Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i saw this roof rack on a contractors truck the other day, just down the street from my house. i had to ask the guy where he got it from!

long story short, he got it custom made by some old retired guy in abbotsford who builds them as a hobby. said he paid $750 for his model, plus the gas there and back to pick it up.

i have always wanted to add a roof rack to the bronco, but allways thought the camper shell to be too weak to support any real weight, or stress.
i like the concept of the "basket" safari racks, but allways wanted something more/different.

i think the versatility to carry kayaks, or a canoe, bikes, or anything large would be amazing with this light weight but strong aluminum design.

anyways, i wanted to share this with you guys, and ask what you thought of it.

cheers! :beer

PS: i think a metal faber, or vendor on this site would make a killing if they started building these! the demand would be hot!

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
The guy paid $750 for that?? I gotta start charging more.

It's an interesting design, you may have a problem implementing it on a Bronco as the bed rail isn't very thick where you'd want to bolt that on (between the bed side and the pinch weld).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bedrails are at least as thick as any pickup's, but the camper shell bolts aren't parallel.
good to know. one could even put a back plate in the inside of the bedrails to increase support strength.

So lifting it for those plates will prevent the upper bolts & pins from mating any more. It's a good idea for a pickup, but it would be hard to make it work for a Bronco. The plates would have to be VERY thin, so it would take VERY hard metal to support a significant load.
i thought about this aswell. (the upper bolts and pins)
but on the lower bed rails, you could put a foam strip insulation in between the plates to fill in the extra gap, so the metal plates dont have to be too thin.,..or somehow incorporate the same bolts used to fasten the camper top down as the plates... but yes, this would be the hardest thing to over come.

And even then, what are you going to carry? Off-roading equipment & parts? The truck would be too topheavy for wheeling.
nothing SUPER heavy, probably 2 kayaks, canoes, maybe some how attach a bike rack, a thule or one of those cargo mates??... i dunno...

i even thought about some how incorporating it into a rollcage,.. dunno if its possible...or what it would look like without a camper top, but the rack on!?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i like your rack too

ya,. ive read through your whole supermotors page, and i saw your install on your roof racks steve83.

your right, your roof rack would suffice for what i have described so far.

however my design would allow you to go topless and still have the versatility of the rack....i'm also thinking of the guys who have soft tops on here.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya i saw this awhile back too

is that broncoboy's?

i remember seeing those photos before. thanks for the link.
i see how hes attached it to the bed rails... but do you have any pics with the top off?

i wanted the aluminum tubing to be a bit bigger (beefer) and i wanted the extension over the cab part.,..

btw, any idea how much that thing weighs? can it be easily removed?

i dunno why,. but i really like the unique look of these racks.

·
Side step it
1,587 Posts
I see what you are saying but I think it would be a real pain to remove. In the end these Broncos are for whatever WE need them for so if it works for you then Go For It. I think Steve's idea with the Explorer rack is easier since your idea means it would take at least two people to hoist the top & rack off, slide the top from between the rack without screwing it up too much, putting the rack back on & hoisting or storing the top in the garage! I tell you man, that's a ton of work, but if it suits YOUR needs then "You Can Do It".....:thumbup-Kevin-

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
Didn't David do something similar to that?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't follow you. :shrug You're gonna remove the camper shell, but you're gonna keep the bigGER rigid thing over the cargo area to load up with cargo?
Yes! with 2 long ass sea kayaks!

i just want the option of being able to go topless without sacificing the roof rack. if you remove your camper shell steve83, then you dont have a roof rack anymore.,.. thats all i'm saying.

If you want to drive in tight trails, you gotta lose the rack. If you want to reduce the weight, you gotta lose the rack. The factory rack on the camper shell is the cheapest, easiest way to do what you want.
all true,.. even the post by DNBELOWBRONCO,.. i agree that it would be a heavy SOB to remove, and that i wouldnt want to do it often,...but maybe that IS the whole point,.. that IT IS removeable.

PS: i have seen some really cool pulley hoists other FSB members have set up in their garages to remove and store their camper shells...

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
iirc the bottom of our tops are also not flat...they curve to match the body line...you may have to notch the top to get it to sit flat.
Yeah and the pics that zerocool displayed is of a pick up which has a flat surface. The Bronco has a z like pattern. I bought a roof rack from my brother in law from a shortbox for $75 or $100 several years ago with the idea of installing it on my Bronco. But when I removed the canopy, I saw what I was up against with the z pattern. I can't remember what the depth of it is, but it was such that the time spent to make this work, just wasn't worth my time and it is also curved, so using a break press to form some sheet metal wouldn't work without then curving the now formed plate. I prefer to just keep my eyes open for a good deal. Actually, what Steve posted is pretty sweet and a descent load spread over a large area wouldn't hurt the canopies any.

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
[....] Actually, what Steve posted is pretty sweet and a descent load spread over a large area wouldn't hurt the canopies any.
If it's spread out closer to the edge where the canopy is a lot thicker, you could then mount a basket onto it that could probably carry substantially more weight.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
damn your good

i agree.

maybe its just me,.. but i would want the option to be able to remove one or the other.

did i mention i really like the look of it too?

Waltman - i know, this is another one of the biggest challenges.,..probably why its so damn expensive too.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I can understand the point of wanting to go topless yet have a rack up there. But I think I would do it this way. Rack on the top when the top is on, and another rack the bolts on, in place of the top.

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
[....] So MY question to him was why anyone would want to carry YET more than the 300 that mine will hold. [....]
...to answer your question, I'm a big fan of overkill. Not that I would load up that much weight, but that given an option I would chose to go with the highest possible capacity.

That's not to knock your solution; in cannibalizing other vehicles, you're limited to what you can find at the time, and it obviously works for you. :shrug I was just making the point that from a support point of view, the closer you get to the sides, the more support you will have.

:histerica Wow! You carried a Jeep on your rig? :rofl:

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.