Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my name's Pete and I'm new here. I own a 91 Ford Bronco that was basically given to me when the original owner blew the engine, it's a 91 5.0 Eddie Bauer 4x4 automatic. The body and interior are in perfect condition, no rust anywhere. Now my problem is with the engine, according to the old owner the engine is blown. I came across a 4.9L straight six off a 91 F-150 on Craigslist for fairly cheap. Will the 4.9L bolt up to the transmission's bellhousing in my 5.0 Bronco? I've also heard that these Broncos have like 3 different types of transmissions, how can find out which one I have. My question is, is it possible to pull off this swap and is it even worth it? I know that I'm going to have to also get the wiring harness and ECU for the 4.9 as well as other accessories including motor mounts. Should I just look for another 5.0? And if so can I use one off of a Mustang, Crown Victoria, F-150 etc.?

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm new to Ford trucks but I'm already loving my new to me Bronco. Will post pics soon :toothless

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
your better off sticking with a v8 because swapping to a I6 is going to require more work than a direct swap.

but anything can be done.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,061 Posts
your better off sticking with a v8 because swapping to a I6 is going to require more work than a direct swap.

but anything can be done.
:stupid

It may be fairly cheap to get, but all the change overs will end up costing you more than a direct swap.

·
Registered
311 Posts
5.0 only, 88 thru 92 f150s e-150s crownvicks will work anyyear any one of those will be a direct swap. swapin in a 4.9 will cost to much in the end

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
For transmission identification check the bolt pattern, I know the AOD is 14 and E4OD is 17, for for additional info go here: www.broncolinks.com

If the engine mileage isnt too high and it's just a head gasket/s that's blown just pull off the heads and either get them rebuilt or get new ones ready to bolt on ...with new head gaskets...OR depending how how good your wrenching skills are you could probably get a long block rebuild kit from Federal Mogul at a very decent price and DIY rebuild for less then half the cost of crate motor....

If the vehicle is really clean it's definately worth fixing the engine...and keeping it...

Good Luck ~

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
X4 on sticking with a V8, the 4.9 is a good engine and is a work horse that will last forever but the work you would have to do wouldn't be worth it and the 5.0 would be worth putting the money in. You could probably find a good 5.0 for cheap if you look around.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It will bolt up to the tranny. You'll have to swap engine perches. The killer thing on this kind of swap is if your 5.0 has an E4OD tranny, you're gonna have to run either a transmission controller, or find a computer for a 4.9 and E4OD(prob hard to find). Then there's all the little things you have to think about, radiator has the inlet on the opposite side. I just did the opposite of this swap on my '67 F100, dropped a 5.0 in where a 240 was.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Make sure you get yourself a later 5.0....with the factory roller cam.

I would puchase a shortblock and purchase some AFR185s, install 1 piece pushrods, roller rockers, shortie headers and youre set!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts