Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Today I am helping a buddy replace a leaking fuel tank in his 1990 bronco. We got the tank and straps I just had a few questions. What size are the bolts holding up the fuel tank. Also, should we pickup a fuel line disconnect tool? I am pretty good with a wrench and have done a tank before, just never on a bronco. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,443 Posts
if i remember right they are 14mm bolt and 16mm nut, and the broncos have a tank shield not straps. and for the line mine came apart just by sliding the plastic lock out bout a half inch by pushing the two lines together to release pressure. and dont forget to pull pump relay or disconnect the battery!:beer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So when he got the new tank it came with straps. You don't use them? Is there a certain specific fuel line tool to pickup there are a few differant kinds.

·
Super Moderator
4,971 Posts
Shouldn't need to use the straps. The Broncos have a skid plate over the gas tank and that's used to hold the tank up. On mine (may be different on later years), the bolts were a lot bigger than 14 or 16mm. It was either an 18mm or a 3/4" or somewhere around there. Also, be sure to load them up with WD-40 or the like a couple hours (and times) before starting.

·
Registered
‘90 EB Full Custom build -Mega Truck Bogger
612 Posts
So when he got the new tank it came with straps. You don't use them? Is there a certain specific fuel line tool to pickup there are a few differant kinds.
My Bronco has a Sheild or tub that the tank sits in and comes down with the tank....its not hard to drop....dont remember what size bolts it has but i remember buying new ones cause the old ones were a real pain to break loose....I didnt use a special tool to disconnect the fuel lines but i do remember the little plastic connectors are easy to break..be careful.....dropped my tank with wrenches and a screwdriver....dont forget the fill hose to the tank....take loose first and hook up last..the locking ring around the fuel pump needs care too..dont forget the washer when replacing the pump..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, what a horror show. Soaked the bolts for a day in pb blaster. Every single one of the 5 bolts holding the tank plate on were stripped. Tried every single ratchet, wrench, size imaginable and nothing fit correctly. Ended up have to cut off all of the bolts. This took about 6 hours making sure not spark. Once all the bolts were out it took no longer than an hour. Got all new hardware and everything is ready to go. One question though, when we took out the skid plate there seemed to be old plastic film of sheething between the tank and plate. Was this to lower the noise of the pump, as now it seems louder. We removed this tape/plastic as it was in bad shape. Thanks.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It was likely to keep the metal tank from rubbing on the metal skid. That would not be a good situation. Get something in there, preferably rubber or something that won't absorb and hold water causing your tank to rust out.

·
Registered
‘90 EB Full Custom build -Mega Truck Bogger
612 Posts
Wow, what a horror show. Soaked the bolts for a day in pb blaster. Every single one of the 5 bolts holding the tank plate on were stripped. Tried every single ratchet, wrench, size imaginable and nothing fit correctly. Ended up have to cut off all of the bolts. This took about 6 hours making sure not spark. Once all the bolts were out it took no longer than an hour. Got all new hardware and everything is ready to go. One question though, when we took out the skid plate there seemed to be old plastic film of sheething between the tank and plate. Was this to lower the noise of the pump, as now it seems louder. We removed this tape/plastic as it was in bad shape. Thanks.
I didnt have anything between mine when i dropped my tank..but it does make since to have a barrier there.....since my rig only sees mudholes it is a constant issue to keep the mud out of there...I dont have any corrosion at the moment but I am well aware that it is a place for water to be trapped and cause corrosion..if your tank is secured properly it should not move..I know mine doesnt budge at all so Im not worried about friction wear...but I am concerened about potential corrosion..the next time I drop it I will think of something to do to prevent that

1 - 14 of 14 Posts