Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im not really "new" i have been browsing the forum alot lately but just registered. anyways i just turned 16 and have started wheelin some. i have a 1986 f150 with 4 inches of lift and 33's. hopefully soon ill be movin up to 6 inches and 35's. one of my questions was.. the speedometer cable keeps commin outta the tranny. i have put it in and got it as tight as possible but it keeps comming loose ? any ideas? also when i bought the truck non of the dash guages worked. we just bought some new guages and stuck them in and everything is good to go. the tach for some reason reads that it about 500 rpms below what it really is.. for example when your really at about 3500 it reads 3000 rpm.. ive already checked for loose ground wires but nothing.. also. since the gas guage didnt work we figured it was wiring. we checked and didnt find much. so we looked around and seen JC Whitney has gas guages complete with sender and all for like 20 bucks.. anybody know anything about these? thanks in advance everyone.. :thumbup

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sounds like either the threads on the tranny or the cable are stripped. Check them out and see which one it is.

As for the tach not reading correctly, how did you determine this??

And I would stay away from the $20 fuel gauge/sending unit from jc. Just my $.02 and ya got what ya paid for.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
I agree. What are you basing your assumption of the tach being off on?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im not completely sure what the truck is idleing at. but i know it is much higher then the 400 rpms it reads. im sure its closer to 900-1000. and as for the gas guage i have no idea what else to do. its the cheapest way and truely i dont need it that bad. but when im out wheelin without anything at all i often get caught off guard and run out of gas and end up having to switch to the back-up tank. so its better then nothing./

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Yeah, some tachs come with the ability to run on 4/6/8cyl engines, at least on boats they do for aftermarket ones... I'd check the manual that came with it.

As for the cable coming off the transmission, did you use a little bit of loctite on it?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Also some of the more high end timing lights have the ability to read RPM.....you could use one of these to confirm actual RPM if you have access to the tool.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it is the stock tach and it is a i6. this weekend i plan on checking the timing to see what it is really running at. if i cant figure anything i plan on soldering a ground onto the back of the tack and running all new wire to the coil. if this doesnt work i guess its time for a aftermarket tach. but im sure it is completely wrong. when i get the rpms way down crawling over stuff it shows there are 0 rpms

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I agree with Patriot, try some Eqqus Gauges at O Reily...or Sun Pro...better quality.....I would just jump a tach off the coil to verify....NEVER and I mean NEVER try to set RPM by ear....tin ears, and all...
As far as the other, check the threads,a nd maybe use some teflon thread tape (from Lowes)...

Rotsaruck with the BKO....PIX?

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
I had that problem with mine, turned out the threads in the T Case were stripped. I put some JB weld in there and removed it a few minutes later, worked like a champ.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts