Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So heres the deal, I was replacing the rotors, calipers, and brakes. I managed to talk the GF into letting me get new hubs:beer

I picked up a set Mile Marker hubs and set out on my project. :twotu:

Starting out all looked good, did not take into consideration the inteliigence factor of the clerk who gave me wrong parts. After running down parts, changing this and that, I got lost on the new hubs so i shelved the new hubs till I get things figured out.:banghead

So whats the problem? How does the new hub go on? I take off the tire, the cap containing the hub comes off, then i remove the c clip and a washer that has teeth that fit the spline, then I take the big socket with prongs to remove the piece that holds on the rotor and the bearings.

So I put on the rotor and the bearings and screw on the piece with the big socket, I put the washer that fits the splines on and then the c clip. here is where I got lost, the instructions call for a 1 1/4 " clip that they dont provide and parts store didnt have any.

When i put the new hub on does it just go on the end of this existing set up, and then leave the old cap thing off, and mount the new cap on the outside of the wheel cap. Or does part of the existing set up go away. I could use some help on this

·
Banned
32,964 Posts
Add your truck's specifics to your profile & take those locks back - you have the special '87-early 88 "flange-style" manual hub locks, which are outrageously expensive to replace & very weak. You need either ~$600 in flange hub locks, or ~$700 in conversion parts & several hours' labor to convert your front end to the "standard" locks, OR you need a good used axle complete with normal locks which can be had for ~$200 & can be installed in a couple of hours in your driveway. If you get an axle that uses the same style calipers as your truck ('85-94), you won't even have to open the brake lines. Note that '87-early 88 with AUTO hubs use normal locks.

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
So what your saying steve, if you get a front axle from a 91 you can just swap the rotor and axle over and then have the new style hub? Or do you have to change the spindle as well but the 87's caliper will work with it?

I'm still searchin on this and trying to find a good write up, but everything I've seen is very vauge or not complete.. I'm thinking of just replacing the whole front end, but am wondering if I can mark my allignment cams and put them in the same way and keep my allignment without spending the money to have it re-alligned.. Only thing is, the axle I got from the 91 has auto hubs on them.. So I'll have to switch those to manual as well..

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
- you have the special '87-early 88 "flange-style" manual hub locks, which are outrageously expensive to replace & very weak.

Well isnt that special:shocked . I am so glad to find this out:banghead

So I need to find this other style hub, and when I find it make sure same style caliper as mine. then grab axles, etc. Now will my existing rotor work or am I going to need those also.

·
Banned
32,964 Posts
Do you see what's in the coversion kit in the pic on the R above? That's what it takes to convert. Those images are links to JBG, so click them.

Swapping a whole axle is MUCH easier/quicker/cheaper. I did mine because I wore the original SLAP out, and I put in a '96 axle, so mine was more work & it only took me ~2.5 hrs working alone.

·
Back in TEXAS
1,967 Posts
I think I understand exactly what steve is saying. Go to a JY and pull and entire TTB Minus chunk and repalce your existing one. If I ever tear one of my POS flange hubs (or Top Hat Hubs) up this is what I'll be doing. As he said its a helluva lot cheaper than the conversion. If you keep your existing chunk you don't have to worry about gear ratios being different either.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thank you for your input, I will save the links, that steve83 left for me and when I am better prepared for that project, Ill look it up again. Mine work ok for now but have read that they are pretty much junk. Main issue was the rotor on passenger side was shot, as was the brake on that side. Did ok with swapping rotors, calipers etc. The hubs were just a thing to do, while i was there.

Hopefully I can do it before Spring:twotu:

Thanks again !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts