Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I just bought my first bronco! I've wanted one forever and finally pulled the trigger this past weekend. Its a 1994 XLT w a 6" rough country lift and 35x12.5x15 BFG AT's. The truck has 270k miles on it but its from the south so theres minimal rust. The tires and lift are brand new. The motor is a rebuilt 351.

The wheels look like Mickey Thompsons (15x10s) and they have too much backspacing. The tires are tucked, which is good for inspections but suck when turning. They rub like crazy in the radius arm. Im looking to buy new wheels. What backspacing or offset should I get to stick the tires out an inch or two and get them away from the radius arm? I want to go with 15x10s. I'll keep the wheels that are on it now and buy some used but inspectable tires to get it to pass inspection and then swap out with the new wheels after.

I've done a lot of research and looked around and have seen that 3.625" backspacing should be enough to get them away from the radius arms and outside the fender about an inch. Your thoughts? What would be the next lower typical backspacing amount after 3.625"? 3.5"? If anyone has pics of a bronco with my setup (6" lift and 35s) with wheels that they know the backspacing / offset of please post them up so I cna get an idea of what mine would look like.

Anyone know the conversion of backspacing to offset? Ex: 3.625" of backspacing = XXX" offset.

THANKS!!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And it begins......Bronco is in the shop before I can even drive it. Rear drive shaft is clunking like crazy. Mechanic says the angle from the shaft to the transfer case is too steep and binding on itself. He said the yokes are touching and was wondering if the rough country lift was supposed to come with a drop bracket for the transfer case. I called rough country and they said no.:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
383 Posts
And it begins......Bronco is in the shop before I can even drive it. Rear drive shaft is clunking like crazy. Mechanic says the angle from the shaft to the transfer case is too steep and binding on itself. He said the yokes are touching and was wondering if the rough country lift was supposed to come with a drop bracket for the transfer case. I called rough country and they said no.:banghead:banghead
The rough country came with leafs or blocks? I think I've read in other threads that the factory blocks need to be kept whenever possible to prevent this from happening and when lifting, to lift via new springs or additional springs.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The friggen stock wedges arent there. The mechanic said they were but he was looking at the rogh country shims. I ordered a set and they should be here tomorrow. Hope this works

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Truck is fixed! It wasnt the wedges, the shaft was replaced and all seems good. Im wondering if I should put the wedges in anyways? It has the rough country shims in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
if you are looking for some new rims, I have some 15x14 MT aluminum wheels I am trying to unload. I have them on my 86 with a 6" lift and 39" tires. Not sure the backspacing but they do not rub. PM me if your interested.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts