Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intro and some questions

New FSB owner. It's my first 'big' bronco, but I've owned many Ford trucks.

Some of my past Ford trucks:

• 1969 Bronco 302 Sport (wish I still had it!)
  • 1976 Bronco Ranger (wish I still had it!)
  • 1988 F250 4x4
  • 1999 F350 SD V10
  • 2011 F150 SuperCrew EcoBoost FX4 (still own it and love it)

I was at the Denver Mecum auction yesterday, honestly looking at some of the EB's (but ended up going for way over my budget for a second truck) and a '91 Eddie Bauer Bronco caught my eye... Before I knew it, it was mine!

With auctions, you are pretty limited in what you can check out before you buy, and while I'm still happy with my purchase, it looks like I ended up with a 'pretty' truck that still needs a few things sorted out.

First, a quick picture, moments after it was 'mine'.

Some details:
  • 1991 Ford Bronco
  • Eddie Bauer Package
  • 5.0L engine
  • 5 speed manual transmission (4 + OD)
  • H9 gearing (3.55 limited slip?)
  • Nearly perfect body, no rust, factory color respray
  • Very clean interior
  • ~100K miles
  • Fresh Terra Grappler tires and wheels.

-- Next up, the 'not so pretty'.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The 'Not So Pretty'...

Didn't take long to discover a few issues that I would have spotted right away on a non-auction purchase with a test drive and more thorough inspection.

First up, steering.

Wow, it was loose! Not cool at all. No right turn signal. Tilt column stuck in full up (bus driver) position. I've read a few dozen threads since last night and have learned quite a few of the possible issues, and spent much of this morning tearing into my steering column and inspecting the underside.

Steering Column:

• Turn signal switch mechanism isn't visibly broken, but it wasn't locking into right turn, so I'll probably replace. Still hunting for part numbers and best place to purchase, though it seems to be readily available at local and online auto-parts stors.
  • Tilt release plastic bushing on end of turn lever is broken. I can't find what this part is called, a part number, or a source. See Picture Below.
  • Bearings. Was able to get the front-most bearing out by removing the spring clip, still haven't figured out how to get the tilt mechanism off to get to the second bearing. Still need part numbers and source (or I'll just bring them to a local bearing shop)
  • Lock cylinder is a bit stiff.... Might just replace since anyway.
  • After turning key to start/run, you can not turn the ignition off without pressing the release mechanism on the bottom of the column. Is this normal?
  • Are there other bearings that frequently go bad that I need to dig down to?

Steering Mechanism:
  • links and connectors on the underside and wheel bearings seem tight and without wobble, but I haven't checked it with the wheels off the ground yet.
  • PS pump shows signs of leaking... Too much grunge to figure out where the leak is, need to clean it up first. If issues, replace with saginaw pump?
  • Still need to check the steering box and mechanisms for play, but I need a helper. If the box is shot, sounds like the 'redhead' rebuilt box is recommended? Do they have the correct box for a '91?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 'Not So Pretty', continued...

Oil blow-by? [more to come]

Clutch? [more to come]

·
Registered
839 Posts
It looks sharp! Frankly, going through the mechanicals and such may well provide you with a nice looking and good working rig. Congrats and have fun!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks sharp! Frankly, going through the mechanicals and such may well provide you with a nice looking and good working rig. Congrats and have fun!
Yup, always learn tons about my vehicles fixing the little things... Plus I really have no skills or facilities for bodywork, but plenty of mechanical/electrical experience, so the truck is a good fit!

Haven't gotten a chance to write up the 'blow-by' part of my not-so-pretty, but I am a bit concerned. Definitely getting some oil deposited in the airbox through the return from the drivers valve cover. Haven't had a chance to check the pcv valve or anything else yet, but I'm hoping the rings aren't overly worn!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Good looking truck!

Steering box, I cured mine with just a reman'd box from the local auto parts store. Some say that reman boxes are hit or miss. For me it worked great and removed all the slop.
Same box is used in my 94 Explorer. Probably same pump but without the longer tubing (sort of a cooler) that the Bronco uses. Seems the lighter Explorer is much easier duty for this box design, so at 193k miles my stock steering box is still nice and tight after a input shaft preload adjustment.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I tore apart my steering column a bit more...

Found a few more damaged or broken parts, many of the parts that commonly fail look o.k.

"Tilt Actuating Mechanism" (aka plastic bushing at end of blinker/tilt lever): Definitely trashed. I could try epoxying it back together, but I doubt it would hold. Still don't know part number or source for replacement.

"Actuator Lever" (aka curved, toothed piece that holds the wheel at the selected tilt: Mine looks fine, teeth are sharp. It was, however, loose. The "Pivot Pin" (aka roll pin that holds it in place) was only engaged on one side, leaving the actuator lever a bit cocked. The pin is also now bent. Can probably find a suitable replacement pin.

"Turn Signal Assembly" (aka turn signal switch). Looks fine... I think the difficulty with the right turn signal was due to the broken actuator mechanism not allowing the lever to move cleanly rather than the switch. Will likely replace it anyway, one of the easier parts to get and only about $35.

"Upper Tilt Flange" (aka the metal collar on the steering wheel side of the tilt mechanism). Cracked. Hadn't heard of these breaking before, not sure what impact it will have... Probably impossible to get without picking up a junkyard steering column? Looks too thin to weld.

"Ignition Key Cylinder": Looks fine, but getting a bit loose. Will probably replace it.

"Ignition Actuator Assembly": I know this is a common failure part, mine looks fine.

Bearings: Look fine, outer might be a tiny bit loose. Will replace if easily sourced.​

Parts diagram (courtesy of another member who initially uploaded it

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick update.... Just realized from studying the pictures on autoparts stores that my broken actuator comes with the turn signal assembly, a readily available part. Good news!

·
Forward Some Money
5,047 Posts
The flanges, last time I checked, were still available from Ford. That was a couple years ago, but there are vintage Ford part dealers that should have it. I have also seen them on Ebay. They aren't cheap, and it's a good couple of hours replacing them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, steering column is now good....

Disassembled most of it, new bearings, new turn signal switch, new key cylinder, lubed and reassembled.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MUCH better now... The tilt mechanism was also a bit jacked up (pin had slid partially out), but fortunately the teeth were still good.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everything in the column (rotationally) is now very tight, all the way down through the rag joint. Everything below the steering box seems to not have any slop, but there is definitely some slop in the steering box.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ordered new Redhead box today... About $300 shipped, $100 core. Double what a Cardone reman box runs on Amazon (and no core charge), but the reviews make it seem worth the money. Nothing worse than installing cheap or bad parts that need to be removed again for a replacement, even if the part is under warranty.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This week I've moved on to prepping for the new steering box, ordered some new shocks, and am thinking about replacing the flexible brake lines...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As the truck is new-to-me, I've been inspecting things as I go along.... Mostly it's in great shape, cosmetically really nice, lots of new parts.... But they did skip a few things.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
e.g:

Brake rotors and pads are pretty new, but soft brake lines look near end-of-life.
New bushings in the suspension, but old crappy Gabriel shocks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New hose on the engine, a/c lines, but PCV vent hose had a hole in it and the air filter was desperate for replacement.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts