Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at getting a cheap project truck for a few weeks. I have a part time job that I have to drive on a hilly gravel road to get to. My current DD is a lowered 85 Mustang GT vert. I would like to retire the Mustang from DD duty and restore it. I perused Craig’s list for a while to see if I could find something cheap with a bad motor. I have a few V-8s sitting around. Then while looking at some of the Broncos that were around. I remembered that my Bro-in law had a Eddie Bauer just sitting over at my cousins farm. Back in 2003 he had put a new motor in it and left it for his girlfriend at the time (not my sister) to drive when he went to basic training. The girlfriend didn’t bother to break it in properly and proceeded to drive the snot out of it killing the new motor.:smilie_slap He then put another new engine in it but didn’t get it running before deploying to the Persian Gulf with the Navy. After his return he joined the Air National guard , started dating my sister, got married, and then volunteered to go to Iraq. So he had never gotten around to doing anything with the Bronco. When I asked him about it he said go ahead and take it. I was willing to pay a few hundred for it, but he just let me have it.:rockon So I owe him a big THANK YOU. Adam, you’re a great American and a great Bro.
I have probably rambled on long enough for now so here are some pics.

It has had some poor rust repair done on the left side.

normal tailgate rust

mouse house

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
badass man... nothing like a vehicle for $FREE-FITTY

·
My Bronco Isn't My Only
1,014 Posts
Thanks Guys.
The Explorer is mine err I mean the wifes. Here Is another pick with Boath. Do you think I should paint the Bronco with the newer EB colors? Having matching trucks might seem kind of lame.
I'd leave it, or restore it. But that's just me :thumbup
Looks sweet bro, wish I got a free Bronco :(
Welcome to the forums!

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Welcome to FSB ~ :thumbup

What a great story Brother! :rockon

I would get it "dailed in" up and running first, do a house cleaning inside and out...lol lol...make it your own now...learn everything you can about the BKO mechanically then worry about the exterior you know...:doh0715:

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,598 Posts
The most expensive vehicles I have ever owned were free.
:beer agreed!

second most expensive ones were the "cheap" ones :toothless

Welcome and enjoy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to FSB ~ :thumbup

What a great story Brother! :rockon

I would get it "dailed in" up and running first, do a house cleaning inside and out...lol lol...make it your own now...learn everything you can about the BKO mechanically then worry about the exterior you know...:doh0715:
That is pretty much the plan I have for it. The first thing will be to go through all the wiring. The mice have eaten their way through the engine compartment; vacuum lines too. I’ve seen worse though. I’m hoping the underside of the dash looks better. I then plan to get it up and running and check over the rest of the drive train. Then probably tare it down to the frame and rebuild it from the ground up. I am planning on doing a few modifications along the way. Maybe a custom paint job. I was thinking of going black and grey. The wife isn’t on board with that yet. That pallet would have me changing the interior to grey as well. Witch sounds like a big deal until you consider that the carpet will have to go any way because of the mice droppings, and the front seats are pretty worn looking. It also won’t be that big of a deal to repaint the inside of the top when I am shooting the rest of it. All of the rest of the hard plastic can be died. I may also consider medium wedge wood blue; a color Ford used in the late nineties. Which would probably look fine with the brown interior. I might even keep the tan on the outside with that color; although I would probably change it to something more like harvest gold.

Here is the only shot I have of the interior. This doesn’t look to bad. The highest concentration of mice droppings is behind the rear seat.

Here is a close-up of the distributor cap and what’s left of the spark plug wires attached to it.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
You don't have to break the bank$$$$$$ over night to start you know....lol lol.....get the ignition wiring and vacumm lines sorted out so it will run/start......

First I would throw in a set of plugs, change the oil/filter and backflush the engine/cooling system with "water only" to see what actually comes out, re-useable radiator and heater hoses can be washed with Tide to clean out any crud, change the T-stat and if you can get/borrow a pressure gauge I would test the system for leaks just as a precaution you know....any leaks will show up right away so you can deal with them.......don't forget to clean the overflow tank......

If everything shakes out OK, fire it up and warm the engine to normal operating temp and then start with the test - KOEO = key on engine off and see what initial "fault codes" show up then restart and do KOER = key on engine running and see how the emissions system, engine and vehicle computer are doing, you'll need a Ford Code Reader or use the "plusing technique" ......PITA.... www.fordfuelinjection.com and www.broncolinks.com offer additional help sources in these areas.....

Check the fan belts tension and clean all the connections and cables on the "starter relay", ground the NEG battery cable to the frame and make sure the battery is fully charged but if you buy a new one get an 850CAA battery, Costco has them for around $81.00 out the door....worth very penny and the BKO will thank you everyday........trust me.....

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Because the BKO has been sitting outside for sometime there could be some rust inside the cylinders and rings etc. so you may want to put a torque wrench, large drive and IIRC 15/16"socket on the crank bolt and turn the engine by hand to see if the internals will move easily, otherwise it could be frozen and not start with key etc.

If that's the case squirt some PB Blaster down the spark plug holes and let it soak into the rust and try again by hand to break it free.......

You never know............:doh0715:

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome to FSB!! Nice deal sounds like the price was right.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts