker aerochamber or flowmaster 40?

If there is another thread that covers this, please let me know since I couldn't find it for exhaust setups that mention that they would would work for CA's strict emissions.

Thanks.
Well im surprised you didnt stumble upon any of my postings. I just passed smog here a little bit ago and made a thread...

Anyways, the Bassani Y pipe is good here. To play it safe, i ordered the one without the cat and then ordered the 3" hi-flow Catco cat(search for link if you havent already) off of ebay.

I also have JBA headers and they pass. Not sure about the cheapo summit ones though. Get whatever headers youre most comfortable paying for though. There are many brands o choose from that i cant comment on, i can only comment on the JBAs cuz thats what i got and i LOVE them.

Flowmaster 40 is always a safe bet...you wont be dissapointed. There is also a muffler that people say is identical to it for way cheaper from summit though.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
For the most part there isn't gonna be much. They're both high dollar headers. But from what i know and have heard, JBAs give you the extra benefit of what long tubes would give you, but i dont know how much more that would be. From my experience there is AWESOME clearance for spark plugs/plugwires. From what ive heard, the Bassani's are equal length, which should help, but not that much. I cant give any input good or bad on the bassani headers though, but their Y-pipe has been fantastic.

Also, check AutoAnything.com for the JBAs if thats what youre lookin for, i got a very sweet price there. Wow just checked, for the stainless theyre only 330 with free shipping what a steal. I paid way more than that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Headers

Ya same here I paid almost $600 for the JBA headers on my 5.0 engine. I saw on JBA's website I could get the ones for my 5.8 engine for under $350, very cool.

As for the Bassani headers I have not heard anything bad or good about them. I did have hooker and headman headers and they booth cracked or leaked.

I have had the JBA's for 5 years of hard off-roading, Dunes and prerunning the Baja 500 and 1000. No Problem

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Id prefer the Bassani headers of JBA, just due to the fact that they are equal length. That means that exhaust from each cylinder will have to travel the same distance before it gets to the y-pipe, thus [hypothetically] creating better free flowing exhaust.

HOOKER AEROCHAMBER hands down. I have a Flowmaster 40 and I hate it. The hooker is supposed to be one of the better mufflers that you can get, better flow (sixlitre states 23% better than competition (ie: flowmaster)). Not to mention it sounds much better and gives little to no drone on the freeway.

Get the Bassani Y-pipe without Cat and throw on a Catco high flow cat, and you will pass CA smog no problem. If you wanted to, you could go with the y-pipe with the cat and still throw on the Catco high flow cat, just so it looks like you have 2 functioning cats (helps with CA visual inspection). You NEED the Catco high flow cat because it is CA smog legal and has a CARB #, whereas the Bassani does not. Just to let you know, the Bassani Y-pipe is the BEST y-pipe you can get for our 351w's.

You will want to go with a high flow because now-a-days they filter the same but are more free flowing. Thats the key to the exhaust game, free flowing exhaust... with enough back pressure of course.

Lastly, you will want to dump this out the passenger side with a 3" Mandrel bent pipe. Of course you do the dual effect, but a single 3" will give you the best performance and pretty good looks. There is a 3" MANDREL bent pipe floating around at autozone/kragens for up to $45 now, and all you have to do is make a hanger and cut off about 15" in the front of the pipe. Dont go to a exhaust shop asking for one because they will charge you major $$$ for mandrel bent piping and will give you a shitty crimped setup. Do the right thing and search for the pipe on here; there's ton of info on it.

And if you still want more details about it like you were asking me the other day, just shoot me a PM or hit me up on AIM.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Id prefer the Bassani headers of JBA, just due to the fact that they are equal length. That means that exhaust from each cylinder will have to travel the same distance before it gets to the y-pipe, thus [hypothetically] creating better free flowing exhaust.

HOOKER AEROCHAMBER hands down. I have a Flowmaster 40 and I hate it. The hooker is supposed to be one of the better mufflers that you can get, better flow (sixlitre states 23% better than competition (ie: flowmaster)). Not to mention it sounds much better and gives little to no drone on the freeway.

Get the Bassani Y-pipe without Cat and throw on a Catco high flow cat, and you will pass CA smog no problem. If you wanted to, you could go with the y-pipe with the cat and still throw on the Catco high flow cat, just so it looks like you have 2 functioning cats (helps with CA visual inspection). You NEED the Catco high flow cat because it is CA smog legal and has a CARB #, whereas the Bassani does not. Just to let you know, the Bassani Y-pipe is the BEST y-pipe you can get for our 351w's.

You will want to go with a high flow because now-a-days they filter the same but are more free flowing. Thats the key to the exhaust game, free flowing exhaust... with enough back pressure of course.

Lastly, you will want to dump this out the passenger side with a 3" Mandrel bent pipe. Of course you do the dual effect, but a single 3" will give you the best performance and pretty good looks. There is a 3" MANDREL bent pipe floating around at autozone/kragens for up to $45 now, and all you have to do is make a hanger and cut off about 15" in the front of the pipe. Dont go to a exhaust shop asking for one because they will charge you major $$$ for mandrel bent piping and will give you a shitty crimped setup. Do the right thing and search for the pipe on here; there's ton of info on it.

And if you still want more details about it like you were asking me the other day, just shoot me a PM or hit me up on AIM.
I just got the 3" mandrel pipe from autozone, 29.99 plus tax, had to special order it but got it in 2 days!
P/N for autozone is #M30001

·
Registered
128 Posts
+1 for the racing Y-pipe with a 50-state legal cat welded on.

I went with the Bassani headers because they were equal-length, didn't hear reports of header gasket sealing problems, and most of all; ease of installation. I knew they were a guaranteed direct instant fit with the Bassani Y-pipe.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Well, thats if he wants the tailpipe. Turndowns are even cheaper, out of the way, and sound cool.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the help guys. So it looks like the following right now and let me know if I have wrong parts and/or part numbers or if you've seen cheaper prices elsewhere.

Bassani Headers - 58150B (might hold off and buy later)
$370.50 with free shipping - Rolling Start Auto Parts

Bassani Stainless Steel Y-Pipe without cat - 58150B2 - ORDERED
$261.25 with free shipping - Rolling Start Auto Parts

Catco High Flow Catalytic Converter - ORDERED
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=8072385309&rd=1
$35.33 + $14.67 shipping = $50.00

Hooker Aerochamber - 21506HKR ORDERED
$64.40 with free shipping - Amazon

Maremont Mandrel Pipe - M30001 (called Autozone and they said its a Vortex tailpipe?) ORDERED
$29.99 + $2.47 tax = $32.46

Summit Stainless Steel U-bolt Clamps - SUM-G4730
(4 x $8.95) + $9.75 handling charge = $45.55

Totals
$370.50 - SS Headers
$261.25 - Y Pipe w/o Cat
$50.00 - cat converter
$64.40 - muffler
$32.46 - pipe
$45.55 - u-bolt clamps (4)
------------------
$824.16

Am I missing anything else in terms of parts?

Also, since some of you are local, any shops that you recommend that can put this all together? Not sure if they can mess up, just want to make sure its not a hack job. And how much would it cost for the work?

·
Call an amberlamps!
1,349 Posts
Just clamp it... Its cheap and easy to remove something if it gets damaged or needs to be replaced

You can also clamp it and take it to a shop, have them weild it. Should only cost a few bucks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stan and I were just talking about just using clamps since I called around and muffler shops are charging $400 - $500 for the work. Will try to do it myself. Any locals got some time to help out? I don't mind doing the work, just want guidance along the way to make sure I'm doing it right.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Stan and I were just talking about just using clamps since I called around and muffler shops are charging $400 - $500 for the work. Will try to do it myself. Any locals got some time to help out? I don't mind doing the work, just want guidance along the way to make sure I'm doing it right.

If I can, I will help out. But like I said, Im booked with my own stuff till Late April. Maybe Ill find a couple of hours before then to help out though ;)

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
You can do it. Some help would be nice too. You're a little out of my range or else i would help since i just did a lot of that.

But yeah, once you do it, clamp it and then bring it to a shop to weld up the seams where they were clamped. It should be very cheap as long as theyre only doing the welding and you do the install.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys. So it looks like the following right now and let me know if I have wrong parts and/or part numbers or if you've seen cheaper prices elsewhere.

Bassani Headers - 58150B
$370.50 with free shipping - Rolling Start Auto Parts

Bassani Stainless Steel Y-Pipe without cat - 58150B2
$261.25 with free shipping - Rolling Start Auto Parts

Catco High Flow Catalytic Converter - anyone have a part number? is the one below right? jsut trying to get a part number to shop around online for pricing
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=8072385309&rd=1
$35.33 + $14.67 shipping = $50.00

Hooker Aerochamber - 21506HKR
$64.40 with free shipping - Amazon

Maremont Mandrel Pipe - M30001 (called Autozone and they said its a Vortex tailpipe?)
$29.99 + $2.47 tax = $32.46

Totals
$370.50 - SS Headers
$261.25 - Y Pipe w/o Cat
$50.00 - cat converter
$64.40 - muffler
$32.46 - pipe
------------------
$778.61
Exact same setup as mine, but I went with the aluminized steel Y-pipe, which is $200, saving me $60 or so.

Yes, it's the M30001 Vortex tailpipe. Same description popped up on the Autozone computer, don't worry about it. I'd drill a hole on the lowest point of the final bent if it points upward when exiting the side. Thanks to another member's recommendation, I just did this to prevent water or crap from collecting there.

·
Banned
5,475 Posts
you will have to cut off some autozone tailpipe since it is too long.

the bassani y pipe comes with some clamps...

You might have to weld a hanger to the muffler.

You can weld a hanger to the autozone tailpipe or use a clamp and a hanger instead.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts