Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone,

Proud new FSB owner (supposed to be hunting only vehicle).

1990 351W/E40D 165,000 Not ragged out!!

Vehicle sat at previous owners for some time while For Sale. Drove home and noticed engine temp would go up at Stop signs. Pulled radiator cap and was half empty. Filled and replaced sending unit.
Been running fine for a week. Came off the interstate ramp, and at stop sign temp gauge went to RED. Pulled over and top radiator hose was boiling. Let cool down and checked level. Was OK, so drove 30+ miles home without incident or temp in the RED. Thought it might be a sticking thermostat, so I replaced. Refilled system per manual, which says to leave cap OFF and as thermostat opens, coolant should flow. Here's the good part: When the thermostat opens, coolant rushes out the top of the radiator, I refill, termostat re-opens and pumps more water out the top again. I thought it might be an air pocket,but doubt it. Supposedly, a new water pump and thermostat were replaced. I replaced the thermostat just to be sure. If I drive the Bronco, the gauge goes towards the Red, and I shut it down to be safe.

Any and all suggestions are very welcome.:banghead

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would recommend flushing the radiator. Any auto parts store will have some type of flush available. Follow the dircetions and then refill, see how it does then.

·
Registered
273 Posts
If this only seems to happen when you stop or creeps up when you come to a stop, that would indicate that the fan is not working properly. At speed, the fan is not needed and usually cuts off. When you are stopped, the air flow across the radiator stops and the fan is engaged to blow air across the radiator to keep it cool. Next time this happens, check the fan and make sure it is turning.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Make sure the fan is bolted on the correct way.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
if your upper radiator hose is that hot your T-stat is staying open.

when i buy a new used vehicle i change all fluids. replace wire cap rotor and plugs, tstat, air, fuel, oil, and tranny filters. just a thought you might want to give her a hell of a tune up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts