Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here so this is my introduction.
I own a 93 EB. I purchased it in 2000 from my father to get him off the road when he became a danger to himself and others. He used it for beach driving (2-3 years) then just short hops around town. At first I thought it was a well maintained vehicle until my first outing on the beach. Various gaskets and seals started leaking. My mechanic had said that was from lack of real use. It also needed new exhaust and radiator. All were replaced. In 2001 my youngest daughter became of age to drive. As the Bronco was a beach/fishing vehicle I decided to allow her to drive it. In NJ at this time the driving laws had changed for new drivers (had to 18 to own at least my understanding) and it just made sense to allow to drive it until she could buy her own vehicle. One night she is stopped at a light, believes her light turned green, proceeds across 5 lanes (3 each way) and is broad sided on the passenger side. Some how she does a 180, and the passenger side lands on top of a Camaro that was going in her opposite direction. She was unhurt but pretty shaken. I was teaching how to drive my 5 speed Geo so that she would have a vehicle when I wanted the Bronco to go fishing. The same accident in that Geo would have been a total different result. Thank goodness for how well built the Broncos are. Had I had collision insurance the Bronco would have been totaled but not replaceable at the book value. My mechanic (friend also) made sure everything was working and able to put it on the rack and straighten the frame. The body on the passenger side is not pretty but it passes NJ inspection.

Sorry for such a long introduction but I am at a cross road with keeping my Bronco or starting to look for another beach vehicle. In the past 6 months I have had to replace the 4x4 shifter and brake lines. The AC is no longer working and the salt may be overcoming parts underneath and the tailgate.

I have been poking around this site and gathering a lot of interesting information. I may be able to do some minor repairs myself and have a good reliable and fair priced mechanic for the stuff I cannot. I guess my dilemma is where to start or what to start replacing first. Any input would be greatly appreciated as I would not want to put time and money in the small stuff if there is something major I should check first.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
245 Posts
welcome from the midwest

1 - 7 of 7 Posts