Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I figured it would be easier to sort out wit a new thread.

Meeting at the filling station at the roundabout in Nederland at 9:30 Sunday 9/7. Do not worry if you are unclear about the whereabouts of this station it is very obvious when you get there. (hopefully there will be a bunch of Broncos there;))

This is a medium trail but should be good for all. Jenny Creek

I think my son and I are going to bring up mountain bikes and ride the trail back if there is any interest for other passengers to do this I think it would be a kick.

I think we had positive or semi positive maybes from
Shadofax - YES
Larston - No
foxfire? - maybe
Bronc 17113 - No
Zoso
Aurorabusa
co84rc (our Dodge friend) - YES
Hefty (42K SD:thumbup) - YES
coloranger - YES

·
Need a Bumper?
4,769 Posts
You know looking over the trail damage pics I just may bring to truck out. It doesn't look too narrow at any point. I'll probably be the weakest link but we'll find out. I think my only issues will be my long wheelbase and my rediculously high gearing. Whats low-gearing anyway LOL. Just never got around to a gear change when I lifed the truck. I'm still running the stock 3.73's WAY TOO HIGH, but I get better mpg on the highway. Around 12mpg out of a v10 LOL

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Anyone been on this trail recently? What is the story with this: "The first challenge is a very narrow, wooden bridge that you must cross. There is no room to turn around, and backing up would take awhile. The bridge would be extremely challenging for a very wide vehicle, though all vehicles should approach this bridge with caution."

That's the only issue I'd see with your big SD Hefty.

·
Need a Bumper?
4,769 Posts
Looked at the pics on Trail damage and it looks like the "bridge" is an old wood bridge that is no longer even a bridge. It looks like there is a definate bypass through the stream but my SD isn't any wider than a bronco it's just alot longer. I think that for the melt season it probably is the only way through but the stream should be low this part of the year.

"THE BRIDGE"

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Looked at the pics on Trail damage and it looks like the "bridge" is an old wood bridge that is no longer even a bridge. It looks like there is a definate bypass through the stream but my SD isn't any wider than a bronco it's just alot longer. I think that for the melt season it probably is the only way through but the stream should be low this part of the year.

"THE BRIDGE"
I did see that pile of wood, thought it was funny they were actually calling that a bridge.

Anyway, just to confirm Matt, I am TOTALLY in. no bike though dude. would be hard to drive and bike at the same time.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
I think i will be there. I will also be in a SD (unless the wife lets me bring the Cherokee)... Bronco is still in "rework"

Yea!! See Hefty, I've seen this SD in action on Bill Moore trail, no prob.

Looking forward to seeing the "chop top dodge" too, very cool.

·
Need a Bumper?
4,769 Posts
Sweet, I've been wanting to meet Doug anyway to talk about his dual fuel kit. Not to mention that I need to get back out on the trails anyway. I get tired of being the only fullsize when we go out (too many jeeps). My wife is worried that I'm going to hurt the SD and then want a new one. Guess we'll just have to see cause we'll be there. Does anybody else thats planning on coming have kids?

Doug, How is your SD set up?

·
Registered
517 Posts
If i'm back in town i'll be thier and yes I have kids that will most likly be with me.
P.S. i'll let you all know later this week when I get my runs figured out.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could lose a running board here though? LOL Never liked the things anyway, Just a necessary evil

I do not think that rock will touch you on 35s.

I did see that pile of wood, thought it was funny they were actually calling that a bridge.

Anyway, just to confirm Matt, I am TOTALLY in. no bike though dude. would be hard to drive and bike at the same time.
That is why you have to get the wife to come along so she can drive sometimes;) My daughter is chomping on the bit to start driving. need to get around to that.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm out dad is in town that weekend spur of the momentr thing.
Doug if u ned a hand on the 79 let me know I have ben ending up in the springs a lot lately.
That is cool Don, family is ALWAYS first.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts

"THE BRIDGE"
Nope, that's not the narrow bridge. Shortly after you get off the main Rollins Pass road, there is a bridge that goes over a bit of a gully. My FSB on 36" TSL's hung over about an inch on both sides going over the first bridge. Don't know why no one ever posts pictures of the first bridge, but it's definitely the high pucker obstacle on this trail for full width vehicles and newbie drivers.

Looks like I'm out for this trip :banghead :banghead :banghead I needed to get a couple parts for another quick shakedown this weekend and they didn't get shipped in time. I've about got the CJ done, it's down to the niggling little things now.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
that makes a lot more sense. As long as the timbers are in decent shape and thick it should be fine. We had one like this at Broncofest in Wenatchee WA... that one went over a bog area, but was aweful thin, and had a 30* turn !!! Just have to spot each fullsize going over carefully, and slowly.

On the other end, anyone know status on that snowbank? just wondering if our group would make that or if we have to turn around and come back out the same way?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hefty - my SD is just stock w/35's. Nothing extra for offroading. I don't think we will have an issue. The pics of the narrow bridge i saw look like a straight shot on and off.

·
Premium Member
3,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
that makes a lot more sense. As long as the timbers are in decent shape and thick it should be fine. We had one like this at Broncofest in Wenatchee WA... that one went over a bog area, but was aweful thin, and had a 30* turn !!! Just have to spot each fullsize going over carefully, and slowly.

On the other end, anyone know status on that snowbank? just wondering if our group would make that or if we have to turn around and come back out the same way?
Snow bank is long gone, there have been many jeep trips up this year. As for the bridge I do not remember it specifically but I have driven the road in my Bronco so we should be OK there. I doubt it has gotten narrower, I hope.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts