Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first post. Sorry if there is a thread somewhere about this but I couldn't find one. I have a 89 Bronco with the 300 inline 6 and a M5OD transmission that we recently bought for our daughter's first car. She doesn't like the shifter ball (especially in the summer). I bought a new ball but it's screw on and everything I've read said the one that's on currently is slip on. Since it won't come off, I'm guessing it's either glued or J.B. welded on. That being said I thought I'd just replace the whole gear stick and boot with one that has a threaded top. Does anyone know where I can buy a new one, (other than a pick and pull)? If I'm not mistaken it's a single bolt onto the transmission. Thanks in advance for the help! Picture for reference.
Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Tire Motor vehicle

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,571 Posts
Eww I dont blame her for not liking that!

Try hitting the bottom of the knob with a hammer and chisel/punch.

All of these factory shifters are a splined press fit. None thread on. You could drill the new knob to the right size then lightly silicone it on.

Reactions: NickOille

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,476 Posts
I assume you've looked around the base of the knob to make sure there's not a set screw on there? It's either adhesive or that holding it on.

I'm not aware of anywhere to buy the shift levers new, and they're not the easiest to find at JY's. People know how much they're worth... But yeah, if you do remove it for replacement or just ease of knocking the knob off from the bottom, it's just one bolt holding it on. It's a tricky system at first. The nut gets removed from one side of the bolt and placed on the other. When you tighten it down, it pulls the compression fit bolt out. A 17mm ratcheting wrench will make the job much easier.

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,887 Posts
Try putting a little heat to it and see if softens the adhesive or at least expands the aluminum.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,571 Posts
and they're not the easiest to find at JY's.
I swear nearly every single M5R2 i see has the shift tower removed, and 75% of those are laying somewhere else in the truck. I dont get it.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I swear nearly every single M5R2 i see has the shift tower removed, and 75% of those are laying somewhere else in the truck. I dont get it.
Weird. They're worth close to $100, so removing them makes sense, but leaving them behind in the truck is a head scratcher. Maybe people can't tell the difference between a M5OD and ZF5 from the top, and are too lazy to look below, so pull the shifters for a better look? That's all I got.

Hmm, I suppose one other reach of a possibility is the workers themselves remove them first thing, in case they decide to pull the tranny. Less to remember later.

·
Addicted to Junk
16,571 Posts
Weird. They're worth close to $100, so removing them makes sense, but leaving them behind in the truck is a head scratcher. Maybe people can't tell the difference between a M5OD and ZF5 from the top, and are too lazy to look below, so pull the shifters for a better look? That's all I got.

Hmm, I suppose one other reach of a possibility is the workers themselves remove them first thing, in case they decide to pull the tranny. Less to remember later.
Neither make much sense. Workers dont pull trans in these trucks at the local yards; they have other full service yards where they do that. And if you cant tell the M5R2 from a ZF5, you have no business being in a JY!

My thought was getting at something just inside the tower, like the little pawl thats on a ZF. But Idk much about the M5R2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I assume you've looked around the base of the knob to make sure there's not a set screw on there? It's either adhesive or that holding it on.

I'm not aware of anywhere to buy the shift levers new, and they're not the easiest to find at JY's. People know how much they're worth... But yeah, if you do remove it for replacement or just ease of knocking the knob off from the bottom, it's just one bolt holding it on. It's a tricky system at first. The nut gets removed from one side of the bolt and placed on the other. When you tighten it down, it pulls the compression fit bolt out. A 17mm ratcheting wrench will make the job much easier.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Neither make much sense. Workers dont pull trans in these trucks at the local yards; they have other full service yards where they do that. And if you cant tell the M5R2 from a ZF5, you have no business being in a JY!

My thought was getting at something just inside the tower, like the little pawl thats on a ZF. But Idk much about the M5R2.
They are after the rubber bushing under the dust shield… upper and lower bushing located to right and left of dust shield
Dorman 917-551 Manual Transmission Shifter Repair Kit for Select Ford / Mazda / Mercury Models (OE FIX) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJ4EF0C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4NPPSJAA9AHNP2HNDZTS

OP, if you find a shifter let me know where you found one. I’m looking for a normal threaded shifter as well instead of the flared shifter…I might have to but the bullet and get a Core-Shifter short through shifter though for my project…but they are special order only

·
Addicted to Junk
16,571 Posts
Not totally sure about the M5R2, but the ZF5 has an identical shifter body tube. It is removable and leaves a short little stub you could weld on whatever you want. The body tube is held on by a large rubber piece and glue so you may have to heat the base up a bit.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
They are after the rubber bushing under the dust shield… upper and lower bushing located to right and left of dust shield
Dorman 917-551 Manual Transmission Shifter Repair Kit for Select Ford / Mazda / Mercury Models (OE FIX) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJ4EF0C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4NPPSJAA9AHNP2HNDZTS
My two guesses didn't seem overly likely, that but that seems even less so. The repair kits are so cheap, and the originals so likely to be toast, I can't see many people going to the trouble. Who's gonna pull and leave every shifter in hopes of finding one that's had the repair kit done recently, when the shifter is worth 5x as much as the kit??

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
My two guesses didn't seem overly likely, that but that seems even less so. The repair kits are so cheap, and the originals so likely to be toast, I can't see many people going to the trouble. Who's gonna pull and leave every shifter in hopes of finding one that's had the repair kit done recently, when the shifter is worth 5x as much as the kit??
Idk… a lot of people don’t realize how easy and cheap the kits are to get still… but a person could pocket the bushings without the yard even knowing… so free..

·
Addicted to Junk
16,571 Posts
Lol saw one the other day. They take the whole top cover off of the trans.

And FYI, ZF sticks are not quite the same as the Mazda sticks. Close, but no cigar.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Lol saw one the other day. They take the whole top cover off of the trans.
That would actually make more sense. The M5OD's achilles heel is the three rubber plugs up top losing oil. I bet a lot of people don't know about the freeze plug replacement trick, so they're after a non-leaky top plate.

Mine had a bunch of RTV sealant around the rubber plugs, so someone was obviously trying to address a leak up there at some point. I swapped them for freeze plugs and the area is as dry as can be ... although I've got a very small leak coming from somewhere else down below that I've yet to identify. Who knew, the leaky rubber plugs were a design feature to keep the rest from leaking? :)

·
Addicted to Junk
16,571 Posts
Yea… actually not even close… wish they were though… it would be so much easier to build my custom shifter that way.
I meant just the part you can see when driving. The main tube is very similar. But the actual mounting is completely different.

That would actually make more sense. The M5OD's achilles heel is the three rubber plugs up top losing oil. I bet a lot of people don't know about the freeze plug replacement trick, so they're after a non-leaky top plate.

Mine had a bunch of RTV sealant around the rubber plugs, so someone was obviously trying to address a leak up there at some point. I swapped them for freeze plugs and the area is as dry as can be ... although I've got a very small leak coming from somewhere else down below that I've yet to identify. Who knew, the leaky rubber plugs were a design feature to keep the rest from leaking? :)
I know about the plugs, but the whole top plate was still there, plugs and all

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
I know about the plugs, but the whole top plate was still there, plugs and all
Ooh, never mind then... What did you mean by, "They take the whole top cover off of the trans"? Just the little round part at the base of the shift lever?

·
Addicted to Junk
16,571 Posts
Ooh, never mind then... What did you mean by, "They take the whole top cover off of the trans"? Just the little round part at the base of the shift lever?
Nope the entire top cover, exposing the geartrain inside. The shifter and top cover are usually still as a unit. Are there little wear pads on the shift forks maybe?

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Nope the entire top cover, exposing the geartrain inside. The shifter and top cover are usually still as a unit. Are there little wear pads on the shift forks maybe?
That's what I thought you were describing the first time... The rubber plugs are on the rearward side of that top cover.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts