Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a noise coming from left side front end.i had bought new mile marker hubs a while back ago.i decided i would try to put them in.i got the cap off and it looks nothing like what i have read about or seen.it doesnt resemble the new ones at all.do i just try and get all the old stuff out and put the new ones in? if someone can direct me to a write up on installing new hubs(not the auto hubs to manual swap,i already have manuals) i would really appreciate it.i have been looking for a long time

·
ford freak
731 Posts
first, dont double post. it looks bad on you, confuses us, and make the site hard to use.

to answer your question, if you have manuals its not going to look like the auto hubs but the same principles apply: snap rings and C clips. you should also already have the spindle nuts, so all you need to do is pull the old stuff out and put the new stuff in.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry for the double post,i tried to delete the 1st one.wat is the spindle nut? i should have waited for someone to help that actually knows wat they are doing.im confused with these L-shaped things sticking out after i got the cap off.they are about a 1/2in wide and are on some sort of spring.one of them broke off cuz i had to hammer around the cap to get it off.sorry bout these questions im sure they are kinda stupid

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
seriously,i have been searching for 3 hours.all i can find is the auto hubs to manual hubs swap.not just manual to manual.please help.i need my bronc fixed by monday

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Here, THIS should help? Scroll down until you see manual hubs. There is only 2 snap rings to remove and then the hub will slide out. It talks about using a puller, but you can just thread in a couple of the cap screws into the hub body to pull on those. The hub should slide out relatively easy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for that.im at work right now.i will try to get it done when i get home.if not i will post some pics of wat im trying to explain

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im a complete idiot im sure.ive looking at your 83 bronco page.all i get is pics.do i have to do something else? i sure cant figure it out.bout to put a rag in the gas tanks and light it

·
ford freak
731 Posts
im a complete idiot im sure.ive looking at your 83 bronco page.all i get is pics.do i have to do something else? i sure cant figure it out.bout to put a rag in the gas tanks and light it
if your that lost after all of the info, post up some pics of what you have. it might help us see what your problem is.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
i got half the hub out.should the axle,the part the hub came off of, be loose?
What do you mean by half the hub? There is only the hub cover and body. Also, what do you mean by loose? The axle should be able to move in and out about an 1/8".

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hoxviii you are right.the L-shaped thing was the actuating cam body.some PO did that.i believe i will be able to get it out today.do i need a special 4 pronged tool?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Yank it out, pliers, magnet, whatever.

Sometimes the grease has parts really stuck in there and you'll have to heat them up with a propnae torch to soften the glue action of the grease.

Justin

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow.you are the man hoxviii!!! i got it out.isnt there one more thing to come out?i was told i needed a huge socket or 4 pronged tool.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,205 Posts
The 4 pronged socket is to remove the wheel bearing nuts, the manual to manual hub swap alone shouldn't require it. But, since you had noise issues, you might want to check the wheel & spindle bearings while you're there. Here are some links.

Warn Premium Install -Manual to manual swap.
Wheel Bearings and Spindle Bearings
wheel bearings and swap locking hubs

These 3 threads appear to be the same auto to manual write-up, but the rest of the info is also useful. The photos are good & if you look at the manual install portion, you should see what you're looking for.
Manual Hub Swap
Changing Auto hubs to Warn Manual Hub complete instructions with pics
Install Warn manual hubs

Did you look at the link that Steve83 referred you to? He has good photos & a ton of info in the pics & captions.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i did look at steve83s pics and they helped alot.i finally got someone to come and help me.thanks for all the help from eveyone.it more appreciated than ya'll know

1 - 17 of 17 Posts