Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
15,666 Posts
I’m assuming the trans code “M” is m5od? It’s a 4sp with OD. Is this the same as the Mazda trans I have heard about? I’m guessing it’s not a very heavy duty trans. That would be the zf5 and 6 correct? I’ve not had a manual OBS ford until now so I don’t know as much about the different transmissions they used.
M indeed stands for m5od. In 87+ broncos and f150, it designates the M5R2 mazda sourced trans. In F250 and 350 it designates the ZF5.

M5OD is often thrown around a lot but its not an actual transmission. It just means any manual 5 speed overdrive trans. You will see the ZF, M5R2, and the ranger sized M5R1 listed as M5OD.

·
Premium Member
5,108 Posts
Bed is handy to have. You might consider a bedliner or bed mat to prevent dents. Got a buddy a 99-04 Super duty head ache rack on his OBS 7.3. Looks real nice and tough. Believe his is custom but RKI makes some nice headache racks. Good for hauling long ladders running boards; wood etc. Strap anything to it prevents your truck from being damaged.

·
Registered
‘95 Bronco XLT 5.0 E4OD, MAF——‘95 F150 XL 4.9 M5OD 4x4, SD
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Bed is handy to have. You might consider a bedliner or bed mat to prevent dents. Got a buddy a 99-04 Super duty head ache rack on his OBS 7.3. Looks real nice and tough. Believe his is custom but RKI makes some nice headache racks. Good for hauling long ladders running boards; wood etc. Strap anything to it prevents your truck from being damaged.
Yea I wouldn’t mind to get a headache rack.
I had a heavy rubber bed liner I pulled out of a barn I tore down that I hoped would fit but it didn’t. Turned out to be for something narrow like a Ranger or s10.

I load a lot of pickups with 1 ton skids on a fork lift and know how much a pain it is to have a truck bed so grippy that a skid won’t slide into. So I hoped that rubber would fit and just roll it up when I need to load something like that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
IMG_6266.jpg

IMG_6279.jpg

Really diggin this paint. Did a quick hand wax on a few spots to see how it looks. I am very impressed. Did the entire passenger door and left the rest of pas. side for a good comparison shot. I’m definitely gonna save up for some body work on the wheel wells. This truck is too nice to let it continue to rot away. Can you even still source this paint color?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
15,666 Posts
View attachment 182266
View attachment 182267
Really diggin this paint. Did a quick hand wax on a few spots to see how it looks. I am very impressed. Did the entire passenger door and left the rest of pas. side for a good comparison shot. I’m definitely gonna save up for some body work on the wheel wells. This truck is too nice to let it continue to rot away. Can you even still source this paint color?
Damn that paint does look good! Looks just like my old 94. Yes you can still source the paint from about any major automotive paint company.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Damn that paint does look good! Looks just like my old 94. Yes you can still source the paint from about any major automotive paint company.
Any idea what a fair price would be for a body shop to put in front and rear wheel well patch panels, prep, prime, paint, and seal?... keeping original color... I’m guessing a lot lol

·
Addicted to Junk
15,666 Posts
Any idea what a fair price would be for a body shop to put in front and rear wheel well patch panels, prep, prime, paint, and seal?... keeping original color... I’m guessing a lot lol
No clue, sorry.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Have no idea also, though I must say that it is a nice truck. Any modification plans in mind?
No not really. Even though it has a bunch of miles I’m really diggin how nice it is in it’s original state so I’m kind of thinking I’ll keep it pretty close to the way it is. I may replace the front bumper and add a grille guard if I can find one for a good price. Winch would be nice. Maybe some auxiliary lights too.
*But I will say this, a painted bumper is much easier to stand on than a chrome one lol. And as much as I hate to say it, I stand on my bumpers a lot with my head under the hood of my fords... but that’s just cuz they’re 26yrs old 😜.
I would like to do some shocks in the near future and maybe some exhaust work, but nothing major. Other than that I’m just doing general touch up work, undercoating the frame etc. hope to get some fender we’ll patch panels also and at the very least make “fender flares” out of patch panels. Not really sure that I want to put a lot of money into body work..

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Have no idea also, though I must say that it is a nice truck. Any modification plans in mind?
EDIT I am working on ideas for a simple headache rack. i got a little jon boat id like to haul on occasion and id rather have it sitting on a headache rack than to have 3-4ft sticking out the back. for now ill probably put pool noodles on the boat walls to cushion it against the cab, (loaded upside down).

·
Addicted to Junk
15,666 Posts
It sounds more like a work truck than a show truck. Take steps to preserve its current state, so the option to restore is always there. Make it nice for what it is, a survivor.

Reactions: Breezeway2021

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It sounds more like a work truck than a show truck. Take steps to preserve its current state, so the option to restore is always there. Make it nice for what it is, a survivor.
yep those are my thoughts as well... im a little bummed though as the more i look it over the more rust i find.. including the pillars in the radiator support rotted out (front clip and fenders can wiggle up and down just a little bit), the bumpers are rusted and painted over, its starting to show through, and a hole in the frame beside the front fuel tank.. :cry: . starting to wonder if its worth preserving or if i should just drive it till it falls apart then save the motor and transmission to put in my bronco... which is much more intact structurally. maybe i can do both... we'll see. It's not like i have a ton of money that i can put into it. but regardless im not upset about the purchase. i still love the truck, and the price was really not bad for the market today. the days of the 500/1000$ car or truck thats actually worth something are next to gone.

·
Addicted to Junk
15,666 Posts
As i said, just preserve whats there. All that can be replaced at some point down the road. I would recommend using a rust converter on any rust just to stop it from spreading.

My 96 F350 has similar issues: rust over wheel wells, on the core support, and then i found this...

Otherwise, its in good shape

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
As i said, just preserve whats there. All that can be replaced at some point down the road. I would recommend using a rust converter on any rust just to stop it from spreading.

My 96 F350 has similar issues: rust over wheel wells, on the core support, and then i found this...

Otherwise, its in good shape
fun lol... yep i will do what i can. good lookin truck :cool: looks pretty much like big brother to mine

·
Addicted to Junk
15,666 Posts
fun lol... yep i will do what i can. good lookin truck :cool: looks pretty much like big brother to mine
Yeah, but it doesnt have that beautiful Bass Boat metallic paint, just a standard blue.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts