Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Ford Hoarder
6,280 Posts
This thing is freaking awesome! Can’t wait for the Ford Performance crate motor version. Ill go ahaid & say it, it’s a Big Block Ford LS, witch in my opinion is great. I’m thinking 450hp with 550tq pretty much off idle.
My same thoughts. It is very LS looking, but that is ok with me too.
Curious to see what one sounds like.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,892 Posts
awesome motor, ill take one along with that reg cab super duty wrapped around it. if they make it with a manual trans i might seriously consider getting one

thanks for posting
No sticks ever again. They killed that after the 6.4L. The less drivetrain combos available, the less testing for emissions by the EPA that ford has to pay for. I'm forever stuck buying used trucks when my 6.4L pops.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
220 Posts
Its a waste spark ignition system that uses 16 plugs, the coils on top fire 8 plugs and they have wires off of each to fire the other 8 plugs on the side of the head. Its an identical setup to the current 6.2 V8 thats been around since the 2010 raptor, which leads me to believe the 7.3 is just a enlarged version of the same engine.

Also, I wish Ford would quit with the whole hiding numbers charade. So far we know we have a new GT500, new 7.3 V8, an updated 6.7 Powerstroke, and an updated Superduty, yet we have no power ratings or towing info on any of them.
It's a single plug per cylinder.

·
Registered
418 Posts
No sticks ever again. They killed that after the 6.4L. The less drivetrain combos available, the less testing for emissions by the EPA that ford has to pay for. I'm forever stuck buying used trucks when my 6.4L pops.

Adrianspeeder
i really hope you're wrong, even though you're probably not.

Well, a T56 swap wouldn't be too bad

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
VVT would be only weak point in the engine. Similar to the 3v triton; sludge = lack of oil pressure.

2v triton= good
3v triton no good
4v= good
found online someone reported mid 400k out of a 6.2 hot shot truck before engine had mechanical failure. If it atleast lasts that long i'd rate it as a decent engine. I personally have 516k on a 2v v10.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,392 Posts
Specs released today. 430 HP, 475 Ft/Lbs.

Wish it made a bit more, maybe 10%, but it should be a strong engine. I imagine the tune on it is very conservative.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The specs are definitely conservative but from the few things I've read the engineers saying is that they did it on purpose. Lower compression, lower revving, heavy internals... they built it with low end torque and longevity in mind. I can see this powerplant putting down crazy numbers if it gets suped up right, or drop it into an offroad rig for the new benchmark of bulletproof. Only time will tell but I have a good feeling from this.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,392 Posts
I would think a proper compression ratio, cam, and tune, it could easily produce 550 hp NA, while being daily drivable. Consider the old 460. With just a few mods, they are capable of 600 hp. There isn't but 20 CI difference between em, and the 7.3 has 50 year better technology and design.

But who needs that kind of power for an every day workhorse. No one. 400+ hp with proper gearing will pull what most people need to. It's not a muscle car engine, and it's not an engine meant to be driven all day, everyday, like a tow truck, dump truck, or delivery truck. It's for guys who pull a boat or camper every other weekend. Or the guy pulling a skidsteer around town once a week.

One of our customers had a 78 F250 with a 400. It died on him a couple years ago. It had 468,000 miles on the original engine. It hauled construction materials and farm stuff around all the time. From pulling trailers of hay to pulling stumps; this truck worked for a living. That's the kind of person this engine was designed for. Now he has a superduty with another workhorse (albeit a diesel), the 7.3 PSD.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts