Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
perhaps I should wait to repower my project 78 with one of these beasts:ford
it will solve the old 460 weight disadvantage for sure even with an iron block
sounds like a lot of power left on the table too as engine programmed to be run at stoich

cant wait to see the numbers, and how soon aftermarket drops a super in place of the plastic intake!

·
Premium Member
2,187 Posts
Pretty awesome, I didn’t even know this was in the works. I suspect that HP numbers will be pretty healthy even with a factory tune. Hopefully a healthy 400+ hp. The narrow design is pretty neat as well

·
Foolsize Member
1,524 Posts
I can't figure out what I'm looking at spark-wise... COPs on top, connected to spark plugs on the side? Is that a thing?
Its a waste spark ignition system that uses 16 plugs, the coils on top fire 8 plugs and they have wires off of each to fire the other 8 plugs on the side of the head. Its an identical setup to the current 6.2 V8 thats been around since the 2010 raptor, which leads me to believe the 7.3 is just a enlarged version of the same engine.

Also, I wish Ford would quit with the whole hiding numbers charade. So far we know we have a new GT500, new 7.3 V8, an updated 6.7 Powerstroke, and an updated Superduty, yet we have no power ratings or towing info on any of them.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,432 Posts
News of this has been out for a year or more now. Nice to see a BBF come back to fruition. Quite a few articles around and forum discussions on Ford truck sites.

I'll have to wait 20 years to be able to afford it so it's not much different than the new bronco to me

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Its a waste spark ignition system that uses 16 plugs, the coils on top fire 8 plugs and they have wires off of each to fire the other 8 plugs on the side of the head.
Where does the spark originate from? It looked in the video like the COPs are just connected straight to the side plugs, but maybe I missed some wiring or it was just done that way for the cutaway illustration.

Understanding Multi-Coil Ignition Systems

"On late model Corvette, Camaro and other V8s, a Coil-Near-Plug (CNP) setup is used because the spark plugs protrude from the side of the cylinder head and there isn't room to mount a coil on the end of each plug. Here, the individual coils are mounted on the valve cover and attached to the plugs by short plug wires."

That seems to contradict there being plugs on top where the coils sit...

·
Addicted to Junk
10,432 Posts
I know on my DOHC 4.6 with COP, they had a direct connection to a plug buried between the camshafts. They did not have a plug in the side of the head. There was a long rubber phallic protrusion from the bottom of the coil. I believe the SOHC mod motors were the same way.

If my little 281 made 305 hp, I dont see why this 445 can't make 450 hp

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
They've been rumoring a large displacement for a while I heard it may go into the new Raptor.
They had to have known the words super duty and 7.3 would grab some headlines. Fizzles out pretty quick when you find out its a gasser. I'm sure some of y'all are excited for the potential BBF the only way I could support this if it's also CNG.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,464 Posts
Waste spark systems have been around since the early '80s on EDIS engines; but this 7.3 would be akin to the 16-plug setups on the Mopar Hemi engines, and the '90s Ford 2.3 SOHC's. It essentially has the cylinders paired, so that when your firing cylinder is on compression stroke, ready to fire, the companion cylinder is on the exhaust stroke, also ready to fire.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,618 Posts
Please be in the 500+ ft/lb torque range :muscle071 :notworthy

·
Ford Hoarder
6,299 Posts
Please be in the 500+ ft/lb torque range :muscle071 :notworthy
I think this is exactly about where it will be. Also pretty easy to get 1 hp/to per cubic inch, even using 1969 tech. So I think 450hp/500ft-lb is not out of the relm of possible/plausible. However even if capable of they will not rate it higher then the diesel. If you look at the ports and shape they very much so look like a lot of the aftermarket 429/460 heads.

If you listen to the whole thing the "engineer" also says most of it was overbuilt. Example the piston cooling nozzles, conrods and such. So I am sure that engine in a light duty application would likely be more then happy with 10-14 psi of boost on it.
The current 6.2l gasser does have the CNG prep option, I would think this 7.3 will get it too. On the 6.2 this adds hardened valves and special seats, and I am sure a few other things.

I personally think they are going cylinder deactivation route much like the LS engines on this, not the 2nd spark plug route.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,618 Posts
I think this is exactly about where it will be. Also pretty easy to get 1 hp/to per cubic inch, even using 1969 tech. So I think 450hp/500ft-lb is not out of the relm of possible/plausible. However even if capable of they will not rate it higher then the diesel. If you look at the ports and shape they very much so look like a lot of the aftermarket 429/460 heads.

If you listen to the whole thing the "engineer" also says most of it was overbuilt. Example the piston cooling nozzles, conrods and such. So I am sure that engine in a light duty application would likely be more then happy with 10-14 psi of boost on it.
The current 6.2l gasser does have the CNG prep option, I would think this 7.3 will get it too. On the 6.2 this adds hardened valves and special seats, and I am sure a few other things.

I personally think they are going cylinder deactivation route much like the LS engines on this, not the 2nd spark plug route.
I wonder how much the option for the engine will be?

I order my trucks from the factory; no off-the-lot trucks for me.

When I ordered my '99.5 F-350 PSD, said motor was a $4,000 option while the V-10 was a $285 option.

Now the PSDs are a $9,500 option!

·
Registered
112 Posts
This thing is freaking awesome! Can’t wait for the Ford Performance crate motor version. Ill go ahaid & say it, it’s a Big Block Ford LS, witch in my opinion is great. I’m thinking 450hp with 550tq pretty much off idle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts